Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I don't know the ratio off hand. But saw in your signature that you are looking for fender skirts. The post below this original post the guy was selling a set of fender skirts.

2. wallyringo

wallyringo

thanks brother but I've been told a few time that 56 two door skirts wont fit the 55.

3. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

ya.. 56 skirts will not fit a 55.. dont buy the fibreglass ones.. there crap.. they dont fit , the brackets are cheap and cut the sidewalls of the tires.. there are metal skirts , foxcrafts or originals at times on the bay.. and really not that expensive.

4. Con Safos

Con Safos

I never knew that there was a difference in skirts for 55 and 56! Good to know, the ones I have are for a 56 old foxcrafts.

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

ya.. the quarter wheel are is more oval , and swept on a 56.. the 55 is more square ..

55 U.S dodge is different than the 56 U.S dodge as well..

6. GaryS

GaryS

My manual says:

Manual transmission: 3.73 to 1 standard, 4.1 to 1 optional
    Overdrive: 4.1 to 1
    PowerFlite: 3.73 to 1 standard, 3.9 to 1 optional

My '55 Savoy with a six cylinder and manual transmission had the optional 4.1 to 1.

7. rusty63c10

rusty63c10

Any one know where i can get a fuel pump for a 56 belvedere 277ci at?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I thought the 56's only had a 270 or a 277 engine?

The 270 and 277 engine take the same pump and its still available at a regular parts store. Airtex number 4280

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  9. rusty63c10

rusty63c10

it is a 277 i typed it wrong. i work at o'reillys its on back order from us and summit

10. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Well you can try
    kanter auto products, but they are probably stupid money for it.
    Andy Bernbaum auto parts
    I looked up the airtex part number on amazon and they show a vendor with 1 in stock.
    http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-4280-M...&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

You can also try calling Craig in New York. Mobile Parts King 516-485-1935
    he's an old school guy, no internet, just phone sales, but he is the man when it comes to parts. He has most of the part numbers in his brain. I've bought a bunch of stuff from him.

11. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

I got my last fuel pump for the 277 at Auto Zone, they had it in stock.

12. 73RR

73RR

The 277 is the same basic engine as the 318 (277-301-303-318-326).
    The 270 is either a Hemi or a Poly and is a completely different engine...

A warning on the Airtex 4280; the number is/has been used for several differing pumps and only if you are lucky will it actually match your old pump, whether you have an EarlyHemi or an A-LA.

camer2 likes this.
  13. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

I'm looking for the front bumper for a 1965 Dodge Custom 880

14. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

My buddy just picked up a 55 with skirts. Send me a pm if you are interested.

15. 56_TURD

56_TURD
    from nor-cal

Hey All im loving this thread. Trying to get my chrome all together for my 56 Savoy 4door, Im looking for the upper door/window trim for all 4 doors If anyone is selling some please PM me.

16. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

Do you need all the pieces? Can you email me off line? [email protected]
    I just got two little pieces from the pillar between the windows from a car in the junkyard. I'm not sure what else it had but I may be back at the car next week.

17. rusty63c10

rusty63c10

any one looking to buy a 56 belvedere? contact me and ill give you details

18. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

'Love them old MOPARs...

19. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

Anyone swapped out their non power steering box for a tighter ratio one? That is for my '55 Coronet.

20. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I have only gone from non PS to PS. Being that the box and column/shaft are one unit, it's not so simple to just swap out the "box" part of it.

21. ezrods

ezrods

Here is a simple way to break free a rusted and crusted ol' pump off your 260.
    All you need is a bumper jack, block of wood, chain, brackets and something to prop up the whole mess.

First you have to romove the radiator and its frame. Then you bolt the brackets onto the fan/pulley. And set up the contraption as seen in the photographs.

Its as EZ as 1....2....3....cranks on that old bumper jack and BANG! That S.O.B. pops off like nobody's business.

Try it out next time your in a jam.

THE EZRODS BUMPER JACK METHOD ALSO WORKS TO REMOVE REAR DRUMS
    (with taper axle). Spin the nut out to the end of the axle. Center the jack on the nut. Attach the chain to the drum using the lug nuts. Work the jack until the drum pops. Remove the axle nut, and re-center the jack on the axle to finish the job... Presto Magnifico!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  22. 73RR

73RR

There is NO reason that a water pump should require that much force unless it was glued on with Aviation Permatex.

Your method does give me a hint as to why I have seen some bent shafts in wp cores...:cool:

23. Damn where did you get a old Bumper jack ? GOT IT DONE anyway ;)

24. Anybody know of a source for a set of 1955 Dodge Lancer side trim? The one that comes off the top of the front fender and has a little dip in it half way down ??

I'd sure appreciate it if anybody has any information.

Thanks, guys

25. Big Dad

Big Dad

kmrumedy likes this.
  26. 1956 Belvedere

1956 Belvedere

The 55 Plymouth V8 was a Dodge engine.

27. wallyringo

wallyringo

Change out my front springs recently. I ordered them from Andy Bernbaum auto parts www.oldmoparts.com. I tried Eaton but they have nothing or specs to make replacements. Previous owner had heated the coils to lower it. The car road horrible might as well had no springs. we cut a full coil and check the height with wheels / tires back on. It sat a little high and we took our measurements. Drivers side was higher so we cut off a little more to get it leveled out. Afterwards I went for a cruise and im happy.

1st. picture shows how she sat before and last picture shows with new springs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  28. GaryS

GaryS

Has anyone adapted a late model windshield wiper assy to a '55-'56 Plymouth? My whole wiper assy is junk and I'd rather update than fix the original...if it's feasible.

29. what's wrong with the orig - is it the wiper arms ? ....those motors are pretty good stock...

lwf

30. GaryS

GaryS

The windshield was broken out for years and the motor and everything under the dash is corroded and rusted. I'm just looking at other options to modernize where possible. With all the serious problems, the car really should have been parted out.