Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What is your take on a fibreglass 1941 willys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Nov 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powrshftr

powrshftr

Cause there aren't many guys I know who want a big ol 4-door.The coupes just look so much tougher than sedans.Its the same with any car.Would you rather have an SS396 Chevelle or a 4-door Malibu?
    And I'm not being a dick or a smartass,I'm just saying that most guys didn't grow up daydreaming about sedans,they grew up daydreaming about SWC and Big John hangin the front wheels in the air.

Scott

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

It looks as if some posters are trying to separate fly shit from pepper with the argument that once you repair a steel car its no longer original. Thats BS. I'd much rather own a repaired steel car that retains it original dimensions then a glass reproduction. I've owned two glass cars and was never happy with either one of them. Thats just my opinion. If someone wants to build a glass car thats their call and their money. Next someone will be complaining about using glass fenders on steel cars.

3. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I've always liked the sedans & they can be made into some pretty bad-ass looking cars. Here's my friend Tommy Schiffilea's 40 Willys running nostalgia A/Gas. It's a all steel car w/ a 41 glass nose. It's been parked in his moving & storage building for about 5 years now. :(

[​IMG]

4. Weasel

Weasel

A Willys sedan is the same size as a coupe and you can make a coupe out of a sedan, so your point is???

[​IMG]

bobby1948 likes this.
  5. 46stude

46stude

I just got through reading up on the "Today's Youth Not Interested" thread, then popped into this one.

No wonder the hobby has less and less young people. The elitism & arrogance in here is unbelievable. Who the frack cares what the car's made of?? Build the bitch & drive it like you stole it. Some of you guys need to get some Midol & check your pads.

6. Larry T

Larry T

So what have we learned so far.

Steel is better because it's original. But if you want to modify it by replacing patch panels or turning a sedan into a coupe (don't know about convertibles or roadsters --- yet), that's ok.

You can replace fenders, doors, hoods, and trunk lids with fiberglass parts because it's traditional. Or you can't (see original above ^^^^^^).

Aluminum is better than fiberglass and maybe steel because------------------

Glad we got that all cleared up, I need another cup of coffee.

7. Agreed! For me, as far as a 41 Willys, it's a coupe or nothing. I've built 2 pretty bad ass 'glass coupes for near the cost of a decent steel body. One of em was a tube chassis, all aluminum BBC that ran mid 10's and I drove all over the place. Would I prefer a steel one? ABSOLUTELY! But I still have'nt found one I can afford. And since all my searching for an affordable steel body has bore no fruit, I'll some day build another 'glass one. Sometimes the heart wants what the wallet can't afford

8. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

I kinda like the look of the Sedan, Could be my next New Mold after we finish the New 33(35) willys truck mold, I'll have to get ahold of the fella on racejunk for more pics of the one on there, I have over the years had calls for them.

Scott

9. Well you can't do that on a Willys unless it's only at the rear most part of the body for weight transfer. Lead is just to damn heavy man.......

10. 5window

5window

I should be doing other things, but this is too much fun:
    1. Everyone has an opinion-only your own should matter.
    2. Many people on the board would prefer an original steel body to a fiberglas one, but not all.
    3. Some of us are so elitist that we'd prefer no car at all to one that was different from what we think/know is the ideal.
    4. Lines get blurry-are Brookville Deuces and Carpenter 40's real because they're steel? Are steel bodied cars with 'glas fenders, hoods and doors real? If you replace 80% of the original body with new steel patch panels is it real? If you put 100% original sheet metal on a new chassis, new glass, new interior, new motor and drive train-is that more real that a 'glas body on an original frame with the original drivetrain and original interior?

4. Everyone has an opinion-only yours should matter.

This is all kind of silly,really.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i agree with this statement 100%.... glass is affordable, replaceable and a shit load of worry free fun.... thanks HRP!

12. Weasel

Weasel

If it has an original steel doghouse/cab and Willys factory original VIN it's a Willys - if it doesn't it isn't.

13. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

A "take" on something requires multiple posts to argue it?

[​IMG]

14. Listen here phucker ,,,,
    Thered be No sense in breaking your stock as well

15. powrshftr

powrshftr

My point is I feel that the sedans are ugly,and just because you dig them,doesn't mean you can force me to drink the kool aid dude.
    As far as making a coupe out of a sedan....if your sedans are so cool,why do you want to make coupes out of them....?

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Weasel

Weasel

^^^First off you are not the OP who asked the original question, and nobody is making anybody do anything, so I am at a bit of a loss as to how you think it is all about you. The OP asked what was the take on fibreglass "Willys" now he has plenty of opinions to choose from and is probably just as confused as he was when he started. So you are entitled to your opinion as is everybody else to theirs. I have a sedan and I like it - I also have a couple of coupes and I am happy with them, but if I did not have a Willys and I really wanted a coupe but could not afford the going rate, I would rather take an original Willys sedan with an original Willys VIN and an original Willys chassis before I would consider a plastic fantastic fake - but that's just me and my opinion - results may vary. And if I really really wanted a coupe instead of a sedan I would do whatever it took to convert the original sedan. This was merely a suggestion that I made in reply to the OP's original question - not to you - as another possibility and one which nobody else had offered up when I first posted it. As they say, "ya makes yer bed and ya takes yer choice". So if you are happy with a 'glass replica' go for it. As for me, I am happy with my choices and opinions and now I am done with this thread as I have to go work on my Willys sedan.

17. powrshftr

powrshftr

When you quote me and reply directly to a post I made,you make it all about me.;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. 5window

5window

Time to say goodbye,boys and girls.

19. luckystiff

luckystiff

As a heads up JW Rod Garage will have their glass version out end of this year first of next year. I can offer it cheaper than direct through them but they couldn't give me a price yet when I asked last week....Ken....

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah.

It would have been nice if we could list why we think one solution makes more sense, while listening to others listing the reasons why another solution makes more sense to them.

But I guess we are just too childish and self absorbed to pull that one off.

We stoop down to drama and personal attacks, while giving a couple of opportunistic fiberglass merchants a place to peddle their shit...

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good god... Panties balled up in a wad in every corner. Donkeys on tables. Oatmeal in carpet.

What the hell happened here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.