Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone got access to a Ford 8.8 True Trac differential?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tunglegubbin, Oct 14, 2013.

1. tunglegubbin

tunglegubbin

I'm looking to replace the Powertrax differential in my 1936 Ford V8 rear end.
    I want a Torsen type differential and keeping with American brands makes finding drive shafts easier.

The Detroit True Trac for a modern Ford 8.8 axle looks doable and it's made for 28 spline axles.
    However, in order to know if it will clear the pinion support bearing I would need to know the outside diameter of the differential housing.

Anyone got access to one and willing to take some measurements?

/Mikael

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. JEM

JEM

I can do it tonight.

3. JEM

JEM

Sorry for the delay:

[​IMG]

Measuring-tape-grade measurements (within 1/8in) as follows:

Gear case diameter: 5 inches
    Width between the insides of the bearing seating surfaces on each end: 6 inches
    Ring gear flange diameter 7 inches

The plate in the center of the photo is an access hole, most 8.8s (not the IRS pumpkins or 8.8s with Moser 9in bearing conversions) use C-clips to retain the axle shafts, this plate covers the C-clip/spacer plug access and is held in with a snap-ring.

I'll note that while Eaton may be an American brand, these things are now made in Taiwan...

They're also made for Ford 7.5s and Dana 30/31s if the 8.8 unit's too large (the latter diffs are often used in 2xx/7xx RWD Volvos over here, so there might be someone in your area who's got one), or possibly the Torsen from a fourth-gen Camaro SS/Trans Am WS6 7.5in 10-bolt.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. tunglegubbin

tunglegubbin

Thank you,

My limiting diameter is 4.8503" so it looks like I would have to look for something else.

/Mikael