Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features T A I L D R A G G E R S..... again...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kustombuilder, Apr 4, 2005.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

I burst into uncontrollable laughter when I saw this on Facebook!!

2. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

3. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

hahahaha....I need to send you a framed and autographed copy Rik :)

4. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

5. Epy

Epy

Thanks for the pics Rusk

6. Cool thread. Stumbled across this image while looking for something else. This was captioned "Ron Wanamaker's first car, a 1946 Ford". From the other pics on the site, it appears to be from the late '50s. Ron (whoever he was/is) might have been working on the poor fordor to emulate what he saw in the little pages.
    [​IMG]

Anyone have any shots of '46-'48 Ford Tudors in the style?

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Not a 46-48 but this 41 may have the stance you're looking for.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  8. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

9. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

sick!

10. bako48

bako48

Thank you

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. JVK54

JVK54

Great thread. Here's my 50

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Yea guys sorry about that! My mistake, but dont think i dont know what a real taildragger is!

13. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

[​IMG]
    Found this on the '49-54 chevy car club' Facebook page. Posted by David Howard

Its not a traditional taildragger! but the dog and stance of the 53' are the same, thought it was appropriate here

14. Machinder

Machinder
    from 19605

This 41 studebaker will be the platform for my build.

Attached Files:

15. luke13

luke13

16. bako48

bako48

Forgive Me for saying this cause I do understand this is a traditional site which has been very helpful and great people on here. But "tail dragger" in essence means to " drag the tailend". Why can't the cars that lay on the ground be considered tail draggers? "Traditional" builds are cool but it was never a rule book. Werent the young guys then building things better by changing this or modifying that? Trying to get lower or go faster. Wasn't Mr Hines the first to put hydro on a custom? So is he not traditional now? Sorry if this offends people just tried of reading about cars not being this or that title. My car is mine and I call it what I want. And Mine really drags tail.

17. daddio211

daddio211

Tail down? Tail dragger.

Both ends down? Slammed. You could probably start a "slammed" thread but I don't think it would go well. Although I prefer my cars slammed it's not really considered a traditional stance.

I really don't understand why, because when you look at many of Sam Barris' builds lots were low all around (yes, he also built tail draggers too). Lots of Larry Watson's builds were low all around too.

I like my cars low. Not layin' frame or draggin' rockers low, but Hirohata Merc low. Maybe we got sick of the term slammed from mini-truckers?

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  18. bako48

bako48

that was my thinking daddio...... and I like the style of not laying frame but low as possible while still drivable but my cars all lay frame, personal preference.. Ive had minitrucks for a long time but got into hot rods and customs cause of the cool people I've met. but seems like if your cars to low its not a true custom or whatever title people wanna give! that would be cool to start a slammed thread.

19. daddio211

daddio211

There are a lot of former mini truckers here, some are still in the closet. Still, I don't think a "slammed" thread would be too popular. Air bags are common among members but still not "traditional".

Maybe start a thread under "traditionally styled" and see how it goes. Be sure to include lots of photos of TRADITIONAL cars (like I mentioned above) to start the thread off on the right foot. Pics of a bunch of bagged cars will probably get closed quickly.

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

20. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I have an air bagged car, I dig air bags, but I think the true definition of a taildragger would be static dropped, lower in the rear.
    You can call your car whatever you want, your free to do so, this is just my understanding of the term as it has been explained to me by those that lived it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    504640 likes this.
  21. What happy hoppy said!!

Mick

22. gonmad

gonmad

Buuuuuump!!!

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I Believe this was taken at FAMOSO dragstrip during the HOT rOD REUNION. My first trip to California, and my favorite car at the meet hands down(I like customs). Wasn~t fond of the airbags stance. UNTIL I saw the 36 Ford (caboliet)?spelling, sitting next to it. A late 40`s early 50`s build that had been untouched for all these years. Black, Lasalle bumpers and skirts. the only thing I would change is for it to be a little lower in the rear. if i could have my choice between the two. The 36 would be my choice with a hesitation.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  24. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Sent from my QMV7A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Here is a shoe box we built for Ryan Tanton

Attached Files:

25. 29tudor

29tudor

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393987116.849342.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1393987175.349154.jpg

Not mine, but I wish it was....

26. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

27. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here's a 41 coupe that was running around Redondo Beach, CA in the 50's. I knew the Mexican owner but can't remember his name for sure. It may have been Laddy Hernandez. I always liked the car and the Merc taillights.

Attached Files:

28. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Some cool cars on here for sure, but it looks like some people blur the line. Any car can have a "taildragger stance" but it needs to be a certain body style and era to actually be a "Tail Dragger" if that makes any sense. Just like every lowered car is not a lowrider... :rolleyes:I shut up now.

29. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Id like to see another shot of the interior on that 41.