Register now to get rid of these ads!

Air suspension compressor question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocknrolldaddy, Nov 4, 2013.

1. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I'm in the process of bagging my car (front and back). I'm running 3/8 lines. I have a 3 gallon tank and a Helix, 200 psi, 100% duty cycle compressor. I see a lot of people running 2 Vair compressors that are about half the size of my Helix. I think those are 33% duty cycle. It has been suggested to me, I should run two compressors as well. I understand the fact that they don't have to work as hard if I run two but, is it that important?

It just seems to me that I wouldn't need two, considering the size and duty cycle of mine compared to the smaller ones they're using. I'm just letting out the air when I park, and raising it back up when I'm gonna drive it.

Thanks.

2. badsco

badsco

Not familiar with Helix compressors, but that is a small tank for front and back. You may not get more than a single lift with that size, depending on what pressure your compressor cuts off at.

My rule of thumb is 1 compressor for every 4 to 5 gallons. Depending on the model #'s, Viairs are up to 100% duty cycle.

I run dual 480's on an 8 gallon for 4 corner air ride. Smallest tank I would run is a 5 gallon.

Duty cycle mostly comes down to how much you want to play with it.

BTW, also consider your charging system of you consider going to dual compressors.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  3. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Dang. I haven't even thought about the charging system. I have the original 12V generator. I like the look.:cool:

I think I have a 3 gallon tank. I've seen bigger tanks, but also seen smaller ones.

I bought it with 8 valves attached to it, drain plug and two bags from a guy that wrecked his truck. I know that doesn't mean anything. So can I tell what the capacity is on the tank?

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

A three gallon tank seems kind of small to me and too small for two compressors. The Ride Tech system in my 63 BelAir has a five gallon tank and one compressor. To cut down on extended compressor usage, after parking in my garage or any other place for an extended period of time I drop the front and rear until the pressure reads 50# rather then dump it all the way. After starting and before moving I pump the front to 100# and the back to 90#. That way the compressor only has to run a very short period of time. The front comes up on the residual air in the tank. The compressor only runs as the back comes up from 50# to 90#. You should be able to tell the tank capacity by the size. My tank is approximately 7" in diameter X 18" long. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

5. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Like you, I don't plan on getting crazy with the air system. I like the idea of letting the system down to 50 lbs. How many gauges are you running? I have one with two needles. In my opinion, a car that bounces around when you fill the bags doesn't look real smooth.

My tank is 24" long and 8" round. I'm thinking more like a 5 gallon.

6. badsco

badsco

Reality is though, your pressures may not be where you left them after a couple of days!!

Best to compare tank measurements to figure out what you have. 5 gallon is fine with a single compressor as stated (dimensions calculate out to close to 5). At the end of the day, it was in a working truck as you said, you can always add on later.

If you have 8 valves, you need a gauge for each corner (2 dual needles) and should have one on the tank itself so you know where you are at. I used a chrome triple gauge bezel to mount them

And I hate to be the one to say it, but your generator may not cut it, even with a single compressor...

7. squeaky32

squeaky32

One thing that took us awhile to get right on our rivi was the tank to compressor ratio, we went through about 5 set ups before we settled on a 5 gal with two small compressors. You got to be careful on how much power they draw, that too much will bog them down where one works better than two.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hate to say this, but I wouldn't be depending on a Helix compressor. From my first hand experience with stuff from the Hoffman Group, it's all Chinese rubbish. I'd get another compressor from Ride Tech and use the Helix piece as a supplement/ backup.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

My Ride Tech set up has four switches and two gauges with four needles. My system pressure stays at 50# when parked for weeks with no decrease in pressure, it does not bleed off. Ride Tech may be a little pricey but I couldn't be happier with it. Halfdozen has it right. You don't want a Chinese compressor they are junk. Bite the bullet and buy the Ride Tech compressor it will save you money in the long run.

10. Boosted54

Boosted54

the Ride Tech compressors really are not that expensive and have a knowledgeable and track proven team behind them

11. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

so definitely hit a snag now. I don't want to get stranded cause of a cheap ass compressor.

