Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Keep this wheel/cap/tire combo or change it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by huracan1973, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The FNG's gettin' cocky. :rolleyes:

Hey...Squirrel parked his '55 at a different angle.

2. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

rim (rm)
    n.
    1. The usually curved or circular border or edge of an object. See Synonyms at border.
    2. The circular outer part of a wheel, furthest from the axle.
    3. A circular metal structure around which a wheel tire is fitted.
    tr.v. rimmed, rim·ming, rims
    1. To furnish with a rim.
    2. Sports To roll around the rim of (a basket or golf cup, for example) without falling in.
    3. Vulgar Slang To perform anilingus on.
    [Middle English, from Old English rima.]

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Kids get like that ... too much texting and driving, and energy drinks.

The car needs a teardrop scoop on top of other thunderbolt goodies ... and considering the cost of dog dishes, go with Ford. Second look at the cop dishes, they aint right.

5. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

But, but its a 302... People is gonna laugh at me 😔

6. So your saying the car does not have the original engine? HRP

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I try not to post too much on dumb ass comments like this, but at ~70 years old, I and many others have been calling them rims long before you were sucking on that "Rimmed" pacifier you had when you were kid. :rolleyes:

As far as the RIMS/tires go...this car definitely needs something a bit different than it has.
    I tend to agree on the larger tires on the rear, and some different rims also..
    Chromies seem to go well with most any car...perhaps a look at them ?
    It is a cool car...so good luck..and keep us in pics.

8. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

The original engine and trans are still in the car but I'll be dropping a 302/t5 soon. I have them already but I was clueless on how to make the clutch work. Pulling out the 170/3spd by Wed. I meant to say that a tear drop on my car would be kind of silly unless Im doing a big block wich is out of my budget

9. Silly? .... wheelie bars would be silly.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome. Congrats Jim, on the good run and the feature. The car looks great in the action shot. 11 seconds sure is fast to push a steel brick down the 1/4!

Sorry to hijack, huracan. Keep working on your Ford and having fun. I hope to eventually see it with the V8/stickshift...raised up, (see I'm old and like 'em up in the air a bit, the way we used to see 'em instead of "slammed") big tires, and all the other good stuff. Btw...it's got a 3spd in it now? Standard shift? In that case, the clutch linkage should hook right up, no problem. But if it's an automatic, if you can find a complete clutch linkage from another Fairlane, it should all bolt in. Remember that no matter what engine/trans you put in there, the clutch fork is gonna end up in pretty much the same place.

11. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

No offense, but I don't really like them unless they come with a thunderbolt attached to them. Haha Wheelie bars would be hilarious.

12. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Lowering blocks would be the quick & dirty way to go, but I think you would be happier with reworked or replacement springs to give you the ride height you're looking for without killing the way the car handles. Some years ago a friend lowered his '60 Ford Starliner with blocks ... went down the road like an elephant with an ear ache.

13. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

Yes its standard. I just had the idea that it wouldn't work. Understand that is the first time I do something like this. My former cars were automatic and the only thing I did to them was to pull the trans or the motor out and replace it with something fresher or change heads, carburetors, etc. I was thinking on just raise the front suspension with harder coil springs. There's a lot of speed bumps in Chicago ...

14. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

That's the problem with the blocks. I had a Silverado with them and rode kind of shitty. I'm getting older And I might sacrifice stance for comfort anyway. I used to have a lowered 59 bel air and she had always trouble going over speed bumps

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent. I don't think you'll have any problem at all with the existing clutch linkage. For springs, I'd seriously consider checking with your local automotive spring shop. They have the tools and experience and the springs on hand, and they'd probably have you in and out in a couple of hours or so. And even though I haven't had it done for quite a long time and I know rates have gotten higher, I was surprised that it wasn't too awfully expensive. Once you get 'er sittin' up a bit, you can then determine how tall of a tire will fit, and if you wanna change the wheels...and then what caps might work for you or even if you're gonna use caps.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Kinda surprised to find myself saying it, but yea, I like it!

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This is a '63, but THIS is BITCHIN.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And Cragars are ALWAYS right on a early/mid sixties Ford compact...
    [​IMG]

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Or if you really want to stick with the dog-dish theme...

[​IMG]

20. squeaky32

squeaky32

Exactly what I'd do

21. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I agree with the above^^. if money is an issue I would like to see the wheels painted black with your caps

22. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

I like how this one looks. Anyone interested on the ones I have?
    LOL

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Go to a Mopar a or b-body forum, you will have no trouble at ALL flogging the caps you have. Personally, the black sedan with the chromed magnums gives me an erection. I should just stay the hell off these early falcon/fairlane/comet threads. I do NOT need another car, I do NOT need another car, I do NOT need another car, I do NOT need another car, I do NOT need another car...

24. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

That black one is sweet. I wish mine where that color. I repeat that to myself everytime I see a 59 bel air 4 doors (my first car) I DO not NEED another car

25. Keep the mopar caps on some big n littles... And whack a freakin hemi in it... Thatll f*ck em!

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, I would say that if you did that, you could probably skate by with the Mopar dog dishes...

27. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

I just gonna go wheel hunting at the local junkyard. I've seen plenty Crown Vics from the 80's there

28. huracan1973

huracan1973
    from chicago

Anyone out there running slotted mags on their fairlanes or comets?

29. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Those wheels and caps are both Mopar. Biggest visual afront is the
    55 series tires (way short). Go to 195 and 225 tires but in a 70 series.
    Again on the rims.....the fronts are also too wide or have too much offset
    (too deep of a dish).

30. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Embrace the rake. Maybe even consider 14" wheels, tires with a bit of sidewall look good on these. Don't put on a teardrop hood, too typical, too obvious. Find 62 doggie dishes or perhaps Cragars.

63 pictured is mine from way back when. And George, seeing that black sedan with the magnums, well it makes me miss mine more than anyone should miss an inanimate object!

[​IMG]

The black 62 is also beautiful, lowered but still all muscle.

Attached Files: