Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bear metal with clear.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leroux, Nov 10, 2013.

1. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

Thinking of blasting and clearing my 30 coupe. Any thoughts/warnings/or words of wisdom.

Thanks guys

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. it will still rust eventually

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

4. Seems to be the current rage,and if that's what you want to do go for it,,there are several great builders here that are sporting the BML! :D HRP

5. Ruiner

Ruiner

Bear metal?...I didn't know Kodiak bears could play instruments...I like painted hot rods the best...

6. bare=naked
    beer= refreshing drink
    bear= fuzzy creature you don't mess with
    behr= crappy paint that doesn't cover
    bayer= aspirin

7. I suppose there is times when using spell check might come in handy but think of just how much fun we would miss out on!:D HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

There was a thread on this about oh, a day or so ago. Someone mentioned a clear epoxy paint maker. Sounds OK, epoxy is clear naturally I think. That's what I would use if I were attempting it.

9. 117harv

117harv

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm not a fan of clearing bare metal body parts, but I often use clear on suspension, and drive train parts. I like the look of clear over brake masters, drums, calipers, brackets, and various suspension pieces. A nicely polished bare metal with clear over it looks good underneath a car.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Dont wanna mosh with those guys...:eek:

12. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

thanks and i am sorry for my miss use of the word "bear" i see it offended all you "bears" out there.

13. Why do you want to do this? Is there some really excellent metal work you want to show off? I do enjoy looking at pretty welds and seeing how someone did the work. But, bare (not bear) metal just to have bare metal? Be prepared for some deserved ridicule.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I only see one guy on this thread thats "offended", and I think we all know who that is...:p As far as the rest of us, well, Chili Phil is right, and its already started...;)

15. Try to remember FG,this is a public forum,and everyone never agrees..whether it's you ,me or 3Wlarry.:D HRP

16. IMO, HRP, this is a little more than just a public forum. It's a good place to run an idea up the flagpole and see an instant reaction. Questions about things like: "Should I sand my paint off and clear it?", are usually sincere questions. He asked for opinions and got them. The HAMB is useful like that. Sometimes the fellas are smartasses. The HAMB is useful like that, too.

17. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I like looking at bare metal parts, but every time I have tried to clear them, rust has appeared in some areas and it's a major pain to get a repair to look even.
    I think that rock chips on a driver will cause problems too.
    Metal should be sealed and primed for longevity and adhesion, and clear is not really sealer. On my truck, the current plan is to paint it as close to steel colour that I can find, wet sand it about 200 grit so that sanding marks show, and clear it with a semi gloss clear.

18. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

HotRodPrimer, thank you for the photo you posted above, #7. Great stuff!!

19. gtowagon

gtowagon

I use the Eastwood diamond clear satin on bare parts and have some almost 10 years old that look the same as when they were cleared. Most clears are made to go over a base coat not bare steel the Eastwood stuff is made to go directly onto bare metal

20. 5559

from tn

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

21. To answer your Q somewhat.... I cleared a bare metal firewall once. It held up great and never showed any signs of deterioration or failure.
    As for the body itself- Silicone spray and scotch bright pads did the trick,just gotta keep up on it like washing/waxing anything else.....I only did this to show the chop and split the patina.
    You could clear it,but IMHO,just doesn't look right.

22. OOppps-pics.

Attached Files:

23. Happiness runs in a circular motion,,If it floats your GOAT,,go for it!

And yeah,,I meant goat instead of boat......:D HRP

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Cleared bare metal looks better than flat black.

25. Sure am glad I don't have flat black on my cars,,I would break my heart if you disapproved.:rolleyes: HRP

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Do goats float? Or do they paddle furiously? Or is that bloated dead goats? I bet they float...:p

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hmm, how does bondo look clear coated? I better stay with flat black.

28. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

29. 2racer

2racer

[​IMG]
    get one of these clear covers, no painting needed

30. Ha ha ha. You guys kill me.