Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ~WILLYS AXLE~ (brake options?)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 296 V8, Jun 27, 2008.

1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I picked up a 40 willys axle and spindles to put in my comet.
    What are my brake options? If I do a spindle swap, brakes obviously aren’t a problem. Just wondering if anything go’s on the willys spindles.

DAISUKE likes this.
  2. There was a guy on the gasser newsgroup that had plans or brackets for disc calipers.
    Not exactly a kit but close. I'll check and see if I have the info. I also seem to remember something about using Volvo discs but I don't remember the mounting method.
    Dan

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Kiwi Kev would be the guy to ask.........King of Willys.

4. You have too much faith in me. I adapted Volvo discs to mine in the 80's and can't remember anything about it. I will be putting Willwood Chevy light weight disc rotors and Airheart calipers to my current car but have not started yet so I can't be of much help. I think I will be fabbing caliper brackets and machining a sleeve for the inner bearing. Your best bet is to ask around on Byrons Gasser Madness. There used to be a Chevy disc to Willys spindle brake kit available but I don't think It is any more.

DAISUKE likes this.

5. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I also put Volvo 166S calipers/hats on my 40 spindles way back when, problem now is finding parts for them.
    The kit to use Chevy mid size calipers/rotors (5X4 3/4) was from Charlie Stephens, but is no longer available. I got the plans from Scott Hasko off the gasser/FX group. I wanted to keep the Willys 5X4 1/2 pattern so I ordered a kit from Speedway to fit Mopar rotors(Ford pattern) to early Ford (42-48) spindles since I had used the kit on our 28 Model A. The adapter sleeve from Speedway needs to be modified on a lathe to fit the rotors on the Willys spindles and of course you need to make the brackets. Heres a photo of the modified parts and brackets.

Attached Files:

6. Weasel

Weasel

1933-1942 Willys spindles and Ford 1937-1948 spindles use the same bearing size both inner and outer. The Ford spindle is 5/8'' longer between the bearing surfaces. Take any early Ford brake kit and machine the outer bearing pocket .625" deeper and voila - it slips right on the stock Willys spindle. If you want to use disc brakes, you will have to modify the caliper brackets or fab your own as the bolt pattern for the stock backing plates is different.

Do not use crap Chinese bearings - they disintegrate - ask Limey Steve, he'll tell you or search the HAMB for the horror stories. If they come with a kit throw them away. Wilwood use USA made NTN bearings and so do I.

7. Fossil

Fossil

I've still got the drawings I made of the Charlie Stephens kit. They're squirreled away somewhere but if someone wants a copy just contact me and I'll locate them. The items in that kit were pretty basic and I have all the part numbers. The custom parts can be made easily on a mill and lathe.

-Scott

8. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Thank for the info all

9. David Sherman

David Sherman
    from Buda Texas

Any chance I could get a copy of the Charlie Stephens plans? I am building a 37 and want to stay with the original axle . Thanks David at [email protected]

10. abone1930

abone1930

So in order to run the brake kit from speedway for the ford spindles you just need to machine the the overall length of the spacer?

11. CalGasser

CalGasser

You may try Don Waldron at Rods West. I beleive he was making a setup using the Charlie Stephens kit at one time but don't know if he's still doing it.

12. abone1930

abone1930

Anybody needing a disk brake kit there is a guy makeing them on eBay, and cheap, $119 with the spindle spacers😄

WILLYS DISC BRAKE KIT, RAT RODS, OTHER STOCK AXLE, BRACKET KIT

http://bit.ly/GN8PrJ

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

15. brandon

brandon

icarumba... proud of that stuff...:eek::D

16. Norman B

Norman B

If anyone want's this kit it is available from Williams Street Rods. I just purchased one for $119.00.

Williams Street Rods
    800-787-2450
    williamsstreetrods.com

Hope this helps
    Norman

17. abone1930

abone1930

In the picks it shows spacers, but does not show the spacer that slides on the spindle to allow a gm camaro rotor to go on, if does not have that piece you will have to have it machined. It is a press fit. Gm rotors will not fit on a Willys spindle without it. If it does include it post a pick please

18. Norman B

Norman B

The kit consists of:
    2 - Caliper mounting brackets
    2 - Inner bearing adapter bushings (Press fit)
    8 - Spacers
    8 - Mounting screws, lock washers and nuts
    2 - Inner grease seals

Should be everything you need to go with the GM 11 inch parts.

19. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

Jeff the spacer Is included in the kit Norm advertised through Williams.It's basically dome shaped.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. abone1930

abone1930

Since the cone shaped spindle spacer is included For a 120 dollars , I don't know how he is makeing any money , good deal for sure, my old Stevens kit cost me 250, and was missing one spacer, I had about 4 sets of spacers made up, but sold them all already . Good deal for sure:)

21. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

I agree by the time a guy uses a plasma table to cut the brackets then hand machine the cone spacers wheres the profit at?

22. What happened to the OP? Banned? That's surprising......

23. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

NO CLUE AT ALL

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. abone1930

abone1930

In his add he does not show them, I still have yet to see a real pick of his kit.
    Here's the spacers I had made

Attached Files:

25. violet springs

violet springs

There is nothing uglier on a Willys spindle than those big cast iron vented rotors with cast iron single piston calipers. This kit adapts wilwood disk brakes to willys spindle, pm me for any questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

^^^^ Great Stuff Jeff ^^^^

27. Gene Cromer used Henry J drums on the Moonlighter. HRP

28. Bob Kosalka

Bob Kosalka
    from Omaha NE

Do you have these adapters for sale? I have a 40 Willys coupe that I would like to convert to disk brakes. Thanks

29. bigyellataxi

bigyellataxi

Sorry to bring this back up again, but...

Jeff are you still doing these kits???

If so could you give me a quote to send one to the UK???

As I want to do the same on my '38 Sedan...

Ta, Guy