Register now to get rid of these ads!

Western Canada 34 coupe still around ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wisenheimer, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer

I always wondered what became of this 34 3 window coupe from the Vancouver / Victoria area of British Columbia. The car had been owned by Cal Morrow of Vancouver and Daryl Foster of Victoria B.C. during the late 50's early 60's. The car was chopped 5 inches and was channeled and had a custom hood and nose panel. The car ran a '50 Olds with a column shift and was painted blue metalic with a white and red interior at one time it looks to have been orange as well with a orange and black interior. The car always seemed to have a custom front nerf bar one had " CAL " and one had " O ". The car was featured in July '62 when owned by Daryl Foster. Seems to me fellow hamber ss34coupe has a chopped 34 3 window I wonder if it is his car ? Anyone got pictures or remember this car ?

Attached Files:

2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

This car is very similar to mine, and I wondered the same thing as you when I first saw the article in the old Car Craft magazine. Picked up a copy around '93 or '94, and thought it was my car. The chop is the same - 3 inches in front, and 4 inches in back. So I set out to find Daryl Foster, and he was still in the phone book. He invited me over to look at pics of his old car. We determined that it was a car built in Victoria (for the second time) in the early 80's - and last I heard, it was over in the Vancouver area. Now a full fendered car like mine. I figure the same guy probably chopped both cars.

Anybody have more current info on this great old rod?

Attached Files:

3. Can't help with that one. Never saw that car in the Vancouver area. Pat.

4. Roadsir

Roadsir

Beautiful chops on both cars. Were the A posts leaned back?

5. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Wow cool car. I want one of those.

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I know where the nose section, hood and fenders for the Daryl Foster car are currently located, but good luck trying to convince the owner to show them to you, much less sell them. This car was also featured in the November 1958 issue of Hotrod magazine, using the same photos as appeared later in the Car Craft article.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. I just happened to have that copy on my desk.
    I wish I could post larger pictures.
    HemiDeuce.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

anybody in the Vancouver, B.C. area have any further info on the whereabouts of this old coupe. It was rebuilt as a full-fendered car, but was chanelled about two inches, so sits very low. Almost all full-fendered cars are not chanelled at all, so this little bit of info should jog some memories. Last I heard about 10 years ago the car was painted black.

9. I remember seeing an old yellow, chopped full fendered 34 in Al Cruickshank's barn/shop in New Westminster in 1963. When I saw a similar 34 in Victoria in the 80's I assumed it was the same car.

10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

The yellow full-fendered 34 coupe you saw in Victoria is the rod that appeared in the 1958 Hotrod magazine. The car sold to a guy in Vancouver in the mid-80's, and later was painted black. The car you saw in 1963 would be a different rod - wonder what happened to it.

11. I cut my teeth on this car in the 80s as a teenager. Its the car that gave me this sickness we all share. My good friend John Beddington built the car as a full fendered rod. He found it being used as a chicken coup, seriously! It turned out it was the Foster car, known as the Orange Crate. It was even raced at Bonneville, driven down there and back too.
    I have pics of it somewhere. When John first put it together it was yellow with flames. A guy backed into it at a local pub one night and John decided to change it to black when we fixed it.
    The car is the one in Brackendale. It had a 302 ford in it, it now sports a SBC.
    I remember building a few pieces for it in the machine shop at Victoria High School. It was cool getting a ride to school in it too!
    The car was in the movie Glitterdome, starring James Garner. The movie was shot at my school too. They made our auto shop look like a 1950s Universal Studios:D
    I'll try to get some pics of it up soon.

-Shiny

12. 5w32

5w32

is this the one that was in the Sechelt show about 2 years ago, the owner had passed away and the daughter was showing it....it had very mixed themes but you could tell it was cool originally..

13. 4 1/2 years and it looks like the trail is hot again on this one!
    I love Canadian Hot Rod stories!

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That is the best pic I have seen of this old rod yet! Thanks for posting it. Sure would like to know where the car is now located and what it looks like today. It is full-fendered now and apparently near Squamish, B.C..

15. minny41

minny41
    from Canada

I was the gal who bought the 34 from Daryl Foster. We did some work on it and my husband Gary and I raced it and his 50 Ford up island at San Cobble. We sold it to a fellow named Mike Coppinger and sad to say that's where it became a chicken coop. I wish we still had that car and would love to see it again. We've moved up to a 37 Slantback so still having fun.:)

16. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

ok, Minny, with these great cars to talk about it is time to start posting! Would be great to see some pics of the 34 coupe - hopefully you have some to share.
    If you need help posting them here, pm me and I will help you with that.

17. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

What a bitchin' car!

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sherlock Holmes could learn a a thing or two about solving mysteries from the HAMB. Once again I'm amazed at the reach of this board.

Frank

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Saw this pic recently, and it shows the second phase of the coupe described above. That chopped and channeled three window was re-done in the 80's into a full fendered car - still had about a two inch channel. The last cop-34 coupe.JPG I heard this coupe was painted black, but apparently is still somewhere in B.C. Anybody got any current info?

20. don miller

don miller

If you email me ([email protected]) I can put you in touch with John Beddington the guy that redid the Cal Morrow/Darryl Foster coupe as pictured in front of the Parliament Buildings. I know he should still have a ton of pictures when we were building it back in the '80s. Yes it did get painted black and was sold to someone here on the mainland but it was redone after John sold it. Just a few little bits of info-body was channeled more than 2 inches Basically the amout of the frame, nobody had ever done that with a full fendered car before cause nothing would fit after (fenders, running boards splash aprons etc) . Engine was a 302 Ford/c4, super bell axle, Pete Rymer 4-bar and mustang steering. The above picture was a publicity deal for a dance I think. The first show it was entered in it had 8 individual straight pipes for exhaust-will never forget the look on everyones face when John drove it into the Panorama arena I think it scared all the tri 5 chevy guys out of their lawnchairs!! Won people's choice at that show

29EHV8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Thanks very much for the info, Don.