Register now to get rid of these ads!

how should I handle this? USPS messed up.

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by hillbilly4008, Nov 7, 2013.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I sold a vintage radio in NIB pristine condition here on the HAMB back in June. It went to a member overseas. About two months go by and he shoots me a PM asking me where his package was, and the tracking # wasn't working. Two days later the package was returned to me. On the box there was a tag reading "reason for return: unknown"

Upon further inspection I noticed the package had been opened from the bottom with a box cutter. Someone had emptied the contents of said package and loosely threw it all back in. Then took a square of tape 2"x2" and used it to hold the box shut again. Contents of package were damaged. (my guess would be customs? Old tube radio, maybe they thought it was a bomb?)

I filed a claim with the USPS as this WAS insured. They accepted the claim and everyone I have spoken to assured me that I had a valid claim and would be reimbursed for the insured value and shipping. I got a letter today stating my claim was denied due to improper packaging.

I have been in touch with the other HAMB member so he does know whats been going on. But I feel bad for the guy as its his money that is being tied up. At the same time I don't want to be liable for someone elses F' up.

Sorry for the long rant, but I want to get the whole story out there.

What further action should I take with the USPS?

Has anyone here ever had success with dealing with the United States Postal Service?

Thanks

2. 59 brook

59 brook

talk to the postmaster general in the office you mailed it from

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've shipped a lot of stuff with USPS overseas and all has gone well. Did the paperwork state that it was an old radio? Bob

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I live in a small town with a small post office. The lady that was there when I shipped the package IS the postmaster, she also is the one handling the claim on the office end. I've also been dealing with the international claims center over the phone.

Yes, all the paperwork states "vintage car radio"

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is the radio damaged now or are just trying to recover the postage? Bob

6. RPM

RPM

Good luck with the Post Office. Too much red tape with them. From past experience, you will probably never get your money. We never did. We only send small inexpensive items VIA USPS.

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Bob,
    The radio was in new condition when I shipped it, in its original packaging. When I got it back there was paint chipped off in a few spots and the speaker grill was dented in. It just Urks me that someone wrecked this piece, It really was in great shape.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812771

8. I don't have a dog in this fight but in my opinion you need to suck it up and send the buyer his money back.

This is my experience.

I sent a radio to a guy in Texas and it was lost,,,I filed a claim along with the mailing information and my tracking number,it was insured but the postal service denied my claim saying it was delivered to the address but the mailman was afraid of the mans dog so he put it in a bag and hung it over the fence.

The guy in Texas doesn't have a fence or a dog,so the USPS said they would look into it,that's been 6 years ago and I still don't have any compensation.

Good luck,your gonna need it. HRP

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Chances are the USPS will tell you that they can't cover what happens once the package leaves the USA. I feel bad for your customer too, for some reason I really enjoy selling stuff overseas, shame some customs guy wrecked things. Bob

10. I bet if they xrayed that thing they went nuts.
    I'd start at the place you mailed it from and hopefully you can get further up the ladder or closer to the problem cause.

11. brad chevy

brad chevy

Really only one way to handle it,send the money back to the buyer. You shipped it so its not his fault. Then try to get reinbursed from the post office. Only thing to do.

12. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

A friend of mine made the mistake of shipping 68 Impala hideaway headlights to Florida via USPS,he didn't know he needed to insure them because he packaged them well,well that was about 6 month's ago I used my paypal account because he didn't have one,well after ten days the buyer contacted paypal and wanted his money back.Long story short he ended up with his money back,(which he should have) but my buddy is out $1,200.They provided a tracking number and all that does is tell you it's shipped it's the most idiotic thing I have seen.He actually gave up.

13. If it were me I would send the buyer his money back. Not either persons fault that USPS screwed up. Send the money back to the buyer, and Karma will repay you somehow/someday.

14. Yep, send 'em the money. That's the class thing to do... ;)

15. ChefMike

ChefMike

I would keep on them and do you have an email saying you had a vaild claim as I would resend that back to them. As emails are consider a legal document

16. pila38

pila38

I had an issue with a set of gauges I shipped USPS. They were packaged well, but the glass in one gauge broke. They were insured so I filed a claim and stayed in touch with the buyer. I kept the money the buyer had sent me and I handled all the paperwork and communication with the post office. Within a month the post office refunded the entire purchase price of the gauges directly to the buyer, even though only the glass on one gauge was cracked. I was actually very pleased with how USPS handled it. Hope all turns out well for you.

17. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Since its in your hands and not lost send him his money back. Now its up to you to get compensated by the post office.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

X2 on USPS

19. 117harv

117harv

Sent over 400 items through USPS in the last couple years, a couple dozen packages out of the country, never had a problem. I package items very well, and have never had a complaint from a buyer....it seems others mileage varies.

Does the buyer still want it even though it has some damage?

20. Mercchev

Mercchev

Send him his money back, use FedEx in the future. More expensive, but claims are handled better, imho.

21. You have the radio and it sounds like it can be repaired. The buyer did nothing wrong. You owe him the money. Chase the post office for it but holding HIS money while you do that is wrong.

22. Is this the radio? HRP

[​IMG]