Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Getting an Ohio Title

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bert Kollar, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Just a note for the guys in Ohio that are building a car with no title or a salvage title. Just took my 34 P/U in for inspection and everything went quite simply. First you must go to a license or title bureau and pay $50 for a salvage inspection receipt which is used also for self assembled vehicles. This will list all of the locations that an inspection can be performed. You then have to call your closest location and set up an appointment. On the appointment day you then drive the vehicle to the site for inspection. The receipt gives you the right to drive without license plates. At this point they want to see the following.
    Sales receipt for the body, frame, engine,transmission, and maybe the rear end, all of the parts that have serial numbers. I also took my complete folder of receipts for the build and photos of when I bought it. I clearly marked all of the receipts with a bold marker with the appropriate numbers thus making it easier for our civil servants to decipher . They then had me get in the vehicle and they checked the lights high and low beam, horn, front turn lights, rear turn lights, brake lights , tail lights,and windshield wipers. I had to leave the garage area and I have no idea what they did then .They checked all serial numbers in the computer. They then told me I'm ok and they would order a new VIN tag and call me when it was in and I could return and THEY WOULD INSTALL IT ON MY VEHICLE. My suggestion is to have ALL your paper work and numbers in order. In 2-3 weeks I expect to have a new title for my P/U

2. bashcraft

bashcraft

So will it be titled as a 1934 or 2013?

3. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I don't know. It will be a surprise. If its 2013 I will have some explaining when I sell it

4. They'll make you meet 2013 emissions, install air bags, etc... :eek:

5. chrisser

chrisser

I researched this a little awhile back.

IIRC, they tie the emissions requirements to the year of the engine. They're a little vague on how you "prove" the year of the engine - don't know how big of a problem that might be. Probably easiest if you use an engine that wasn't manufactured past a certain year.

Also, IIRC, the emissions question is a completely separate issue from the title, handled by the Ohio EPA rather than the Highway Patrol/DMV.

I suspect the title will show the car as a self-assembled 2013 vehicle, and then you'll have to get an EPA excemption to cover the engine.

But I haven't been through it all, so I could be wrong...

6. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Please keep us updated as to when you recieve your title. I'm sure there's more than just me wanting to know what year/category Ohio chooses to put it as.

7. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Did this with my A roadster. Easy as pie. Only thing is it will be Titled as a 2013 Self Assembled Vehicle.

8. i would be interested to know the end result of this ...

9. My dad just went through the same thing. His Model A pickup was titled as a 1931 Ford Model A Pickup. It was in pieces when he got the inspection.

10. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

While this does not pertain to Ohio specifically .... If a car is listed as "homebuilt" and said car is sold , does the builder share the same liability as a manufacturer ???

dave