Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Studebaker Truck Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbacca, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Looking better all the time. Nice work!

2. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Busy Day,
    Suspension is completed tested and works great. Exhaust in, Steering in, Battery mounted and wired.
    Pretty much everything works except the engine. So I'll be missing the St Rose show tomorrow to sort that issue.

Here's some pics of today's adventures.
    Remounting the bullets. I moved them back and evened them up
    [​IMG]

Truck off the lift and first drop. Professional steerer at the wheel of 'her' truck.
    [​IMG]

Towed it home to finish up the engine stuff. Since Brad already missed Ink and Iron no need to take out the rest of his day. A note for people getting towed. Nester at Hal's Towing was one of the best one's I've had. Got it on the truck no issues. No long questionnaire on why he has to tow it like other AAA guys. Great getting it off and parked.
    [​IMG]

Oil changed. Plugs in. Fluids in.
    [​IMG]

End of day Bed
    Fuel cell mounted and plumbed. Rear suspension tested. Exhaust mounted
    [​IMG]

End of day engine compartment. Black top Interstate Battery. All wiring done. Just a matter of sorting out the whole engine firing deal.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't thank my buddy Brad Haber and his shop Intense Kustum enough for the help these past two weeks. Basically shut it down to do all the suspension and electrical work.

3. exterminator

exterminator

4. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Turns out the edelbrock is having issues. Float sticking filling the carb with gas. Leaking etc. But at least it got all the fab filth off of it for the time it was sitting. Tossed on the era correct plates for a pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be starting the blocking and fixing some of the body issues coming up. As well as working on getting it running.

Thanks again for the comments and messages.

5. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

Great to see your steerer's got her wheels rolling on the street again.

6. bstie

bstie

It's looking great bet you can't wait for the test drive!

7. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Great transformation!

One piece of advice though... I'd change out that rubber fuel hose going from the fuel pump to the carb- can be dangerous! All it takes is for the hose to rub up against a belt/pulley for a few moments and you can have fuel spraying everywhere.... 3/8" brake line makes a nice, clean, safe alternative.

8. jtk910

jtk910

Great build!

9. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

You're doing a great job and your truck looks really sweet!

10. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Looks like its going to be needing a new starter.
    Did some sanding and primering today on the new panels.

[​IMG]

Thanks again for the comments and messages. It's a fun project.

11. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Well viewers. put in a new starter today and fired the truck up. Other then the idiot that rebuilt the engine, me, not tightening down the intake enough so it was a hottub with the jets on. It ran fine for a cruise around the block. So get to pull the engine back apart and do it right this time. But the suspension worked great for its minicruise. No rattles just the sound of the engine.

[​IMG]

After its cruise and cleanup
    [​IMG]

So stay tuned Stude fans. Should have more coming along on it.

12. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Pulled the intake and redid all the gaskets. Hopefully that will take care of the hot-tub imitation. Letting it dry and fill it with fluid tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

13. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Well closed the hot tub.
    Filled the radiator and engine up. Gave it a go. Guess I messed up in the back leaks out of the back of the intake. This is where I wish I had a big block chrysler again. Easier to pull the intake and dont have to deal with this. But did run a mostly copper line up to the carb and it does run great other then the whole foam leak.

[​IMG]

14. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

A little before and after of the engine compartment work I have done so far. Brad at Intense did the existing wiring and let me use his shop for bending and welding the metal.

[​IMG]

15. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Clean and sanitary. As it should be. You did right by that thing cleaning it up like that.

16. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Thank you for the compliments. I had use of my buddies shop so bending the thick metal wasn't too bad. Just shocked it lined up good on both sides. I will still do the firewall/ dash pieces once I sort out fitment.

Here's a before and after of the rear frame. It's not as delivered on the before but I only did the rear end replacement and cleaned up the lines at that point.
    [​IMG]

Bleed the brakes and sort out the fueling issues and it drives nice.

17. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Collecting parts for the next round of updates.
    4L60e showed up today. This should help on the freeway cruise.
    [​IMG]

Earlier in the week my buddy Eric Scarlett dropped off some parts.
    Door popper setup and primer. Time to seal up all the metal work I just did.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for viewing the project and the feedback

18. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Installing a head stud kit from ARP
    [​IMG]

Rebuilt the carb. The top squirter was clogged along with two other jets in the carb. Might be one of the rough running issues.
    [​IMG]

Fuel pump and Fuel filter are here. I'm going to run all new line so no more debris clogging the carb
    [​IMG]

19. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Heads torqued down ARP's look pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Painted the core support upper radiator mount. Since it looks pretty good going to sand down all the other pieces in the engine compartment and get those painted.
    [​IMG]

The back of the dash piece needs some more fitting as the hood opens it hits so that is on the list to finish the clean up of the engine compartment.

20. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

[​IMG]

Side panels painted. Making side panels for the dash piece

21. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

We need WAY more info on that dash panel... Please. :) I've been scratching my head for months on how to do mine. (Side panels and core support painted looks great by the way)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  22. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

23. Koochin

Koochin

Did you do the one piece side glass? I am trying to figure how deal with the top hinge in the way.

24. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

On the side glass front. Right now it has none. I think I'm going to keep the vent glass because it gets pretty damn hot in there when the weather heats up and the kiddies havent learned the fine art of directing air with your hand.

25. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Finally got a few hours of stude time. Engine reassembly completed. Exhaust back in. Just going to change the oil and plug wires and it should be a driver once again. Need to finish the dash panel and change out the fuel system still but want to get it as a runner as least for some fun times.
    [​IMG]

26. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Cut the panel in two to work on getting it to fit
    The two bends are to clear the battery
    [​IMG]

Upper piece radius matches body now. DZUS will be used to fasten the panel so its removable. I will flatten out the panel as the bends dont have to be so visible in the end
    [​IMG]

Driver side shot of the gap. I'll be making the step fill panel and sides to seal it all up.
    [​IMG]

Passenger side needs trim panel to connect the panels and seal up the area.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for viewing. I'll get more shots of the pieces I use to seal it up and of course one of it all in one.

27. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Fun with Cardboard
    Two pieces to connect upper and lower. Debating on angling them.
    [​IMG]

The side pieces are going to permanently mount
    [​IMG]

Just need to cut 6 pieces. The side curves are the same for both sides. The angled side pieces match as well. Going to hit the shop to have the big toys to cut them.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the views.

28. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Engine compartment assembly complete. Engine wired up. Steering column in and connected.
    [​IMG]

Overflow bottle. Need to finish up the bracket.
    [​IMG]

Muscles the shop guard dog did a number on the bullets so I tried the aluminum foil and water clean up method. Shocked it worked great. got rid of the rust spots and the discoloration
    Before
    [​IMG]

After If didnt get rid of the curb rash on the bumper but did clean up alot of other issues.
    [​IMG]

Oil and tranny fluid and it 'should' be ready to go for the Father Daughter 50's dance. Since it is 'her' truck.

Thanks for viewing and all the comments and messages.

29. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

After some delays got the engine fired up. New carb, lines and correct timing does wonders.

Also picked up some armrests from a friend so the kids can close the door easier. Then new handles since they felt the others were cheesy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

30. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Forgot the pic of the new setup. The kids are happy with their new armrests.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files: