Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway 9super7 carbs for 3x2 setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niterunner71, Nov 7, 2013.

1. niterunner71

niterunner71

I was thinking about a 3x2 setup for my 40 or a future project. I was looking at speedways 9super7 carbs the other day and noticed what seems to me they eliminated the adjustment screws on the outer 2 carbs or secondary carbs and you have adjustment screws on the center primary carb. Am I right or wrong? Has anyone on here used this setup and how does it work? I also noticed a conversion kit in their catalog for rochester 2gc carbs with the new bases as well. The bad rap 3x2 setups always got were adjustment horror stories, and I am wondering with this new setup if they have eliminated that?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Here's a comparison.

Attached Files:

3. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Interesting one-sided comparison from the manufacturer of the more expensive carb. :rolleyes:

4. Press has been all over the board for these. Some love them and say they work great. Others think they're absolutely terrible.
    You know the saying that bad news travels fast.

But as for the "one-sided comparison"… It's not just a manufacturer of a more expensive carb; it's the manufacturer who holds the rights and designs and is producing authentic reproductions.

5. 1954fordcoupe

1954fordcoupe

A friend of mine has the 9 super 7 carbs. Been running them for about three years now. He has nothing but good things to say about them. Center carb is for idle and running around town. Two carbs on the end are preset and are for when you really get down on them. Hence no adjustment.

6. bgaro

bgaro

progressive linkage opens the outer carbs. rebuild and setup the old stuff you'll be happy you did.

7. niterunner71

niterunner71

multiple carbs have had a bad rap across the board for a long time. i dunno if they were as big a nightmare as some say, but you did see them on alot and i mean alot of cars, even detroit muscle cars. I had the holley 3x2 on my 66 fairlane and i always thought it worked goo and trouble free, but always heard "get rid of it and get a single 4bbl" I finally did that and regretted it because I felt a performance loss on the fairlane's 428 when I did that.
    But for rebuilding and setting up the old stuff I was thinking about that as they have kits for 97s and 2gc's both in their catalog

8. Go with the Strombergs, not the ripoff Speedway ones. Do a Search, yes I said ripoff, they even copied the box artwork. Clive and crew put a lot of effort into bringing back the real Stromberg, they deserve your patronage.

9. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Go with real deal originals or the real deal Stromberg reproductions. Imitators are close but no cigar.

10. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Nothing compares to a real south bend stromberg. Before Bob died he pointed out all the things that the English carbs are lacking in perfection . There's a reason people find originals and rebuild them.

11. bcowanwheels

bcowanwheels

Ideally you want a 97 in the center and 81's on the outsides. Whos making original style stromberg reproductions > new one on me.........

12. They do!!!
    http://www.stromberg-97.com/
    Lars