Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 302 gmc stroker build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gear jammer, Jan 5, 2012.

1. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

I know a guy that had a 302 in his '36 Chevy Coupe dirt track car. He ran it at Flemington Speedway a few of times and claimed it would beat big block V-8 cars. I had not witnessed this, so I can't verify it. However; he has a few inline GMC's, and preferred to machine on a 270 block instead. He claimed you could do a lot more to them.

2. mj40's

mj40's

Here is one that showed up at a local curise. I was intreged to only having 4 exhaust pipes on a six.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

sorry guys havent been on here in awhile, fired the motor a couple months ago, had a chance to put some miles on the car, before i left arizona. motor runs well, lots of torque, oil pressure is good considering the rod clearance, as far as the crank is concerned ive run my 261 stroker in my chevy coupe with an offset ground crank with no problems, but im pretty easy on it, if you were to run it hard maybe its a concern, also i used a 235 chevy balancer that i machined for the 302 crank. I am finally out of az and in missouri now, I will post some pics when i get the car out,

4. madero1955

madero1955

Any video? Love to hear it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Alfster

Alfster

Cylinders 2 & 3 use a common exhaust port as does 4 & 5.

Common practice. Flathead V8's only have 3 exhaust ports per side.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I haven't got video of Steve's car, but I did snap a few pics at Drag Week, he drove it down to Gateway to visit when we were in town.

Attached Files:

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Look for yards the specialize in old 2 1/2 ton military 6x6s.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I used 302 GMC engines at Bonneville and El Mirage for several years in the 70s and 80s. Still hold one El Mirage record. Ran up to 21 pounds boost. Went through a few blocks. Only ever had one military block. It was kind of strange as all the cylinders had been bored and sleeved back to standard at the Renton Ordinance Depot. Others came from a dump truck, a cement truck, and a school bus. Or I just don't know. But only one from the Army. When I was in the Army I saw a lot of them.

Matthew Conklin likes this.
  9. Now that is a classy non Ford hot rod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robert4005 likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, it is! Steve always builds classy rides. Even his house is classy.

11. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

As soon as the rain stops ill pull the car out and try to do a video of the jimmy running, and try to load it on youtube, so all you jimmy lovers can hear it,

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Last year at the Plainville Stadium reunion I saw the "sliver 6" stock car..320 cube GMC six, ran with the V8's maybe a Sportsman [?] class..Chassis inovation really impressed me too...I only saw it run once and it held its own very well...

13. Any videos of this ?

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe..I don't know of any but here is definitely the place where one could surface at your request!!

15. squirrel

squirrel

I guess Steve never got that video up...hmmm....