Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Ed was too ill to bring the Lencki 6 Indycar car to our Indycars at Havasu Event in Nov of 2011 so Ray Alcaraz went over to his Museum and towed it in for display only.
    Event Photos:
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/c...&page=1&_suid=1383838961171029051930193671194

[​IMG]

Display Page
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/c...t=6&o=45&_suid=138383924226507430942934356979

[​IMG]

2. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Attached Files:

3. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

A friend of mine grew up near Lencki's shop on the south side of Chicago and got to know him well. Lencki told him that he (Lencki) ordered his Trevis roadster so that he would have it for the 1961 500. Somewhere along the line Lencki's Trevis instead ended up going to George Bignotti for Foyt who won the 500 with it. Another car was finished after the race and this is the car in the photo that was entered at Indianapolis in 1962 but didn't get on the track. The car was back in 1963 with Cliff Griffith as the driver who made an incomplete qualification attempt that ended up being a couple of miles per hour too slow to make the field. The car went back to Chicago and apparently stayed there for decades.

5. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks Randall, I added your comments to the database.

6. racer5c

racer5c

Levi was killed in a car accident recently, was a great guy always very nice to me

7. kasultana

kasultana

Need some help with identification. We acquired this car from a friend here in Mooresville. Its been stored in the Charlotte, NC area for some time. Its a great example of how the cars changed over time. Cannot find the driver/owner names from the paint but maybe someone's seen this car in the past. Here's some of the parts on it

- 1937 Chrysler front axle
    - '46-'48 ford left front spindle
    - '37-'41 ford right front spindle
    - '32 ford front spring
    - '33-41 ford 3/4 ton truck rear end/torque tube/trans
    - late 30's ford rear shocks
    - '39 ford wheels

Cool fabrication work throughout the car. Including connecting rods to hold the steering column in, axle parts for torsion bars, hand formed nose and body panels, etc. The '37 21 stud flathead was something we mocked up. The car has a single inlet/outlet radiator and an adapter plate for what looks like a chevy motor. I am planning to sell this car in the future and will be adding it to classifieds in HAMB. Thanks.

Attached Files:

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

NO WORRIES Dean! I was just backing my statements that I felt were doubted by others.

...Plus, I was cranky that day. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------

J Shaw

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

10. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I know that you guys are into the old vintage dirt cars like I am so I thought I would offer these diecast GMP and Carousel cars here. Due to my worsening health (COPD and severe heart condition as well as a few other ailments) I am in need of cash so I am selling off my collection. Here are the cars I have for sale:

These are all complete in their original boxes!

* GMP 1/18th scale Rodger Ward - Kaiser Aluminum Special Dirt Champ Car

[​IMG]

* GMP 1/18th scale AJ Foyt - Sheraton Thompson Special Dirt Champ Car

[​IMG]

* GMP 1/18th scale Eddie Sachs - Dean Van Lines Dirt Champ Car

[​IMG]

* GMP 1/18th scale Bill Schindler - Caruso Midget

[​IMG]

* Carousel 1/18th scale Johnny Rutherford Watson Roadster

[​IMG]

* Carousel 1/18th scale Parnelli Jones Watson Roadster

[​IMG]

I'm just looking for a fair price so make offer if you're interested in any of these.

Thanks so much,

Jim Ruth

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  11. Tank#1F1972.jpg

Tank#1L1972.JPG

I thought you guys might like to see these pictures. Leon Daniels from Blackfoot,Idaho raced Supermodifieds in the Northwest for many years. He went to Ascot one year as a spectator and Greg Weld was there with his Roadster. Leon said Greg really put it to the CRA guys that night. Leon really liked the car. He took pictures of it that night and talked with Greg about it. He went home and built his own. This is how it looked when he finished it. It was sold many years ago to someone in Montana. Leons son found and purchased the car about 5 years ago. Leon is now doing a restoration on it. Really a neat car, and story of how it came about.

12. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  13. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

First of all; how the heck are all of my best racing friends doing? Real good i sure hope!!!!
    Thingsn are not worth bragging about here; Just too damn many ills all at the same time these days. Dont think ill ever see another race, at least in this life. Well, i did get to do a lot of things that the average guy dont get to experience!!!
    Driving Sprint Cars before cages was the highlight of my career, for sure!!
    Hope to hear from some of you someday when you have time.
    Jim

14. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hey Spike, Hello. Sorry to hear of your troubles. To have survived sprint cars before cages is an accomplishment. Denny Z.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Hey Spike, real sorry to hear your health problems and I can relate. Getting old just plain SUCKS! Can't really complain too much, survived a year slogging through the VN jungle and spent 15-20 years building, racing and wrenching race cars. Haven't been directly involved in racing for quite some time and don't get to the races very often. But when I do I head for the pits and, I know it sounds corny, but even to this day, I still get the feeling of being "home" and among "my people" again.

16. Dick L

Dick L

Hang in there Spike.

17. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

18. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Hey Rootie, is your new avatar maybe Dee Jones??
    It just looks like a picture I have in my mind of his on track attitude.
    If so could you post up a larger version.
    I spoke to him just before he passed and his quote to me was"I just liked to race"
    It will be signed on the Indy car he passed his rookie test in when i have it finished.
    Cheers Greg

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know for sure who's driving but it's the Maxson-Jefferies car at (I'm pretty sure) the RIR oval around 62 or so. They had several different drivers at the wheel back then, so it's quite possible it is Jones.

Attached Files:

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Doing a little more looking, I think this is Dee Jones at the same race.

Attached Files:

21. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Maxson-Jefferies, I remember them I practiced in their roadster at Ontario in I think 1970. Wasn't fast enough though. Anyone got a picture of that roadster? Denny Z.

22. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

This one?

Attached Files:

23. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

That's the one. Wow brings back memories. I think that's me in it. Hard to tell, I'll get my wife to blow it up larger. Could be Sammy Sessions also I know he tried it too. Remember we were up against rear engine cars. Thanks 29AVEE8

24. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Denny.

Jim Lattin owns it these days. He told me when he got the car it was a pile of parts. He called Mr. Epperly for some guidance on re assembly. The next morning Quinn and Nye Frank showed up and totally re assembled the car, all the while reliving the stories of how the car was designed, built, and run. Jim said he wished he had had a recorder to get it all down.

25. Wow! Neat car, and one that I have never seen a picture of. Thanks for posting.

26. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

That's an easy one Blackie. That stands for Jones Engineering Company! On a sad note Levy passed away just recently.

27. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

That's Dean Jefferies pushing on the left rear. I don't remember the others. Is Dean still alive and how bout Quinn.

28. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Denny.

Mr. Epperly has been gone since 2001 I think and Dean Jeffries left us earlier this year.

29. baldtireman

baldtireman

Would that be Nye Frank of the "Freight Train" Peters and Frank digger??
    :confused:

30. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Yes.