Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you put Belair back glass in a club coupe? (1953 chevy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KadenRay, Nov 8, 2013.

1. KadenRay

KadenRay

I just realized my 1953 Chevy is a club coupe and that the back window is smaller and a totally different shape. my question is can I cut out the club coupe back glass and put in a belair back window? any help is appreciated.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Maybe. Some cardboard templates of the roof/window contour of one model, when compared to the other, should give a pretty good idea if the basic contours are the same or close enough to be easily adapted.

Personally, I like the smaller back glass on the much rarer club coupe.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just eyeballing the side profile of your coupe in your albums I would think it would not work. really need both cars together to figure it out for sure though.

I like the coupe back window better anyways.

4. TERPU

TERPU

Sorry man it's a no go.
    I know the Coupe glass is hard to find but it'd be worth it.

Tim

5. KadenRay

KadenRay

Well Damn, wish I would have been more knowledgable when I was younger and first got it. I like the belair style back windows and I don't care for the smaller windows much at all. Might be time to sell it and start the search all over again. Thanks for the replies guys.

6. Don't be so hasty...can you not graft in the rear section of a belair roof and window?

Attached Files:

• 53.jpg
      53.jpg
      File size:
      109.9 KB
      Views:
  7. all that being said, if you are willing to sell based only on the back window, it doesn't sound like you really dig the car anyhow

8. henry29

henry29

The 53 150 business coupe is a pretty rare car and very desirable, I'd sell it and buy a 210/ Bel air.

Besides the back glass the top is a lot shorter and the quarter glass is different.

9. TERPU

TERPU

Whoah! Don't cut that car up. To some that's a much more desirable version. There is a guy out there willing to trade you a Sedan or Hardtop for the Coupe. OR just sell it outright and find a '53 or '54 of your liking. That Coupe is a great start on a super cool Custom or Hot Rod. If I still lived in Texas we'd be talking about when I was coming to get it.

All the best,

Tim

10. KadenRay

KadenRay

It's not that I don't dig the car that much, it's just that the look of the back window on the 53-54's is one of my fave things about the car. That's why I wanted to know if I could graft that section on to it, I really appreciate your photoshop, that's the kind of info I was looking for.

11. KadenRay

KadenRay

But as the other guys have pointed out, it might be a better idea to sell my club coupe and get a sedan/ belair to start with.

12. 53chevtrev

53chevtrev
    from Langley BC

coupes are rare, i got one and you should not try and change anything. sell it to someone who will appreciate it, dont modify it. they look rad chopped.

13. KadenRay

KadenRay

Thanks for all the input guys, I have decided I wont try to alter the back window as I now realize that the Club coupes are rare and desirable. I believe I will be selling the car to someone who really appreciates the club coupes so I can purchase a belair. once again thanks for the input and information.

14. LowBlazin

LowBlazin
    from Austin, TX

Woah, i just missed out on purchasing a club coupe last week. Im in Austin. Shoot me a PM if you decide to sell. I may be interested.

15. verde742

verde742

lotta lovers of '53 coupes in Washington State,, !!!

As I like to tell people ;;; " Yea, they only made "53's that ONE year "

goes over their heads,, applicable to other years as well..

16. KadenRay

KadenRay

looking at Chevtrevs Coupe chopped is making me rethink selling it. its not what I origonally envisioned but I think it can still make it a really cool custom. Im gonna take a couple weeks to make a decision, ill shoot you a pm lowblazin if i decide to sell.

17. Smokey2

Smokey2

Funny how we always want what we "ain't got" .............
    Curly hair, we want straight !
    Heavy build, we want skinny !
    Chopped the Top on my '53 tudor, and went w/ smaller back glass from a shoebox.

Good luck on whatever you decide..................:cool: