Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Antique Vehicle Registration ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by droplord49, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Lonestarrpm

Lonestarrpm

My concerns are will I get hassled for exhaust, non-DOT tires, no lighting except brakes, etc.

I don't plan to daily drive it - -heck it rides about 1" off the ground :)

m

Attached Files:

2. Mint Julep

Mint Julep

I drive my 56 with 56 Texas Plates, got the little white refectlive tag, Paid one registration fee good for 2 years. Never had a problem. Plates that read "Antique Autobmobile" are for the "Goodguys". No inspection needed either.
    Keep your car period correct. Cops will not hassle you.

3. Wooooooooooo............Someone used the P word!

4. Number_Six

Number_Six
    from Minnesota

Buy and register your classic plates before Sept. 1, 2011 in order to be grandfathered. After Sept. 1, 2011, YOM plates will only be allowed for new registration as "antique". Antique vehicle registration does not allow the car to be driven daily but only infrequently to car shows, antique shows, etc. After Sept. 1, 2011, if you want classic registration, which allows for daily driving with no restrictions, your car will have to use the state issued "specialty plate" unless you have grandfathered YOM plates. But if you buy your YOM plates now and get them registered before Sept. 1, 2011, you'll be grandfathered and can continue using them as long as you don't let your "classic" registration expire.

Text of section effective until September 01, 2011 Sec. 504.501. CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES. (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old. The license plates must include the words "Classic Auto," "Classic Motorcycle," or "Classic Truck" or a similar designation, as appropriate. (b) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates that were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and are approved by the department. The department may require the attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate. (c) The fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section is $15. Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1320, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003. Amended by: Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1136, Sec. 32, eff. September 1, 2011.

Text of section effective on September 01, 2011 Sec. 504.501. CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAVEL TRAILERS. (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old. The license plates must include the word "Classic" or a similar designation, as appropriate. (b) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use license plates that were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of the vehicle and are approved by the department if the plates are approved for the vehicle before January 1, 2011. The department may require the attachment of a registration insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of information originally on the license plate. (c) There is no fee for issuance or approval of license plates under this section. Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1320, Sec. 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003. Amended by: Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1136, Sec. 32, eff. September 1, 2011.

5. 2ratty4u

2ratty4u
    from dallas, tx

Number Six:

Not saying you're wrong cuz it looks like you obviously did your homework, but I just called the local tax office in Collin County and talked to 2 people that said this DID NOT PASS through the state. I am going through the same thing now with trying to register my plates. The guy I bought them from mentioned this new law, so I called the tax office. Initially, she said "Yes, there are a lot of new changes coming through on Sept. 1, 2011", but she was not clear on the YOM antique plates. She said she'd check and call me back today. She called today and told me that specific law did not pass and the state will continue to honor YOM plates as before.

I took this as a relief because in order to register the plates, I have to have insurance on the car. It's in 1000 pieces. I didn't want to have to mess with insuring it for a month to get the plates registered and then canceling it....blah blah blah...

Don't wanna confuse anyone, just throwing out what I found out.

6. BLAKE

BLAKE

Once again, even tho you need the pair of Texas YOM plates to register them, you only need to run the rear plate if registered as 'Antique' (Transportation Code, Sec 504.502.h).

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

Just left the tax office and they said that they are going to continue letting us register YOM plates !

8. impalalover60

impalalover60

Ok so I just got my antique plates and they are for 2 yrs instead of 5. It feels funny without the tags in the window. Does anyone have a copy of the rules?? I want to print them out and leave them in the car...

9. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

After seeing the pics of your car...good luck with that. You should be very effective at distracting the police from my truck.

10. Rules are on the DMV are tax web site. Your car is registered for two years because all the YOM plates will be due for regiistertion in 13.

11. bob35

bob35
    from DFW, TX

Posted this in another thread before I saw this one... that legislation that would have disallowed YOM plates was repealed and reversed!! So there are no restrictions to using YOM plated in Texas. Register as "antique" and you don't need an inspection, but are only supposed to drive for shows, parades, etc. Register as a "classic" and you'll need yearly inspection, but will have no restrictions on driving. Either way, you can use YOM plates, and it'll only cost you an extra $15 per year.

I just registered YOM plates on my '35 Ford as "classic"... didn't want any driving restrictions or hassles. Had no problems at all getting the plates registered.