Thanks, guys.

12. xwing01

xwing01

there are quite a few threads on here regarding Helix products from the Hoffman Group

13. badsco

badsco

Don't get buried by the details! I installed one of these on every setup I have had a hand in, just to get home in the event of a problem.
    I would go with Viair if you decide to upgrade at some point. They are extremely proven.
    [​IMG]

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

badsco has it right. I've got one as well just in case your compressor bites the dust. Another thing I carry in my trunk is a few small pieces of 2X4's just in case I blow a bag.

15. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Where did you install that? On the tank? I have a couple of those right now while I mock up everything.

I have some 2x3 rubber blocks I found in a dumpster to keep in case of a blow out. :D

16. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Any reason you don't want to run a york. They will fill a 10+ gallon tank in 10 seconds. Cheap in the junkyard and pretty easy to wire up.

17. 59 brook

59 brook

i put a standard quick disconnect for an air line like in a garage behind my lic plate. i carry a quick disconnect end adapted to a schrader valve like you have but i also have a quick disconnect with a male end screwed to a female one. this gives me back to back quick disconnects. in my shop i hook up to the airlines and get 150 psi with running the viair on the wagon. when i am out of town any garage will usually let me get some air if needed and i carry a 25' coiled air hose with a tire chuck so i can fill my own tire if i need to

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Helix is a Hoffman Group brand. NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY!

Seriously, research BEFORE YOU BUY!

19. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Definitely look into viairs. I'm running 3 viair 444c's on my impala. No problems with them. I'll spare you the details on my setup as its basically overkill ;) Haha

20. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

What the hell is a york?

21. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I already have the Helix. It came in a lot of parts I purchased.

You're not the first person I hear a bad review from. But at the same time, they're still in business. Building on a budget sucks balls! But so does being stranded, and a tow should never be included in a budget.

22. xrosczech

xrosczech

York is an A/C compressor that can be converted to use as a pump for bags, its engine powered obviously.

Also one thing, spend the extra $ for the DOT fittings, the non DOT fittings leak, I have replace mine in the rear since I did not know the difference=annoying..

BTW in my 63 Cadillac I run 2X VIAIR 480C compressors, 2X 5 gallon tanks and BIGRED 3/8 valves (the back is a little fast for me),

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  23. bigpokie

bigpokie

very true !!! or airbagit.com. both are just high turnover companys. but badsco was right with 1 comp per 5 gals. as for the york, they are nice to have the engine driven compressor (edc). but if you do get one, make sure to add 5' or more out of it because it does produce alot of hot air. hydraulic line should be great for this. sanden is another ac pump you can use for a edc

24. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

York 210 on my impala

Post sent by carrier pigeon

Attached Files:

25. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

Are you still running a tank, gauges, valves, censor, switches? or does it just keep the bags filled when it on and dumps when its not running? How does it work?

26. bigpokie

bigpokie

Yes you still need to run all of that. I assume that by "censor" you mean pressure switch ? If so, then yes. Some people run a separate one just for the edc but I don't think it's neccesary. It will always spin bravo use of the belt, but will only work when the clutch engages. You also need to build an unloaded to get rid of the pressure inside after it stops

27. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

As he said.....
    These assholes would have to be the worst in the business and sell nothing but poor quality shit......Hoffman Group seriously need to be run out of town !

28. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Bigpokie answered it. :thumbup:

Post sent by carrier pigeon

29. chafin

chafin

Ive read a lot of opinions so far, some good and some not so good, but here's the question that should have been asked already. What are you looking for or wanting your air ride to do. I own a shop doing this and its one of the most important Q's to ask. If your looking for simplicity and not putting a huge strain on your generator, then go with an engine driven with your tank. If that doesnt bother you, then go with an electric compressor and tank. I personally use and sell Viair compressors but there is no problem using what you have if it works. Ive installed airbagit comps that still run today. Im not saying theyre the best but they work.