Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is a "Traditional" Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bczygan, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bczygan

bczygan
    from Detroit

What is the exact definition?

Does this qualify?

[​IMG]

2. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I don't know if it is a "hot rod" or not but it, or it's twin is sitting in a shed in MA.waiting for a rebirth. How about it Conrad?

3. bczygan

bczygan
    from Detroit

4. Ryan's second post on this thread might help with some pictures: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828348

I'd also add that for the purposes of this board, a traditional hotrod is a hotrod built to resemble what was being built prior to 1965; keeping in mind the age of parts being used and the build styles that were prevalent pre-65.

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay only 4 posts I think you are serious.

First pick an era you like then do your homework and read mags. and search the internet or whatever you are comfortable with and study the time frame you like. Then build your car using the parts and style that was used then. Example If you are building '50s style do not use disk brakes. Yes I know they were available then but so few used them that it would be questioned.

Now the debate begins.

6. 117harv

117harv

Taken from the sticky at the top of the page.

5. Was your thread something that has been covered over and over again? Try searching next time. We've had countless threads through the years on bias tires vs. radials, the definition of "traditional," and many other topics. We don't need to rehash what the bulk of us already know.

7. adam401

adam401

Fuck these threads.

8. VonKool13

VonKool13

Agreed. Just more fodder for people who feel the need to bash other people.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Steel Rebel pretty nailed it as far as many of us here see it. A hot rod built to resemble one that you would see in one of the car magazines in the 50's or early 60's. Say you picked up a June 1956 Hot Rod magazine and right in the rotogravure section in the middle was this little coupe that really spun your wheels. That little coupe wouldn't have any part on it that wasn't available in or before 1956. The idea is to pick the build era you like and stay faithful to it. That's a hard concept for a lot of guys to follow be it hot rod or custom as they are always reaching over the fence to later years products that don't look like the build year's products.

10. Deuces

Deuces

The pics are cool.......

11. oldsmerc

oldsmerc
    from seattle

I can't help but respond. In the day hot rodders tried to adapt the latest and greatest into their rides. How else would you explain Chevy motors in Fords? Hot rodders were innovators and still are. Traditional can mean whatever you want so do what you like and don't worry what others think. As for the rehash comment, remember that there are new HAMBers every day so all posts are new to them.

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I totally agree. I lived thru the 40s and 50s etc., and everyone tried to get an edge. Tradition differed throughout the country as well---there is NO staunch definition that is axiomatic.

13. To me, the litmus test is whether the mods were/are beneficial (hotrod), aesthetically pleasing (custom), or done in response to a fad (billet/streetrod/etc).

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OLDSMERC nailed it!!!!!!!

15. 117harv

117harv

16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

i'm younger than 65 years old
    i was borne before 1965
    the cars you talk about should be cars -n- (trucks) etc etc etc made,built before 1965
    just en-grain 1965 in your head and it will go past the
    era police 1965

more:
    all the parts are made before 1965
    or
    copys of the (*1965 -n- older*) part.
    1965 ya just cant go wrong by sticking to the 1965 thought.
    1965 . (period)
    1965 1965 1965 1965
    now if you don't get it call me At 1-800-196-51965

now i might get banned for trying to be of SOME help, but hay
    its post 1965 ..... j/k

love ya ALL love the OLD cars ...
    have a nice day:cool:

:cool:

17. And that, quite thankfully, is why we don't have build threads highlighting turbo'd whatever motors being put into smart cars.

(Turbo's and smart cars mentioned in hopes of getting this thread shut down).

18. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I always liked the term "Period Correct" instead of traditional.
    According to Websters dictionary, one definition of traditional is "The handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without wriiten instruction". So to me a person building a 1980 chevrolet is building traditional.

So as long as you are a gearhead you are a traditionalist, so just be careful when using this forum stay within their guidelines

19. bczygan

bczygan
    from Detroit

So would a belly tank rod, built or rehabbed just as it was in 52 be considered part of the mix?
    The photos above come from a Fawcett publication "Hot Rods" from 52' (Edited by my dad BTW).

20. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

If this thread is still here tomorrow, it must be traditional.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Horse is dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.