FYI... if you do get your car inspected, make sure you GO BACK to the inspection area while they are doing it. They say you're not supposed to, but when you've got a specialty car, they don't seem to mind. The reason I say this is because you can make sure it gets inspected correctly! They would have failed my '35 Ford inspection if I hadn't been there to question it - the first issue was that the car doesn't have a hi-beam indicator on the dash. I had to challenge them that it didn't have one in 1935 so it's not required. They checked their books, and said OK. Next, their computer told them they still had to check the seat belts. So I had to challenge that as well, explaining that seat belts weren't required until the late 60's. They checked and said OK. Had I not been there watching them, they may not have even questioned their computer's error.

~Bob

12. mikes67

mikes67

I was at my monthly club meeting and there was some discussion abut the state requiring classic and antique cars having to get the state inspection and regular plates, not ones from your local flea market/swap meet. Anybody heard any thing about that.

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Nope

14. BLAKE

BLAKE

There was an attempt or rumored attempt to change the law on Sept 1 to prohibit future registrations of YOM plates... so lots of folks suggesting running out and getting them now so that your YOM's would be grandfathered in. However, last I heard is that the law didn't change, so YOM plates are still OK for Classic/Antique... as far as I know.

15. bcumbie

bcumbie
    from East Texas

Ok I got a question, bought a 53 chevy sedan with California title. Got a set of 53 texas plates on the way, now when I go down to register it as a antique will I have to get it inspected to get a Texas title? I know I had to do that with a few other cars bought from out of state, but they've always been later model cars with regular tags. I'm going to call the tax office ASAP but I was just curious if anyone on here knew...

16. jbtine

jbtine

When a vehicle is brought into Texas it has to be inspected to get a "green sheet". It makes no difference if it is registered antique or classic. After that a vehicle registered as antique will not have to be inspected. One thing I found out about Texas, A vehicle regardless of how it is registered DOES NOT have to be titled in Texas. You can do a registration only. My 39, 31 and even my 2005 pickup are still titled in Florida.

17. bcumbie

bcumbie
    from East Texas

Well I've got to do a title transfer into my name also. So I guess I'll get it green sheeted then.

18. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Just get a title for title purpose only.....no inspection needed....then later get registration

19. Brokenspoke has spoken - you can transfer the title and get it in your name without tags for the moment.....good idea - and for insurance purpose....then get the green sheet for plates later....

20. jbtine

jbtine

Unless I'm mistaken you will have to have the green sheet to transfer the title. Anytime a vehicle is brought in state they want to verify the vin. The green sheet is how its done and why it has to be inspected the first time unless you trailer car to the tag office or have law enforcement verify it. The inspection station verifies the vin.

21. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

You can Title a car with another states title in Texas without inspection if you Title only,you will need a greensheet for registration.

22. jbtine

jbtine

According to the subcourt house in Lake Worth if you bring a car into Texas with an out of state title, to have it titled in Texas someone has to verify the vin, but as we all know that varies from person to person and county to county depending on who you talk to.

23. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I bought my 46 Ford from Arkansas and had the car title transferred only without registering it. No vin inspection or any officer looking at it. Infact the lady at the tax office looked at the Ark title and asked me which number on the paper matched the car. No green sheet required until registration. I did have to show insurance I have on other vehicles in Texas.

24. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I've done 3 and the very nice lady suggested I do it the way I stated....after I told her its in parts and not drivable ....I got a clear blue title in all 3 ....then later its not a problem to get plates.....BTW I also told her i just wanted a to title....I didnt low ball the value...the state gets the $$$$no problem

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's where people screw up. They try to say they paid $50 for a car. While it is possible it did cost $50, it makes some DMV folks look a little harder at the paper work.

26. Patton

Patton
    from Texas

I am looking for some antique truck tags for my husband and wondered if anyone can help me out. If you have any venders or websites that I can contact that would be awesome!!

27. MrFalcon62

MrFalcon62

That is the rule. However, I drove my '62 Falcon with "Antique" registration for 3 years as a daily driver.

The only run-in I had with the law was when a gate guard at Dyess Air Force Base questioned me about my inspection sticker. When I explained to him that antique cars don't require registration, he let me go.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. OwlWheelWorks

OwlWheelWorks

Here's a fun one... Im about to try and register my 1959 McDonough Buckboard in College Station. Id like to be able to drive short distances to car meets (especially First Friday in Bryan). Some of these came with titles however mine did not. Some cities required them to be registered back in the 50s and 60s. Its not exactly a street legal machine.... It will have lights and I am looking for a YOM plate. What issues do you see me running into? I know this will be a long shot! Picture is before, Im restoring it as we speak. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Attached Files: