Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopping two 1940 mercs

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Sledge, Oct 27, 2013.

1. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

So cool, Kevan...you make it look easy

2. 4444Design

4444Design

cool watching a pro's work

3. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

Very very good :) I really look forward to seeing it, it is project which would help me a lot http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834189

4. Looking great
    Can't wait to see Nathans car when it arrives over here

5. vadstena bil

vadstena bil
    from sweden

Love your work at thoose Mercs want you to contact me i am i merc fan whith lots of parts have two 1940 merc convertible that i started to restore mayby we can change some parts my mail adress is [email protected] i have had them in 10 years and collecting parts everyday but in sweden its not so easy when i see your work i really what a coupe as well if you want i can send pictures on booth restoration thanks dudden

6. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Love to see that mercury smile, looking really good..........

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice to see that you started with good solid cars, has to save a ton of work over rough ones. Don't think I've ever seen a 39-40 chopped step by step, thanks for the tour. Bob

8. I like your technique on removing the big forehead. Very nice metal shaping and metal finishing skills.

9. vadstena bil

vadstena bil
    from sweden

Some photos on my mercs under restoration !

Attached Files:

10. vadstena bil

vadstena bil
    from sweden

More photos

Attached Files:

• 058.jpg
      058.jpg
      File size:
      97.6 KB
      Views:
  11. vadstena bil

vadstena bil
    from sweden

more photos

Attached Files:

12. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Nice project bil! Tell that dude to get off your hood!

13. Sprout

Sprout

Beautiful work

14. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Got more work done on Jason's Merc last weekend. We straitened out the rear cross member which brought the tail way down. Then did some more test fitting on the passenger sail panel which still needs more work but getting closer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now it's looking like a custom! As Jason says "when you chop and drop a 40 merc it's like transforming the biggest dork in school into the coolest dude in school" hahaha:p
    [​IMG]

15. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

I know the feeling. I was a total zero in school. Laughed at. Made fun of. Then I discovered sex panther cologne. :cool:

16. vadstena bil

vadstena bil
    from sweden

The photo is taken for a cd the bands name is Hub Caps and they play god music just wonder if you are intressted to trade some parts ?please mail me on my mail when you got time [email protected]

17. vadstena bil

vadstena bil
    from sweden

some photos again

Attached Files:

18. alchemy

alchemy

When you cut the piecuts from the ends and centers of the crossmember, then bend it upward, how does it not pull the framerails closer? I've sketched it out and made paper patterns, and each time it wants to make the crossmember "shorter". Did you actually cut the crossmember free at some point, and need to put some spacers in somewhere?

19. thedreamer

thedreamer

Looks awesome! Great work.

20. Amazing work Sledge! Looks like things are going well for you in Northern California.

21. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

No I don't cut it free or use spacers, but I don't flatten it out completely either so maybe that's why. The frame has lots of strength from the body mounts, center crossmember, and rear spacer so I guess that's what keeps it from pulling the frame in. You can add some extra support if you're worried about it but I've never had a problem.

22. alchemy

alchemy

I wasn't worried about the support or strength, I was wondering if the geometry worked out. Looks so simple and easy to do, I was hoping it was true.

BTW: I LOVE the chops on those two coupes, as well as the others you'd posted in the past.

23. nifty

nifty
    from UK

wow what a difference the drop makes, Jason must be stoked with how it's coming together. From the angle of the photo it doesn't even look like the front end needs to be lowered. Seriously cool

24. If the outer cuts (top down) and the inner cuts (bottom up) remove the same amount of material they should cancel each other out, and won't widen or narrow the dimensions... I think :D

25. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Kevan,

Killer chops on the two Mercs!

Did the Marron Merc once have a softball sized dent in the right sail panel?

Also, whats the story on the Baka bomber in the corner of shop in the early photos:)

26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

No didn't see a softball size dent? The bomber is a full size replica of a Japanese Ocha Kamikaze that Jason Built!

27. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Wow awesome work as always

28. Kevan...do have a photo of the rear crossmember welded back together & in place?

29. fryguy

fryguy

Kevan, great work on those two mercs. All this work is getting others to start building 40 Mercs. Please No! I am having a rough time finding parts for mine already. I did pick up that sedan from Drew so that's going to be a big help.
    You have all the nice stockers to work with, Drew and I here on the right coast are lucky to work with parts cars, ha ha

the green merc you are working on, is that a stock color? it looks to be the same as the green sedan I picked up. Wonder what that color name is?

Fryguy

[​IMG]

30. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Paul. I don't think the green is the stock color. The stock color is slightly darker. I will try to post of picture later.