Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery sound from 4 speed top loader?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tudordeluxe, Nov 9, 2013.

1. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Have a '68 Ford Fairlane 390 wide ratio behind my 8BA using a MEC adapter and Merc. half bell housing. The car is up on jack stands with the floorboard trans. cover off and no gear shift lever installed or driveshaft. It has been converted to use the Jeep top shifter. In neutral at idle I hear a "rat tat tat" that I didn't hear when engine was on test stand without trans installed. Also, noticed the speedo. needle slightly bouncing around. Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on?

2. 64gal

64gal

I hope you put oil in it! Without the driveshaft in oil should be running out,unless you have a plug or yoke in the output shaft.
    The slipyoke supports the output shaft in a sleeve/bushing.

3. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

It does have oil with yoke installed.

4. 64gal

64gal

Can you turn the output easily when in neutral?
    Can you hear the noise then?
    Can you hold the output and turn the engine over by hand or with the starter and listen for the noise?
    The brass rings sometime click back and fourth in their register when turning by hand,but I wouldn't think you could hear that running.
    Might be best to pull it out and re check,or,does the noise go away when you disconnect the speedo?
    Does the noise go away with the top on?

5. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Did you grease the cable? You can pull it out of the sheath and re-lube it. Also if the cable or sheath are worn, some frayed wires may be catching. They can also get sticky if the bends are too tight.

Could also be a bad gear tooth on the drive or driven cable gears.

6. barstowpo

barstowpo

What kind of pilot bushing did you use in the end of the crank?

7. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Great ideas & will investigate all of them. The speedo. cable was lubed and am using roller bearing pilot bushing.

8. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

Check that speedo cable housing for damage, needle jumping and a rat a tat sound , sounds like the cable hanging up inside the housing.

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Simple test would be to pull the speedo cable then run it.I have to agree with everyone on it being the speedo cable!! I have also heard of people having issues with the JEEP top shift,make sure ALL the gears are in neutral and not touching!! ROY.

10. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Turned trans. yoke by hand and no noise. Put stethoscope on bell housing where inspection plate is and that seems to be the area where noise is coming from and not trans. case. But earlier had problem with shift lever and had to realign gate, maybe not all gears are in neutral position, although sound seems to be coming from flywheel/ clutch area. Will remove speedo. cable and inspection plate as well. I remember when installing the Merc. bell housing clearance for the pressure plate looked very close........maybe too close?

11. 61Zliner

61Zliner
    from Pineywoods

36tudordeluxe,
    Odds are its the Jeep shifter, check it out like 65comet noted.

12. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Okay, problem solved......... I think. Pushing the clutch in and releasing it made the noise go away. Any ideas on why that solved the problem........clutch to pressure plate issue?

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You should have checked adaptor alinment before you put trans in..but may have just been some bind in the splines as the disc had not found its center yet and when you disengaged the clutch it let it.....

14. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Hope that's the case!