Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. If you need larger material, I've heard that torsion bars also make great punches and chisels

2. Had a pry bar at work we made out of a torsion bar from a sixties GMC big truck,
    about 1-1/2" diameter, heavy as heck; but super strong for the tough jobs.

3. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Nice idea![​IMG]

4. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

X2, you should be able to buy that off the snapon truck!

5. bjinatj

bjinatj

As soon as they see it you will..

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Ha Ha! That was my job at Snap-on many years ago.
    (New tool development)

Actually, they have very strict rules about using non-employee ideas for new tools. A guy has to have a patent applied for before Snap-on can even talk to them. (this isn't necessarily true about some competitors).

Since I'm retired, I am going to steal this idea and make one for myself!

7. GO FOR IT! It's all about sharing. I got the idea when I saw a similar tool for $40. I figured I already own the screw as part of another tool. The big nut was in my misc drawer and the tube was in a box of misc metal I keep exactly for little jobs like this. As I welded the nut to the tube the plastic that makes it a "lock" nut melted out. I ran the screw thru the nut a few times with anti seize compound and it was done. So, I saved $40 in 5 minutes and have a tool I've needed more than once for stubborn pinion yokes

8. olcarguy

olcarguy

Take an old unused long board, a little modification. Get at that hard to reach spot.

Attached Files:

9. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

thanks,olcarguy i can use that idea on my DD.was wondering how i was going to do that.just started chopping the rust today.

10. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

nice---ill use this for sure--thx

11. mounting a body shell in the Hoops is as simple as finding vacant holes in the suspension area, cowl area, aprons, where ever! there are no rules if it is a good solid area run the bar to it and to one of the tabs on the Hoop, or you can even tack weld to the rear window pinch weld area, or bolt to the package tray panel it is much simpler than it seems. Suspending the body shell so it can safely and easily rotate is what it's all about, (no bulky devises taking up valuable shop space bolted to the ends where most rusty area are). Replacing panels, doing metal and body work, priming and even painting is still as simple as can be, the small trade off of space the Hoops take up is greatly over compensated for in the performance of what they allow you to do and achieve. The ability to flip and spin the body shell of a car like a feather and lock it in place within seconds with a press of your toe so you can keep on performing your work! it is incredible, efficient and most of all kinda fun! and that normally does not go with body and metal work on rusty old cars.

Once you walk up to a unit in action and take it for a spin and do a weeks worth of work in 3 days then your a believer, it is a simple concept and the pictures tell the story and should be easy enough to copy for the guy who like to cut weld and build things.

Rastus likes this.
  12. bjinatj

bjinatj

Thanks for the additional information. I do like the concept. It looks like a great product, especially for the blaster and metal guy.

13. Louie S.

Louie S.

I like the design, so what does one of these cost?

14. gtermini

gtermini
    from Amity, OR

I posted about my homemade belt grinder a while back (post #1904). If was operational, but not cleaned up. I finally took a couple pics of it as it is now. The only things I adder were a custom Dazor light and a top wheel gaurd because it threw sparks straight out right at eye level. And I topped all the mods off with a couple coats of machine gray. Fer yer enjoyment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greyson

15. Painting homemade tools is just wrong!!!!!!!! LOL

16. Got my inspiration here on the HAMB to build my own bullseye hammer and dolly, 1" conduit and some scrap metal found in the shop. I made it with a useable 36" throat, works great, when you are by yourself and trying to do the rear inner cab section on a 1946 Studebaker M series.

This is the layout

[​IMG]

and after the final, the air hose is not attached to it by the way.. :D

[​IMG]

17. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I made a small one a couple pages back. It works so well I'm about to build 3 more of different lengths and depths. The only thing I'm gonna do different is to put return springs on the bigger ones. Looks good man

Sent from my LG-P769 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. gatz

gatz

Made this hoist back in 2003.

It adjusts from 93" at the top to 117" in 6" increments. At the lowest setting, it can roll outside the shop. The highest setting is just a few inches clear of the lights.

Some 'economy' boat winches are used to raise and lower each side. Then a 3/4" steel pin is inserted, and a hair-pin used on the end to make sure it doesn't accidentally come out.

Modified a Jet trolley to get more head room and used a 1-ton chain hoist.

Initially I made it for a tractor restoration, but since the tractor's been done and sold, it's now being used on the 40 Chrysler.

gatz

Attached Files:

19. yaidunno

yaidunno
    from Wisconsin

Very nice Gatz, looks like that would come in handy.

20. gtermini

gtermini
    from Amity, OR

It was requested that I post the homemade dust collector I build for my sandblast cabinet. It is based on a 30 gallon pony drum. The fan is something surplus I had on hand. I am using an ACDelco A1301C air filter, which is the extreme duty factory spec one for my pickup, a 1997 Chevy 1500 5.7L. The fan is just screwed to the drum lid, which had a 4" dia opening cut in the center. The draw bolt is welded to a cross member across the fan intake. I wasn't concerened with leaks. I may later add a baffel in the drum to divert the inlet towards the bottom so it doesn't suck directly at the filter.

Draw bolt:
    [​IMG]

Drum lid:
    [​IMG]

Filter:
    [​IMG]

Motor specs:
    [​IMG]

Assembled unit:
    [​IMG]

Greyson

21. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Wow,,,, When You said ' economy' boat winches" I thought you converted the hoist off of a Boat Transport trailer. Looks Good. It's even the same color as the one the Old Man had me build for him.
    I'm sure some of You guys know how the conversation will end with Dad when it starts out with { What If We ,,, }:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

22. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Also made him a set of better jack stands so he diddn't scratch the bottem of the car.

Attached Files:

23. frog49

frog49
    from Elma WA

This is my modified sandblaster - I started with the largest I could find in my price range, 24 X 24 X 48 then added a 18" pop-out on the back and a 24" pop-out on the side in place of one of the doors. As space is at a premium, I relocated the filter from the back to the side and used plastic pvc pipe as the suction hose.

Attached Files:

24. Old Iron Nut

Old Iron Nut

Nice frog49! I plan to do something similar with mine.

25. dodgewade

dodgewade
    from North AL

Nice dust collector. Will have to keep this one in mind.

26. chafin

chafin

could you also use tubing with the end tapered on one side to create a half circle?

27. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Thought some of you would like to see a early version of a auto hoop

carotator1.jpg

vintage 1920.

28. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

It has been possible to reinvent the wheel!

A couple of interesting concepts in that one. Thanks for posting.

Ed

29. I believe that there is an example of that hoop in the Smithsonian.

30. olcarguy

olcarguy

There is not a lot that we use, that has not been around before. Nice find, oldgoaly