Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Car Carriers of Yesteryear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Wow, thanks for the info. Would you know what the turbine engine was in this thing?

2. GaryN

GaryN

Judging by the scallops in the fenders I believe they are '34 Pontiacs.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

It was a GT-601 built by Garrett AirResearch. I believe at that time both Mack and Garrett were owned by the same corporation or at least had close corporate ties. The GT-601 was rated at 550 HP. The problem was that the truck couldn't efficiently use all 550 Hp at 80,000 lbs, and thus the economies of scale didn't work out in the turbines favor. Remember, that this was at a time when alot of trucks on the road were running around with 6-71 Detroit's rated at 238 Hp or 285 Hp 6-71 turbos and Mack's own Maxidyne Diesel topped out at 300 Hp.

And before I am accused of stealing a thread. How about a Mack with a load of Packards...
    [​IMG]

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

....FrozenMerc.... Mack's own Maxidyne Diesel topped out at 300 Hp.....

That takes me back to the late '60s when I drove for Guignard Freight Lines in Charlotte. They had a couple Maxidynes with 5 speed transmissions. All the other trucks in their fleet had 10 or 13 speed trans. It's still hard to believe the Mack engine had enough torque to get away with that.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

5. Thanks for the info. So true. Truck engines have come a long way since then. I worked on a few Thermodynes and Maxidynes as a kid. Interesting engines.

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Especially when the older Thermodyne's were notorious for having a very narrow power band and for burning holes through the pistons if they were ran outside of that power band for too long. The Maxidyne was a huge leap forward in performance for Mack.

Here his another pic of a heavily modified Car hauler. Looks like a '51-'52 Ford cab moved up and forward, with a load of T-birds.
    [​IMG]

7. Interesting to see that not all early T-Birds came with wide whites and wire wheels!

8. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Kiwi Kev, Can you tell me how recent was that photo and what event ?

9. Yes, Convoy built a number of custom rigs -- wild stuff, too. This one is similar in concept to the International Sightliner. Car Carriers Part II coming soon, invite your input.

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kiwi Kev,
    That thing is beautiful.

11. flynfrog

flynfrog

Ford may have been deeper into turbines than we know. I have been in there turbine dyno building. Its currently used by an FRC robotics team. I believe there were at least 6 dyno cells maybe more. The fire escape posters are still labeled turbine dyno test cell ect.

I used to work at Williams International. Talking to one of the old timers he worked on a chrysler and GM turbine for medium duty trucks and a smaller GM turbine for cars. he said it would fit in a suitcase. I have never been able to find any info on either. Chrysler did have a brief flirt with turbines again with the patriot.

http://green.autoblog.com/2007/08/0...-hybrid-drive-le-mans-racer-from-the-mid-90s/

http://www.allpar.com/model/patriot.html

[​IMG]

12. Any idea where it is now?

13. flynfrog

flynfrog

last I heard it was parked on a back lot at Ford

14. frank spittle

frank spittle

According to Lee Holman it was sold locally in the Charlotte area. I remember seeing it sitting outside for a long period of time and Mother Nature had her way with it. There is no knowledge what happened to it afterwards. Lee does not believe it was the only one built.

15. My wife bought me this picture for Christmas. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383524227.323537.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. gwhizz

gwhizz

I worked for Convoy Company in the 70's and 80's. The old time drivers referred to the sleeper in these flat nose mid engine trucks as "The Coffin."

17. Wow, great first-hand info. Priceless! Could you make a guess how many of the mid-engine rigs were built?

18. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

I can remember my dad taking me down to the shipyard to watch them unload the Chevrolet Vegas. Then he took me down to Scuncio Chevrolet when he picked up his new Vega , I had told him to get the hopped up version it came with a 350 V-8 but it was to much $$$ I think it was $3995 he ended up getting a red Vega GT. The car was the biggest POS the dealer ended up putting in 2 motors under warrenty and my dad ended up trading it in on a Pinto from Tasca Ford. He never ever bought another Cherolet after that Vega

Attached Files:

19. The Vega was sort of a bust and its transportation system never caught on either, but it did produce a few things, like the Delco no-fill battery.

20. Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  21. Not exactly a "Car Carrier of Yesteryear" ... but HAMBer @rich roberts built his own interpretation of one ... starting with a 1941 GMC COE and an old 3-axle farm trailer:

Rich Roberts' 1941 GMC COE & Trailer (side view).jpg

(1) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE Build.jpg (2) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE Build (496ci Chevy with an Allison).jpg (3) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE Build (Ag Trailer).jpg
    (4) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE Build (Streamlined Car Trailer).jpg (5) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE Build (Streamlined Car Trailer).jpg (6) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE & Streamlined Car Trailer.JPG
    (7) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE.jpg (8) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE.JPG (9) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE & Streamlined Car Trailer.JPG
    (10) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE & Streamlined Car Trailer.jpg (11) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE - 8.1L Chevy.jpg (12) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE & Streamlined Car Trailer.jpg
    (13) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE & Streamlined Car Trailer @ CHRR '11 (by Doug Hayes).jpg (14) Rich Roberts - '41 GMC COE @ CHRR '11 (by Doug Hayes).jpg (15) Rich Roberts - Streamlined Car Trailer @ CHRR '11 (by Doug Hayes).jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  22. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

the place is pomona, but what show? i did see one at the lars this year. sorry about answering for kiwi.[​IMG]

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

24. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Kiwi Kev has answered it for me. Fathers Day Pomona.

25. gatz

gatz

Scuncio was one of the companies that modified NEW Vegas for the 350

http://chevyvega.wikia.com/wiki/V8_Vegas

Wife's cousin had a Vega GT with a 4-sp and it was a helluva lot better car than my wife's 72 Vega with a sickly 4cyl and 2-sp auto.

That POS thing was overheating badly.....and when it was just 2 years old we couldn't even go faster than 55 on the Interstate driving to Omaha to trade the thing off. It puked coolant all over when we pulled into the dealership. Told the wife to go on in and I'd move the car to a less conspicuous place, although I'm sure they saw me moving it.

Traded it off on a 74 Nova Hatchback which was a whole different story. Nice car for the time. Silver and black. That thing would move!
    Wouldn't mind having it again.

26. Wow, photo of the day.

27. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

28. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana

29. patterpillar

patterpillar
    from Montana