Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 4 door Hudson - mild kustom? traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratwasp, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ratwasp

ratwasp

I recently picked up a 4 door Hudson Super Wasp, yes I know...too many doors..but its in decent condition, runs great with its I-6 and other than the Tijuana Taxi paint job it is all original. I found a pair of skirts, will probably give it a matte paint job and lower it, what do you guys suggest?? Would love to hear your traditional more-door ideas!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Zerk

Zerk

Beautiful car! I'm filled with envy.

There are probably a bunch of things you could do to it, but...
    hmm. How about dual aerials sunk into the rear fenders, wide whites and sombreros if you can make them fit. It doesn't really need much.

3. ratwasp

ratwasp

Thanks
    wide whites are definitely in the works~!

4. roughneck424

roughneck424

Dont worry about the doors. The older you get the better you like em.

5. Ok. That's a great score. First off, DONT put some stupid flat paint on the car, or put any damn tiajuana mexican blankets on the seats...It's so damn cliche, and will ruin the car.

DONT try to make the car something it's not. DO clean it up, accent it's plusses, and drive the crap out of it.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Lower it. Every car can benefit from a lowering job.

New bias ply wide whites. Nothing makes or breaks a car like a proper set of tires.

Add a pair of re-pop caddy sombrero's, or just add Oldsmobile Sombrero's from the early 50's. They're cheap and look great.

Spend some $$ on exhaust. If it doesn't have a split manifold, get one, and run duals through glasspacks. Nothing sounds better than a hudson 6 through glasspacks.

Other than that, just clean it and polish it. If you do feel inclined to paint it, spend time getting the car straight, and consider a GLOSS black paint-job.

Done!

6. If you are seriously considering going the rockabilly 4-door route (flat paint, spiderwebs, mexican blankets, and radial tires) consider selling the car to me. I'd LOVE to have a clean 4 door 54...

49ratfink likes this.
  7. ratwasp

ratwasp

hudsoncustom, thanks for the reply. Looking at the pics of your '49...very cool.
    I hear you on the flat black-mex blanket-red wheels look. Not my bag, but the blue paint is kinda hideous in person. From what I can tell the car was originally a dark blue.

8. Right on, no one wants a shitty paint job. Dark blue would be cool....as long as its glossy! ha ha.

9. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

hudsoncustom gave you the best advice. Drive the crap out of it. The more you drive it the more you will love it. Wide white radials is a must. RIDE,RIDE,RIDE. Hud I

10. ratwasp

ratwasp

stripes? scallops?

11. squeaky32

squeaky32

i say lowered, wide whites, some 57 premiere caps, and a nice dark blue paintjob. id keep it simple, nothing crazy with the paint.

12. ratwasp

ratwasp

I've always like those premiere caps. hard to find, anybody making repops these days?

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They are so rare now you don't need to do anything to it. Maybe lower it and get some cool wheels or hub caps. A new paint job, definitely.

Around 1967 Pontiac had a real nice burgundy color that set off every car I used it on. I painted several older model cars with it back in the 70s and they always looked like a million bucks. It would suit that car to a T. I think the number was 50700 burgundy poly.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1967-Pontiac-pg01.jpg

Keep the chrome and skirts. The car is so smooth it needs the trim to pick it out and keep it from looking like a blob.

Or get some pinstriping if there is a good striper in your area.

59 Pontiac side chrome fits that car and looks great. Similar to 53 Buick in shape but slimmer and more elegant.

14. shooter6

shooter6

How about mid 90's Corvette royal blue. Ariels, lowered, www, new caps, possibly frenched tail lights or 51' merc tail lights & white interior with royal blue piping.

15. ratwasp

ratwasp

anybody running repop Lancer hubcaps?

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree with most.. Lowered, wide whites, full wheel covers and some subtle white period pinstripes on that nice blue paint.. Cool car...

17. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

Yeah I agree with most of the comments saying to lower it and change the wheels and tires. If you wanna paint i would stay away from flat colors. Personally I would just keep the blue.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Would make a killer BOMB. Nice looking car.

19. ratwasp

ratwasp

anybody have a source for reproduction sombreros????

20. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Mcvay Cadillac parts

21. Somebody

Somebody

Don't turn it into a 2dr.

22. This is your answer. I would find a good paintless dent guy and let him push the dents out and give it a good cut, buff and polish.

Neat car....

23. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

He never said flat black, but a matte paint job would look great as always on that car.
    Yes on the bias wide whites. I like how they are factory low as it is. But lower is always better! I never understood the Mexican blanket thing if your not Mexican. Start with the seat or some simple covers if needed.
    But sweet score man! Hope to see you around town!

24. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Step down Hudsons are exempt from the "no four door "rule !!

25. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Leave it. Drive it. Love it.

White walls maybe...then drive it some more.

26. Its neat how they looked chopped and low from the factory. Im another shiny paint vote. Id do it all in heavy flake, maybe even with the same blue hue that its wearing now. The wide whites would pop against it. IMHO.

27. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

In my humble opinion,matt finish of any color is a bad idea on a custom.When it shines it brings out the lines.Great car.
    Paul

28. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

I saw this for sale as I was driving to Malibu back in August, nice score!!!

29. ratwasp

ratwasp

Ha! thats where I found her!

30. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I think you're definately on the right track with Wide White and some different hubcaps... They may just be the best looking 4 door I've seen...

Maybe it's just me- but I kinda like that blue...