Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slant 6 Z-bar problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hendo0601, Nov 6, 2013.

1. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

So over the years I have seen this problem crop up on more than one old MoPar with a slant 6 and three on the tree. The problem is after many years of use the Z-bar will break along the weld going to the actual clutch linkage (not so much on the pedal linkage side) thus making the clutch inoperative. This particular one happened a few days ago to a 1964 plymouth valiant station wagon. When you press the clutch pedal, the z-bar rotates but where the metal has ripped it allows the linkage to flex thus not actually releasing the clutch and usually making the pedal stick to the floor. What I do is take a socket or anything else round (and sturdy) and insert it into the open end of the Zbar to make sure it stays round and massage the metal back into place with a torch and bench vise, take the socket out then weld the damaged area back together, and add a strengthening gusset to it to help transmit the force over a larger area thus significantly reducing the stress on that one little welded joint. Trying to source a Z-bar isnt exactly easy, so repairing it and making it stronger is definitely the way to go. See pictures below for a before and after.

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hmmm. my 61 Dodge clutch is a chattering bitch.. wonder if that could have any effect on it? chattered with an old clutch, and chattered again with the new one and resurfaced flywheel. I'll have to have a look and see what that bar looks like.

3. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Even if your Z bar is in good shape, in my opinion adding some strength to this area is a good idea...if it does in fact let go while out on the road you can always power shift it, but you will have to shut it down at a stop light and get it started moving again on the starter which is always (not)fun. The first time I saw this was on an old dart and it took me forever to figure out why the clutch pedal just went straight to the floor, but it looked like the linkage was moving. It just wasnt moving enough because that rip in the metal was opening and closing like a mouth, and the section that broke was on the bottom so looking down from the top revealed nothing.