Register now to get rid of these ads!

Southern WV and SW Va HAMB-friendly clubs around?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niterunner71, Nov 6, 2013.

1. niterunner71

niterunner71

Was curious to see if there are any HAMB-friendly clubs in this area, namely Bluefield/Princeton/Beckley WV area and Tazewell/Bland/Wythe Co Va even as far down as Roanoke Va. I know here in the Bluefield/Princeton are I have seen a few HAMB type cars but there is still a big presence of pristine restored stockers, 80s style street rods and musclecars at shows and cruise ins. I was curious to know more about other HAMBers in the area and if there are any clubs for such cars? Meaning low-tech no billet no $50k show cars, cars of that type?

2. Niterunner71

We have the same situation here in the Charleston-Huntington, WV area. Several of us have HAMB-friendly cars, but we do not belong to a specific club. We have several good clubs in this area, but they all have a wide variety of cars in them. In previous years a few local HAMB'ers would get together several times during the year for breakfast, lunch or to visit local garages, but we haven't done that for a while. Maybe we need to think about starting that again in 2014. You might try contacting the locals in your area and plan a get-together to gauge interest.

Jim

3. niterunner71

niterunner71

here we have the Yestardays Rides CC but like you say its a wide variety of cars, more of the pristine show car types like billet street rods and restored musclecars, not that there is anything wrong with those per say if that's your thing and those guys have the biggest presence at shows and cruise ins. The reason I posted this is because I see a lot of HAMBer type clubs in other areas and I was wondering if I was missing something here lol. The closest HAMB friendly event I know of to date is HRW in Winston Salem which is once a year. Is it maybe because of the lack of the presence of the whole rockabilly culture in our areas?
    I have seen first hand that the younger generation does take to HAMB friendly cars more so than the others.

4. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

Greetings from the Wytheville, VA area. There is a group in the Galax, VA area known as the CarrollCruisers. They have a web-site www.carrollcruisers.com They also host a cruise-in in Hillsville every 3rd Saturday (if I remember correctly) starting in May and running through September. I just found out about them earlier this year.
    Steve-

5. niterunner71

niterunner71

Hi Steve, thanks will have to check that out

6. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Sure wish we had a local group, that could get together and swap stories and help each other out with a home built, real world, blue collar cars!
    Around here in swva, when any car guys get together, its just a pissing contest, of who has the most money and most of them wouldnt know the difference between a set of points and a coffee pot.
    I not interested at all, about their 10-15 thousand dollar paint job, that they had someone do for them!
    To me a real hotrod/custom is something I scrounged, suffered and did without for, and donated my own blood to make run, go, and show!

7. niterunner71

niterunner71

Same around here, its about being pretty. My 56 Chevy had an old laquer job that was cracked in places and had flaws it was what me and my dad called a 10 foot paint job it looked good from 10 foot away:D but it had a built 400+hp 383 stroker and muncie m22 4 speed with a 4.56 gear so it was a blast to drive. I parked it next to a 55 at one event that had full billet treatment, ZZ4 crate motor, automatic with ac cruise tilt power everything 15K paint job and all, and two 17-ish year old girls told me "your's is much cooler, that one (pointing to the 55 billet mobile) is too pretty" I got tons of comments from kids meaning teenagers and even down to elementary school kids about how cool my 56 was, and no good comments from older people, most of them just pointed out flaws in it. I overherad two 50-something exectuive types looking at it one day and the comment was "I guess it's a work in progress" Its funny the kids seem to "get it" and alot of the older guys don't