Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Time to Put it All in a BIG PILE and do Sheetrock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Nov 7, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Season is over, nothing got done this year, no Mad Money, time to put all the project pieces in a big pile and finish the inside of the garage and basement. I'll make a list of what is there, but just don't have any desire to work on the stuff. This will allow me to focus of the HAMB and other websites, and with some luck sell off every unwanted thing around here. Restarting with mad money, may change my outlook in the Spring. Has anyone else tried this? Bob :confused:

2. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Slow and steady vs full on stop.

3. F&J

F&J

i work on my own old cars only when i feel like it.

i do work on other peoples old cars most every day, and most of those i do like the work.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

I work on others Restorations and Hot Rods four days a week, no interest in working on mine. Sad thing is after all these years I have a crystal clear picture in my head of the finished car, I can almost feel the Ostrich skin door panels, just can't move on it. Bob

5. F&J

F&J

i'll file for Social Security this week, and should start collecting by Feb. Then maybe next year, I will do less customer work and more of mine? Maybe.

I just started working on some big fancy cars for an owner, and I like the work, so maybe I will just be more selective on what i do or don't do.

my advice;take the pressure off....don't touch it unless you feel like it, or if you only want to look at some of it's parts instead, do that.

6. "work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do.
    play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do."
    Mark Twain
    he also said; "never put off tomorrow, that can be put off till the day after tomorrow"

7. sheet rock???? you ARE a sick individual lol , good luck with it , I'm with Andy , slow and steady , (man I #$@%# hate doing sheetrock) let us know what you decide to garage sale, I'm sure there's plenty of us to help you in the mad money category with your off-casts

8. I haven't touched my '57 for about four months, I had gone balls out for a year and then hit a wall and needed a break.

In the meantime, I rebuilt the deck and some fences, put in a yard and got the electrical done downstairs and am ready to rock the laundry and second bath. Scored big points with the wife for it; she's afraid I'm going to drop dead before her and she'll be left with a bunch of unfinished projects. :D

I'll probably get back to the cars closer to spring ; got a lot of work projects going and a ton of details on the house to finish.

9. brandon

brandon

trying it right now... some parts have sold but still have a pile to get rid of....now if I could only move a couple cars...:rolleyes::D

10. 68Camaro427

68Camaro427

I'm in the same canoe with ya! Haven't touched my 29 since spring, but I did rebuild my fence and landscape my backyard, including laying in a complete sprinkler system. I know I could have spent time on it (I have an S10 bench seat to still cut down, and it's been in bare metal since March), but wifey is SO much more happy (and ALL that entails) ;) when I'm working on her To-Do list instead of mine... :)

11. "Having the project is what makes me happy, finishing it isn't something I think about."

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Yea, sheet-rockin' is right up there w/cement work. Done both, for pay & for friends(free). Still don't like it... Oh yea, bout near as fun as roofing, too... :( .

& I commiserate on the pile-o-parts + cars that *need* to find new more-appreciating owners... :D .

Marcus...

13. chuckawu

chuckawu
    from london

i work on my own old cars only when i feel like it.[​IMG]

14. I look at it like this: Sometimes we gotta do "grown-up" stuff. Then we can come back to our projects when we feel like it.

15. Choff

Choff

Spot on, Doing the same thought pattern!!!,
    Going to sell my 29 dodge and the Hemi, no time no money!!!

Wife wanted the laundry room done before the Kid's family comes home for Christmas.
    So doing drywall work and painting and etc to get it done.

Bull shit!!!
    NO WAY GOING TO SELL MY HOT ROD PROJECT- IT WILL ALWAYS BE THERE WHEN I AM READY

16. Exactly,,do the insulation,sheet rock and by all means paint it a light color,and add more light.

I did it and it made it much more enjoyable to work,,heat helps also! HRP

17. Sometimes life gets in the way,so be it!This ain't no practice run!
    Wether it be kids,domestics or whatever,it's whatever turns your crank.

18. Then you can hang all your crap on the walls a lot easier.

19. Get this one -

The shoemaker's kids need shoes.
    The carpenters house needs fixing.
    The seamstress's dresses need mending.
    The Mechanics car doesn't run.
    The tailors suit doesn't fit right.
    The mailman doesn't want to go for a walk.

Now I want to know what the gynecologist's old lady has to say in all this ?

20. Selling any 32 parts??:cool: I can trade you lots of sheetrock.:rolleyes: Sheetrock the Garage & Basement. That should take about 2 weeks if you stay off the HAMB.:p Then go full bore on the roadster:cool: Your going to be too old to drive it before long.:eek:

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Mark, I've got one of those ultra rare Original rear corssmembers. Just sold that Bull horn without and voltage questions. Moving enought crap in the garage to install two sheets of 5/8 fire rated rock is the job for tomorrow, then the crap pile moves under the rock and sheets 3&4 go up. Repete untill finished...........then its mud time. By then it will be mid Winter, I quit and move the operation into the basement. This is fun, I'm having a great time, yes I've got the use a friends sheetrock jack. Bob

22. post pictures Bob as you go.
    hey a "real sheet rocker" can get that wall nice and straight, without any filler:D

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

I don't have go crazy with the celing /wall corners, the 6 inch tin crown moulding will help make the garage look like it was built in 1910. Salvaged it from a store that was built in 1920 on Main Street, need to set up a paint strip tank. Bob

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'd rather spend 10 hours a day on my car, than 5 hrs. a day hanging sheetrock!

25. Good finishers get more mud on the wall than the floor !!!

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll be speaking Canadian in no time. Bob :D

27. I can relate to this. I just spent the last two days insulating my garage. Going to put up lots of pegboard so I can hang stuff up and get some boxes off the floor. I can't do much in the garage in winter because its so cold. So I finally got around to putting some insulation in it. I should also put in a ceiling and paint it white like HRP mentioned so I can see through my cataracts better...:p

28. like some - I have more than I can build -but there is hope....most are complete drivers waiting for a resto -allways picking up another one to do a quick build to put money back into the cookie jar....that's what gets me behind...but I still have the vision of getting the 39 cpe back on the road..

lwf

29. Nice work Eh:eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  30. Hey CT?^^^^ did you at least miss the door when you fell thru?^^^^ I did the same right over the shower at my place lol