Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

[​IMG]

Like this??

I still have to take a hunk of logging chain and beat the daylights out of it to make it look "used".

2. guffey

guffey

DSC08206.JPG

DSC08209 (2).JPG

DSC08207.JPG

DSC08211.JPG

I posted a photo of this body on the 1894 to1944 thread and got no comment. I thought I would try again This supposedly was something Owens Corning did in the late fifties or maybe early sixties?? it is fairly detailed. It looks like the wheelbase would be 96 to maybe 98 inches. It has been hanging from a ceiling since 1965. ?

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

4. guffey

guffey

formula 1 body (2).jpg

formula 1 body c.jpg

formula 1 body b.jpg

I bought it after seeing these photos and figured it was a formula one type from the late fifties. But when it got here ?? looks somewhat roadster like??

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks similar to Smokeys "Python that ate a piano" car.

Attached Files:

• smk.JPG
      smk.JPG
      File size:
      52.6 KB
      Views:
  6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Now get cracking building a clone! Gary

7. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Yes Rootie, you are amazing! Check out the independent front suspension, with a lot of adjustment available in the right front. Looks like something from Smokey's stock car mind.

Blacki-Suede

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

8. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I recently picked up a pair of 13 X 8 X 2 "Jones" wheels. At least I thought they were Jones. The casting info however says:
    JOENCO
    PUYALLUP
    WASH

Casting error? Does anyone know when Jones may have made these wheels? The webbing is uniquely different than a Halibrand.

Blacki Suede

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Attached Files:

9. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Guffy, You are amazing at finding this stuff. How is the recent roadster coming?

Rootie, That is the most amazing thing I have seen in a while that you just happen to have a pic on hand of a rare roadster that GUffy just happens to pick up not knowing what it is. You should have an honorary doctorate in open wheel history.

10. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

Here's what we recently came up with, used it at Haubstat, worked great. Pushed sprint (even up onto the trailer!) and quarter midget.

Attached Files:

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

In 1963 it was entered as the Fiberglas Spl. but Curtis Turner wrecked it in practice. No idea what happened to it after that, in 64 Smokey came back with the side car.

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Couple of pics from 62.

Attached Files:

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

With all his smarts, why the heck would Smokey have put the fuel fill just over the pipes? The reason I ask is that I was thinking about what could be hidden under the wide side pod-ish extension on the left side. Was it for the fuel tank? Extra space just in case you might try a laid-over SBC some day? I wonder if blueprints or cut-away art was ever published? Gary

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

This is what was underneath:

Attached Files:

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Rootie for President! You are the Shell Answer Man! Thanx, Gary

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, that's quite possible. His daughter has a web site, it might be worth a e-mail to see if she has any info on it.

http://www.smokeyyunick.com/

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That's NOT the picture I was talking about.

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

This isn't The picture I'm talking about. Hold on.

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I know what they both look like. I'll show you guys the picture I'M talking about tonight when I get to my book. The car is STILL in the crate I believe.

20. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Cool, that is sort of what I was thinking, with the bolt on brackets.
    Thanks

21. Kansas Dirt Car >>>>.

Attached Files:

22. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

old age but great memory, First thank you for calling me "young man"...that felt good at 74, second what is the you tube address. I don't think I have seen that. Denny Z.

23. You ARE a young man at 74, hell your just a pup and younger than me. I found the reel on the HAMB vintage modifieds thread that you visit often...it is #8604 on page431..scroll down 4 entries to 'ridin' dirty and he has the link and again congratulations for taking your dirt track modified dream all the way to Indianapolis, that will more than likely never happen again.

24. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

It looks like ol' Smokey was trying to get most of the weight on the left side and that was the only place left for the filler caps. While he was undoubtedly a genius at thinking outside the box, I never thought that safety was particularly a priority with him. Look where he stuck poor Bobby Johns and Duane Carter Sr. in the "Sidecar" the next year; left side weight? You bet! Safe? Not so much...

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Probably the most unusual feature of the Python was that the wheels would camber over to the inside in the turns (think motorcycle) Not a clue as how that was accomplished but he had some err... interesting rear suspension geometry. :confused:

Attached Files:

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Alright..

First off, To assume I don't know the difference between Griffith Borgeson and Ed Roth is offensive enough. Secondly, To think I would mistake the Two because they both had a goofy Beatnik Goatee is worse..

But lets step off topic for a second a look at the two.

Griff - An exceptional Author, one of the worlds leading Automotive Historians, Restorer, Editor-in-chef of MOTOR TREND and worked for CAR and DRIVER. Distinguished Professional born Dec 21st 1918.

Ed Roth- Artist, creator of the "Rat fink", built goofy one off fiberglass "Hot rods", was a KEY figure in Southern California's Kustom Kulture, and worked at CAR CRAFT. Sloppy Unkempt Hot Rodder born March 4th 1932.

---------------------
    "Of coarse these two men could NEVER have be associated with one another.." :rolleyes:

Well, actually.. they were GREAT friends that palled around together constantly, photographed EACH OTHERS exploits and reported on one another's work. They both worked in the Magazine industry and shared notes. :cool:

The picture I KNOW EXISTS of a young (27yrs) Ed Roth standing in the midst of the PACKARD CABLE CARS upon their arrival in LA in July of 1959 is out there. I'VE SEEN IT. I couldn't find it in my own library last night, but I wasn't able to search my fathers, nor am I able to search out HUGE library at work anymore because we shipped it entirely to ENGLAND. I'm to busy working to waste hours searching for a picture to back up my statement.

To further combat the (Ridiculous) comments stating that I mistook Roth for Borgeson.. Here are some images in which states the two men's "Good buddy" and PROFESIONAL relationship.

1. A picture ED ROTH TOOK of the Historic moment when the Packard Cable Miller 91's were being unloaded out of the crate With Griffith Borgeson and Novi Genius Jean Marcenac standing in the crate. (Notice there are other photographers on hand in the shot?)

2. a group shot for a magazine article featuring ED ROTH shot by Griffith Borgeson.

3. One of the most famouse pictures of Ed Roth, in a candid setting.. He was getting his hair cut (notice snap around gown) taken by his buddy. Who was that? correct- GRIFFITH BORGESON SHOT THIS during a day of clowning around.

4. another instance of Griff covering Roths work in print.

5. A clear straight on pic of Borgeson so YOU GUYS don't mistake the two..

ED ROTH WAS PRESENT WHEN THE CARS LANDED ON THE DOCK IN LA.

J. Shaw

Attached Files:

27. Josh, I did not mean to infer that you did not know that was Griff in the picture. I merely pointed it out for the posters that followed your post. You know much more about this than I do. I knew it was Griff because I have his book with the story on the Packard Cable cars. I did not mean to offend.

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Happened to trip over this on another HAMB thread.

http://blog.cokertire.com/lencki-six-engine/

Be sure and watch the video down most of the way on the bunch of photos.

I know Speedway bought the Rachinski collection that had much Lencki stuff and is expanding into another section of their building to display it.

Apparently this is a re-pop Coker has done or had done.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013