Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Jer, how many gallons do you think you will use and how many coats will you spray?

2. Looks great, love that colour!

3. jivin jer

jivin jer

In the process of finding the correct ratio of thinner to paint I have the first gallon on the car. This equates to about 6 double/wet coats.

This a high hiding color so after 2 coats I have coverage. I'm going to save a quart out of the next gallon and thin it 150%. After I have coverage my concern becomes making the material even and consistant over all the panels. Overall I'll probably have 12+ coats of color on the car.

I have 2 gallons of clear that I probably won't use up completely. I'm thinking 6 double/wet coats will be plenty to then be able to cut and buff. We'll see.

4. daddio211

daddio211

5. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Awesome! really dig the color!

6. This is exciting for me - I can't even imagine how you must feel at this stage! Wow!

Dave

7. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

8. Looks great ! Olav great pics !

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Jerry,

Might I suggest that you hang and align both the hood panel and deck lid at this time! This era Ford is notorious for piss poor fit ups at the cowl & fender shut lines of the hood panels, and the deck to quarter fit ain't much better either:( These operations usually produce some paint damage, and better to repair this at coat six, then at coat 12-14 and have clear and metalic to contend with;) Too, with all panels in correct alignment, you'll have a better shot at matching the way the metalic & clear index as they hit the surface. If these panels are shot on the bench, off the vehicle, they may not match the cowl, fenders or quarters, and require additional respray work and still, more material.............just a thought:)

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really enjoying following along with your professional paint & body thought processes and procedures. Great build.

11. jivin jer

jivin jer

I appreciate the input. The color match and body panel fit are dealt with in posts #1149-1152.

Attached Files:

12. bigbore

bigbore

13. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Looks great with the paint, Jer. :)

Quick question.
    Why did you wonder if the cars had SAME tire models? Haven't seen you reply to any of the answers to it. Did you know the exact tire model of the JS car and wanted to go from there to the JL one or were you curious to know if their tires matched?

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

Jesse can't tell me what tires he ran on his car. I asked Palle earlier this year what size tires he had on the JS coupe. I think they're the same. I just wanted to run it by you guys. After the painting is done, most of the "dirty" work is done. Its time to start thinking seriously about getting these tires. They will be the Goodyear 710X15 super cushion's.

15. WOW!
    I go to work for 3 days without checking the hamb and this happens!
    Great work, the colour in that last photo is amazing.

16. jivin jer

jivin jer

As everybody knows, this is a big undertaking. After I had color on the car I could see things much better than I had before. There are some very treacherous holes you can step into if your not careful with these body shapes. I now think I'm ready to put the final color coat on. I'll let it sit overnight and clear it the next day.

Attached Files:

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

NOW DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING, I'll get the clear on it in the morning. Wait, I gotta' go to work in the morning, oh man, I'm retired, this is my work in the morning. I'm DEFINATELY going to wear a mask for the clear.

Attached Files:

18. loosrp

loosrp

Awesome talent and build Sir Jer!!

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is like painting three cars! Seven gallons of material.

Attached Files:

20. Eric H

Eric H

But we'll worth it. Great job!

21. Looks great Jer! Can't wait to see it put back together and sitting on the ground.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. second that ! nice job !

23. daddio211

daddio211

24. That looks amazing...I was imagining the wrong shade of green as well.

25. daddio211

daddio211

Kind of has a bronze tint to it, doesn't it?

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks everybody for the kind words. Down the road I'll reveal the methodology used on this color selection. I'll compare it to how I did it with Jr's car.

27. It looks like the overhead lighting in your shop has a slight yellow cast to it, I don't think we're seeing the true green color that it is. Out in the sunlight will give the true color.
    Body & paint look GREAT!

28. jivin jer

jivin jer

Your right Craig.