Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Fords-R-Us

Fords-R-Us
    from NE Iowa

The key word here is "LOOK" all kinds of fakes in this world, but it'll have the look or "vibe" or "fake" what ever you want to call it.

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Attached Files:

• eco1.JPG
      eco1.JPG
      File size:
      408.3 KB
      Views:
    droppedstepside likes this.
  3. I traded a running driving 86 ranger 4x4 for this basket case. Looks like everything is inside, as well as a lot of new parts. It's a 65, 240. I think I got the better deal.:D

Attached Files:

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

Basket case?!? You west coasters are funny. I think that's in better shape than mine.

5. dirttoo

dirttoo

that's what I was thinking. Looks like a great start for us in the mid-west.

6. Nearly every part inside has been disassembled. The body is the basket! But, yes it's not bad at all. The guy that took it apart bagged and marked everything pretty well. I'm very happy to find one in this good of condition. Very little rust. New motor and trans was dropped of yesterday! Not sure what I'll do with the 240 3 speed, but I'm sure something will come to me.

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

That's not a basket case, that's just a really nice starting place for a project! :)

What's wrong with the 240 3-speed? They work with just about every engine you'd want to drop in there... the big 6s (240, 300), and the small v8s (289, 302, 351). Bolt up and go! I got mine for free, so I can't say they're worth a lot, but they were only made for 3 years (65-67) and only available with one engine, so anyone wanting to do a v8 conversion wants one (unless you want a slushbox)

8. Nothing wrong with the 240. I had a mildly built 240 in my first econoline. Great motor. I'll most likely save it for another project. I was given a 4.3 chevy / auto trans with less than 25K on it. Not a popular choice around here for sure, but it will suit my needs perfectly for this project. Plus it will save both time and money, as I'm knee deep in two other projects. Plan is for a simple driver asap. I'll do the full resto after I finish my Stude custom.
    Your right. It's a very good start! I only build rusted out cars for guys with fat wallets!:D. When it comes to my own cars, I take the time and money to find the best I can get. In this case I got lucky and found a trade. Both of us walked away happy!

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

A 302 will drop right in with what you have, although you may need to slightly modify the mounts. That 4.3 will require a lot of modifications to the van. 302s are cheap and easy to find, at least around here. I think I paid $100 for mine ('89 Lincoln HO) and sold the injection stuff and distributor for $50

10. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

I love this Econo thread, so many neat ones out there.. here's my update... '61 5 window.. found a set of Americans on CL, and had to try 'em out.. what do you think? I plan to lower the rear a tad bit, reduce the rake a little.

Attached Files:

11. mothradeath

mothradeath

damn is that an amazingly clean econo! theres no way they looked that clean right off the factory floor!

12. AndrewnTX

AndrewnTX
    from Plano, TX

Thanks, props to the builder whoever he was up in WA state...

13. mothradeath

mothradeath

heres a pic to show where im at with mine. getting super excited. [​IMG]

14. jreeder41

jreeder41

Nice!!! Got any front shots?

15. mothradeath

mothradeath

theres some in the album in my profile

16. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

there is a econoline pickup near my house, no motor and trans but a lot of good parts, owner said scraper will give him $300, anyone need anything I will be seeing him this coming week, pm me. in Vacaville.

17. mothradeath

mothradeath

if it has a tailgate...it is worth more than $300.

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

If the rocker sections below the doors are in good shape, cut them out. They always rot out on more Easterly Econos and there are NO patches available. You will be able to sell them easily. Depending on the year/original engine, it MAY have a 9" rear end. If it has a tubular crossmember (rather than folded sheet metal), grab it. It's needed for a v8 conversion. Likewise, if it has a cable throttle (pedal linkage, etc), get that too.

19. hershambob

hershambob

ive just bought a 64 van in socal but cant find any spring bushes/shackles for sale at macs/carpenters etc,anyone know were I can get them,i want to get them before the van ships to England,cheers

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

There's one place that I know of that carries them... but I can't remember who! I'll dig through my notes. They're a truck parts supplier, not Econolines/Ford specific

21. hershambob

hershambob

thanks hellfish,after going through 125 pages you were who I would of asked first,the van I have has a 75 maverick 250 and c4 fitted,does that sound right,i see a lot of talk about 240s!,another question I have is how tall are these vans,

22. Hellfish

Hellfish

I bought my shackles from Rockauto.com... or possibly from NAPAonline.com.

Whatever bushings are not available from them, are available from these guys http://www.mcveighstrucksprings.com/
    They were knowledgeable, easy to deal with, and shipped right away. I can't remember if I ordered directly from them, or through ebay, but they are the ones that supplied the larger bushings. I think they came in a kit.

The 240 was one of 2 engines offered in 1965-67 Econolines (the 170 was the other one). Automatic transimissions and 4-speed manuals were uncommon, but were factory options. The 250 will swap in, with some work. A 300 I6 or 289/302 will swap in with some more work. Hopefully it has a 9" rear end. If not, the 7" rear may not last long with a 250. :)

I can measure the height of mine this weekend. The rear sits a little higher than the front due to larger tires and it still fits in my garage with a few inches to spare.

23. hershambob

hershambob

24. johnnybentwrench

johnnybentwrench

Try Betts leaf spring in sante fe CA they have locations across the country.
    I have been sorting oil leaks out. Replaced timing chain, rear main seal, rear transmission seal. truck runs great

Attached Files:

25. glad to see you didn't give up on it.

26. hershambob

hershambob

27. robtech

robtech

i'll give him 350 and build it

28. Hellfish

Hellfish

Mine is about 74" at the front with stock size 14" wheels

29. hershambob

hershambob

thanks the lowest point my garage door is 79"

30. hershambob