Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empire

empire

[​IMG]

Zoot Suits, 22 June 1948. Three Jamaican Immigrants (left to right) John Hazel, a 21-year-old boxer, Harold Wilmot, 32, and John Roberts, a 22-year-old carpenter, arriving at Tilbury onboard the ex-troopship Empire Windrush, smartly dressed in zoot suits and trilby hats.

2. empire

empire

3. empire

empire

[​IMG]

February 9, 1964

4. Nowadays, this would be the guy needing extensive background checks, to make sure he isn't a risk to all those children. Sad, what our world has become.

5. Happy fellow @ Pike's Peak?<label for="rb_iconid_11"></label>
    <label for="rb_iconid_11"></label>

6. Teddy's Rough Riders - America's first international power flexing.

7. empire

empire

Yes, very sad that a guy who is a citizen has to jump through hoops of fire to get a low paying job but a guy getting of a boat is welcomed with open arms.

8. empire

empire

I'm sure you meant the first US power flexing...

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Yes, but I'd be hard pressed to say what type of ship. A great many ships, both friend and foe, had seaplanes that could be launched from ships before and during WWII. Some were craned over the side and back, and some were "shot" from swiveling catapults and retrieved with cranes. Even some submarines had them, in cylindrical hangars mounted on deck (also used for commandos and later for first generation cruise missiles). Gary

10. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

A bunch of genuine bad-asses ... no posers in this bunch.

11. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

I think that could be aboard an earlier battleship, and is in the superstructure somewhere. The catapult would be amidships and would swing out for launch.

Later battleships and heavy and light cruisers had the catapults on the fantail and the hangars below them.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And I forgot those nasty merchant marine "raiders" that had all kinds of sneaky things going on! Gary

13. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

My uncle served aboard the flagship of a battlegroup in the Mediterranean during WWII. He spoke of having a scout plane that would fly out to check on the effectiveness of the heavy artillery fire! :eek: Because of radio silence, the plane would fly back to the ship and "bomb" the deck with a canister containing a hand-written note with the fire corrections, then fly back to the target!
    During one of the note bombing runs, his ship's plane turned and clipped a guy wire and crashed into the sea, killing the crew.

14. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

why would you need radio silence when you are shelling somebody? they certainly know you are in the neighborhood... and the Germans found real quick shooting at observation planes did not work out so well.

15. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Not always, When I got out of the Navy in 67 I bought a house in Whitter, ca . The neighbor across the street had a son who was in the angles, They would line up on the curb and get ready to rumble. Kick Kick -------- then Tiny would hit the starter and they would go down the street. I asked one day why they let him have a starter He said they were tired of replacing the kick arm.

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

[​IMG]
    What makes you guys think he's angry??????? Maybe he's just constipated:D

17. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

No, he's pissed because he just got a ticket for parking the wrong direction on the right side of the street after getting home from the Bank where he was told he doesn't qualify for a home imporvement loan to add an extension onto his one car garage for the 56 Chevy.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

To prevent radio direction finding, so the target couldn't get a fix on you and shoot back effectively. Remember, this is long before satellite sensors or radar back azimuth tracking of inbound ordnance, etc. All the other electronic stuff was probably off, too, or at least only used for very short periods of time. Those guns could shoot well over the horizon, so you couldn't even see the target from your ship. Having an eye in the sky was a BIG deal. Gary

19. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two photos of Los Alamos, New Mexico during WWII.

20. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The upper photo was used as the poster for the 40th anniversary. I have one. I used to work there.

21. brewsterg6

brewsterg6

Have you read a true history of Teddy?? He was the biggest poser of them all when it came to his military and western escapades! Someday have a read through "The Imperial Cruise" by James Bradley... a great book that looks at the real Teddy...

22. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Still does not make sense. The ship does not have to say boo; and the spotting plane is of course moving and visible, so DF is of no real use. Shuttling back and forth between ship and target takes time, where your firing solution will expire.

23. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

He could be pissed because that 56 Olds blew his doors off his power pack stick.

24. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

My character in Cowboy Action Shooting is a member of the 1st Volunteers; aka Rough Riders. While researching my uniform I learned that during the invasion of Cuba, the group not only left their horses back in the States, the military experts determined that the men didn't need there sidearms, either! See how many of the soldiers in the above photo, besides Teddy, have holsters.
    Why would you ever need a handgun in close-quarters jungle fighting?:rolleyes:

25. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Unlike other forms of transportation, school buses haven't changed much. Just a yellow flashing light in addition to the red flashers on here.

26. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Search tell us what you did to only retire at E5

27. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

This has got to be the #1 thread, the one with the most posts with this one being #82532

28. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

No explanation necessary.

29. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

I'm not a smoker and don't like what it does to people (like George Harrison), but I like this photo of a pensive Ringo Starr.

30. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

One more....If you like these, search for Mike Mitchell Beatle photos. Most of them he took as an 18 year old at the Washington D. C. concert in 1964.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.