Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Slick 60s Ford F100 Disc Brake Conversion What M/C?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chaddilac, Nov 6, 2013.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

So I recently purchased a sweet little 62 Ford F100 stepside, I've purchased a drop axle from Sid at Droppedaxles.com and am thinking about upgrading the front brakes to disc. I had planned on ordering the kit from Speedway and I then thought "Oh crap, I can't use the stock M/C"!! Shoot, now what?

I've searched a bit and have not come up with much other than the brackets. Has anyone done this without a power booster, I just want something simple I can swap into it and not have to do much. I don't want to have to reconstruct the pedal setup. The engine is the stock 223/3sp!

[​IMG]

2. 2racer

2racer

I think the 67-72 f100 master cyl will work...

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Ok I'll check into that!! Thanks!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

Actually 67-72 would still be drum brakes. 73-79 would be for disc brakes. I used a 73-79 style F-100 master on my 65 when I swapped on the disc brakes. I had to modify the push rod, but works great. Pretty much all Fords use a master cylinder with the same bolt pattern where it attaches to the firewall, so any disc/drum combo piece should work. Just be aware of the piston/bore size.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Don't be lazy, put power on that truck!! You can use the stock M/C but im not a fan of the single resevoir. My buddy ran it like that on his 65 with non power discs for years....

Attached Files:

6. Phil1934

Phil1934

I grabbed 70's MC and prop valve when I got the discs for my '66 and it worked great. I had to shorten push rod a little.

7. hoodprop

hoodprop

Yep what they said 74 and up.

8. luckystiff

luckystiff

70 mustang, LTD, Torino, etc also works and they are pretty cheap....ken...

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

I found out the late 60s to early 70s Mustang M/C is a direct bolt in and it's a dual reservoir for disc/drum setup, so that's the route I'm going. I never planned on using the stock jelly lid m/c for the disc brakes!!

I'll post pics!

10. schuyler

schuyler
    from Tennessee

Not sure about the specifics but there was actually a new "bolt in" booster/master for 57-66 ford trucks mentioned in Classic Trucks this month. Bob's F100 Parts. (951-681-1956). That's something that's been missing in the aftermarket...could be cool.

11. Cam Baker

Cam Baker

I did a front disc brake conversion on my '58. You can run a single feed master cylinder...it just might not be safe. I personally run a dual feed master cylinder from what I believe was a '68 mustang. I have just the juice brakes, no power boost whatsoever. I stop just fine, if not better than most of my friend's computer cars. Make sure you have a proportioning valve inline on your rear axle.

12. 55willys

55willys

I did a disc conversion on a 65 twin I beam used 79 spindles and a 69 power booster and master. Had to shorten push rod but other than that it was a bolt in. Jim

13. RGatlin68

RGatlin68

I just did the disc brake conversion on my 64 and I wanted to stick with a manual dual pot master. The one that I went with is off a 78 Ford Granada with manual brakes. The unique thing about this particular MC is that the ports are on the drivers side unlike most all other Ford MCs. I did have to cut 1.1" out of new pushrod. I cut mine then threaded it so that I could fine tune it if necessary. Works great.