Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hollander's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wombat barf, Nov 2, 2013.

1. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

those books were better than the Necronomicon for raising the dead or building Frankenstein :D.

In 30 years of messing with old cars I have never gotten to own a single one!

does anyone still have a few? that they use?

only the crème de la crème of the junkyards had 'em!

2. I remember my pal Deuce Roadster had a couple,,he got them from a friend that had a yard. HRP

3. F&J

F&J

me neither, but i think they are available as reprints..?

4. BTW,,There are a bunch of them listed on Evil Bay. HRP

5. spiders web

spiders web

Yes they are available at hollanderinterchange.net . There you can purchase different ones that apply to your needs. I have all from 1920 thru 1972. They are wonderful and very helpful. Don't see the need for past 1972. Good luck! P.S. the prices are reasonable.

6. yes....have most from 1990 back to the 30's listing some stuff to the 20's - having worked in yards since the early 70's - I inherited them as the yards closed out....some guys understand them and some - they just confuse em'....

like was said - some are in reprint....

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

very helpful have had mine for years...

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one and wish i had more of the older ones. I've been in long time wrecking yards that had shelves full of them in consecutive order.

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Picked up one at an auction years ago. $20 comes to mind. Big thick edition from the early seventy's, maybe '71 or 2. Go's back quite a few years to around '61 or so I think. Great tool, and call me weird, but I find it damn good reading in general! :D

10. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

I have seven of them,the Bible for part interchange
    O.Hove

11. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

Think I saw that my in-laws still might have had some when they shut down the salvage yard.

12. Zerk

Zerk

I had an edition that went from around '55 to '68, and I learned a great deal from it, sometimes by reading between the lines. For instance, I learned which of the big Chrysler products had full frames and which were unit construction, as the "FRAME" interchange listed only those with separate frame.

The notes on interchanges were particularly interesting...and revealing. The information comes from salvage yard guys, some of them really slick, and some of them really not.

13. big M

big M

I have quite a few of the hard-bound Hollanders, as I am on the old car salvage business. They are an invaluable part of my office here.

---John

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Have them all from the 20's up to the 80's.
    Have a few duplicates that will never leave the library.
    As they were produced locally a fair number show up
    at local swaps. Invaluable parts resource.

15. Mine go from the 1920's up through 1975. I use them a lot. I have a friend who owns a junk yard and he calls me to find parts interchange. He only has the late model ones. I have picked them up at swap meets for around $20.00. I also use a Chevy Parts Number book, a 60-73 Ford Muscle Parts Identifier, and a Holley Carb ID List. Come in pretty handy at swap meets.
    I went to a small swap meet up North a few years ago and found 2 Holley carbs I was interested in because I saw they had Ford part numbers. $40 each. I forgot to bring my stuff to ID the carbs so I went back to my truck about 50 feet away and discovered they were both 428 Cobra Jet carbs. Of course when I went back to buy them they were gone. Duh. Ruined the rest of the day for me.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  16. I have a Hollander that when I need to see a number its way down at the spine where it can't be seen. I also have the Hollander Classic Car book. I also have Ford factory parts books 1962,64 and 73.Come to think of it I have many factory parts books that I use for reference now and then.Since I deal in new and used vintage car parts on the side they are invaluable.

17. metalman

metalman

Several years ago I stopped at an estate sale, they had a few old car parts in the garage. I was pricing out a few things with the deceased's son when he offered to sell me ALL the car parts in the garage for $50. As I was loading the truck he when in the house and came out with a stack of Hollanders, said "here, these go with the car parts". They cover late 20's to early 70's, best estate sale I ever went to, especially since I got probably $100 back from the parts I didn't need at the next swap meet! And yes, I use them all the time.

18. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I got mine online several years ago. They are particularly useful to find parts that were common between economy cars and their more expensive siblings. It has always amazed me how the price for the part varies according to the perceived value of the car.

19. Yep. Managed and worked in salvage yards for half my life. One place I was working at in the early 80s was changing over to a computer system and was going to throw theirs away. A couple of us took them home. I have from about 55 to 74 covered.

20. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I picked up # 27 this spring for about 12$, 51- 60. Sold by George Kuhne of Grimsby, ON
    and has 42$ stamped inside.