Register now to get rid of these ads!

Infos about casting sand core technics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gerykats, Nov 9, 2013.

1. gerykats

gerykats

hi all,

i need some infos or docs about building sand core of alu casting...

thanks for reply

2. 1arock

1arock

3. gerykats

gerykats

thanks for link...

4. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I use sodium sillicate for a sand binder, but some guys use molassis. What are you trying to make?
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CbLBiCdgRi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

5. gerykats

gerykats

Thanks for link...

Just want to know how make a sand core (water circuit) for casting an alu flat head, and to delete the sand into it after casting...

6. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

For casting that you would want the sodium sillicate for sure, its a much stronger binder for the sand. Once the metal is poured the heat brakes down the binder a bit so the core can be knocked apart and shook out.
    Ive been considering casting a flat head as well, but for the time and trouble it may just be cheaper to buy a set. That is unless you are making one that isnt available, maybe for a banger??

7. gerykats

gerykats

May be for add a double spark plugs ignition system...for tuning a french little flat head

8. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

9. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

Where do you want to start? First, you have selected the material (aluminum), next you need to design what you want. Make sure to add the appropriate shrink value to the casting so you get the size you want after casting. Next, make patterns and core boxes. The pattern is for the head, the core box is for the water circuit. Assure that there are supports (registers) for the core to hold it in place securely when placed inside the mold.

The youtube video above shows what you can make, but it has plenty of mistakes and safety issues. That is fine, it is just back yard casting. Aluminum is easier to cast in the back yard than iron, it needs about half the heat to melt. you may be better off making the tooling yourself and taking it to a local foundry to have cast, they usually make one off stuff pretty cheap.

Starting with the core is backwards unless you have the tooling already.

10. gerykats

gerykats

11. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Mistakes? What mistakes? My castings come out great, so id love to know where you are coming from.

12. nali

nali

I mix boiled linseed oil with sand and bake it.
    Huile de lin cuite. Ca resiste pas mal.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just for fun, I took Sculpture 101 in college because the Art department had a good foundry program. I just wanted to get some background on the processes... I've never cast anything in earnest. Perhaps there is a similar program near you? Gary

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013