Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical distributor drive gear 354 hemi help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Spicolli, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Spicolli

Spicolli

I should be picking my 354 hemi up from the machinist next week. I will be finishing the assembly when I get it home.
    My question is do I re-use my stock distributor drive gear and shaft or do I need a new setup. The original one out of the hemi looks to be in good shape. It doesn't look worn. Slight polishing in gears but no excessive wear. The shaft looks ok and no apparent wear in the oil pump drive slot. My machinist seemed to think it look good and could be re-used.

I have a bunch of cash into this engine build and don't want to f#$% it up!

Is it common to just re-use this part in a vintage build? Can I get a whole drive gear and shaft. I have seen the gears for sale @ hot heads. But no shafts?

You hemi guys out there have any advice?

I've looked in the tech. Area and didn't find any thing about the distributor drive gear/shaft.

2. George

George

Assuming you mean the intermediate shaft & gear. If it's in good shape the gear can be used. The stock shaft is fine if you're using the OEM oil pump & Dist.

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

There is no problem reusing it. But there are things to check. There are two different lengths used in the 354. Be sure you are using the shaft that originally came in your core engine.
    Hot Heads does have new replacement shafts, as well as custom lengths depending on what style distributor you might be using. But again, if yours looks good, and you are using a stock distributor, I would just reuse it.

4. Spicolli

Spicolli

I'm using an MSD dizzy for the hemi and the shaft/gear that was in the block when I got her.

5. Spicolli

Spicolli

No on the roller cam.

6. George

George

If it's for the 331/354 the dizzy will drop right in with the OEM Int shaft. If the dizzy is for the 392 the dist shaft will be too long. You only need a longer int shaft if your running the LA oil pump set up and/or a LA dizzy.

7. Spicolli

Spicolli

Running hot heads oil pump adapter. MSD dizzy for 331/354 and stock intermediate shaft and gear.
    All should fit well. Just didn't know if it was advisable to run the used shaft and gear with every thing else new. The gear looks good with mild polishing to part of it, with no apparent wearing.

8. George

George

I'd think the OEM shaft would be a bit short with the LA O/P adaptor.