Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 48 bones w/ 8ba

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nosdan, Nov 8, 2013.

1. nosdan

nosdan

Will a pair of 1948 ford rear bones handle the torque of a stock 52 flatty (open driveshaft)? Or will I need additional reinforcement on the bones?

Project is a 1930 Coupe.

2. alchemy

alchemy

If you are splitting them to the rails of the frame, a stock Model A four-banger would break them. It's actually the motion of the split bones twisting as you go over bumps that cracks them.

If you are using a flathead, why not use a torquetube too?

3. woodypecker

woodypecker

Add reinforcement.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think you need a torque arm. Check out hotrodworks.com and also do a HAMB search as there is lots of info. on this topic.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are wondering now , so unless you add a torque arm you will always be wondering if they will break. Add a torque arm for insurance .

6. Put the front of the bones as close together as possible, not out to the rails (if possible) and yes put a torque arm in there. Bones are made to center the rear not handle torque. That said. Bones alone will work and handle the torque......... for a time. .....

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes, but the time will be short. I am pretty sure someone posted (on HAMB) a cracked wishbone back by where it bolts to the rear axle/backing plate due to lack of a torque arm.

8. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cracked mine several times, even with a torque arm. Had them triangulated properly just kept cracking them. As it is my daily i welded fish plates over the forgings and a strengthening rod along the top to the point where the tube welds in.
    Also welded a fish plate along top of the arc to tie the forging to the tube better.

It was a trial and error thing and as they cracked I added more reinforcement. Have held up fine now for 6 months and about 3000 miles.

If I had my time again( and I may do it next time they break) is build rolling bones style ladder bars.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384057815.327753.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Check my build thread post 91 I think.

11. aldixie

aldixie

It's says in your build that you were going to some how tie the arms together behind the Uniball mount, any pictures of what you did?

Thanks,

Alex

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Still need to do that. Just going to make a gusset out of 1/4" plate and connect them together so they move as a unit. I have driven it and seen it being driven from behind. Moves like it's supposed to.

13. nosdan

nosdan

Thanks guys! I do have the front of the bones almost touching (under the trans)... but I'm going to add a torque arm and triangulate the bones...