Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine selection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Big Mac, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have a stuck chevy 348 tri power that is likely fixable/buildable. I also have a sbc 350 4 bolt main short block sitting in the garage ready to go I know this is the cart before the horse, but I have the motors and I don't have the car yet, so I would like to get started on the motor.

It's going to be a little coupe or roadster build. Model A most likely. I am shooting for streetable power. This will be my fast car. 4 speed, lower gears, fun around town kinda thing.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each of the engines? I know the 350 is the plain vanilla option everyone is going to complain about, but a 383 sounds like lots of fun. What can be done to a 348? I've heard of 348 strokers with 409 heads? Curious what others have done. Which would be a better high horsepower, yet somewhat street friendly motor? I know aesthetically speaking it's the 348 all the way, but I was curious what other benefits the world of the HAMB would inform me of. Looking forward to some dialogue! Thanks.

Mac

2. The SBC is just about the best Horsepower per dollar V8 you can build. But, the W motor does have the "cool" factor. If it were me, and on my limited budget, I'd build the SBC and have fun.

By the way, I've rode in several 383 powered cars, and they are darned impressive.

And as much as everyone dogs on the small block, there is volumes of great tech on here about them.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If money is an issue hands down the small block.
    For the wow factor the 348 you stroke one with a crank out of a 409 and some eddy heads would be fun.

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

My sentiments exactly.The 348 would also have the wow factor either way,but the SBC is the most common motor on the planet.Either choice is fine.

5. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I wouldn't want to spend more than $6-$8k or so on the motor...

6. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

6-8k on a motor? You got more money than me. LOL. Tear down the 348 and see what it needs and go from there.

7. The SBC weighs ~70 lb. less than the 348/409, depending on what components you use.

All that weight difference is directly over the front axle. Something to think about if you're truly serious about a fast, streetable car, as opposed to one with a "wow factor".

8. 348s look cool....350s look boring
    I would think you could make either run about the same but the 348 would cost maybe 50% more to build depending on how you do it.

Attached Files:

9. woodypecker

woodypecker

Cheap light fast or really cool and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

10. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The small block will be a much easier install in an early roadster.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

348 + reworked 454 crank = 427 cu

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I guess the first question to ask your self is if you know a machine shop capable to machine a W engine.
    That will set the budget on the 348 build.
    small block well enough said.

13. Have to agree with the rest, 350 is not unique, cheaper, smaller, lighter and better choice for performance. 348 is way cooler, more expensive and heavier with less performance.

Since you have limited funds, build the 350 and get the car running and driving. A running driving car beats one stuck in the garage.

14. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Im still rooting for the 348....I have a pile of sbc and bbc engines, thier great to melt down. The 348 is different from the norm, tear it down and check it out, see if its worth getting into (salvageable) get quotes and see if it fits the budget...

15. squirrel

squirrel

If you put a hood on the car, run the 350. If no hood, do the 348.

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

I buy parts from a guy that supplys cores to rebuilders. He says good 350 cores are getting hard to find. So maybe you should hang on to them.

17. Mac, call me again. I had less than 3K in the 358, yes 348 bored that was in my T. Great looks, fast stoplight to stoplight.