Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My Ozzy Chop Adventure!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by slddnmatt, Oct 26, 2013.

1. granite or GRANTED? Nice chops man, a trip of a lifetime!

2. Great adventure! Nice work on both.

3. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Matt...beautiful job on the Merc! That top floooowwws! Nice detail to get the corners of that '51 rear window to tuck down.

That Zepher came out awesome too! I know someone who should get theirs chopped...:D

I dig that dark red '36 coupe at the BBQ!

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Thanks everybody, It was a great experience, and a bonus to get to chop my old merc..I was always worried that who ever cut it didn't destroy a Bitchen merc..I wish I would had another week to work on the Zephyr. You think of a 3 window and you think to yourself, not much roof their. But DAMN those cars are big!! I got some long arms but sometimes they weren't long enough!

5. williebill

williebill

Wow. That's a real tribute to your skills. Both cars look fantastic, and it sounds like you still had time for a helluva vacation with the family. Thanks for posting, now you'll get all kinds of offers for roadtrip vacation chops.

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I forgot to post pics of the little roadster looking thingy!! Sorry!! Anybody know what it is???

Attached Files:

7. midroad

midroad

1946 or47 Morris 8. Common in Australia years ago but rare now. Not impossible to squeeze a small block V8 in there.

8. Yous've got crazy skills. I'm doing the most basic body work. Suck at it.
    There's a neat little book on Morris 8's put out by a fella in Adelaide. I gave a copy to my dad 'coz he had one ( a TOURER) and he smiles every time he remembers the car. I like the Brisbane- built Hope bodied roadster pickups.

stolen off 'net;:eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great work as usual Matt. That's an excellent job on the seldom used and tough to make look right 51 rear glass. How much did you take out of it...

10. JJK

JJK

You're my hero, the proportions of that Zephyr are spot on.

11. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Awesome thread and photos. Amazing skill, Mr. Townsend. Can your return flight come through Chicago for a week? My '51 is about 4 inches too tall!

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

We took 4" out of the A pillar and 5" on the C pillar. Relieved the roof just a smidge. the flow turned out great on it..

13. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Great Chops and great article. Some friends from Queensland just left our place and they related to me the problems and hassles they must go through to import a car to Australia. They have not found any cars to take back this trip but usually do. Australian rules makes ours seem like nothing.

14. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Great job on both cars Matt ! They picked the right guy for the job !

Rob

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Wow, two wonderfully executed chops and you still had some time left for sightseeing.
    You sir, are a ruler

16. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

WOW, great looking adventure :cool:
    I know Paul personally and did see pictures of this chop top you did on his Zephyr from his step Dad Ian Splatt. :D

Do you have more shots of you doing the process of the chop you could share please, in the early stages of the chop. ;)

17. Scratchbuilt

Scratchbuilt

You have some fine skills there man, they both turned out Sweet As mate.

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I actually don't have to many pics at the get go, thats something I kinda always forget to do when I start tearing into it. I get in the "zone" and the camera usually doesn't get picked up until the end of the day. I thought I took more pics of it than what you all have seen. Over a couple of the days I forgot to put the memory card back in and didnt realize it..:rolleyes:

19. indyjps

indyjps

The chop looks great, I'm glad you made it down there to make it happen. I've been to Tazzy 4 times but never the main land, I hope to get back there soon.

20. Great flow on the rear window on the Merc...a lot of '51s are less-than-elegant back there.

Were the '52-'54 wheel lips done before you got there or did you manage to slip that mod in on the deal?

21. Hemiken

Hemiken
    from Australia

I know exactly where you are coming from when getting in the zone buddy :D
    You did a good job and i know Paul would be stoked. ;)

22. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Rich added the fender lips before I arrived. He also installed a beauiful engine out of a 58 caddy

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, what will go down as one of the nicest chopped 51 Mercs with a stock rear window along with the great chop on the Zephyr in such a short period of time. Great work on both of them.

24. elricho

elricho

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone for the kind words-but the biggest thanks of all goes to Matt.
    Not only did he sell me my dream car,but to have him come to Australia and chop it for me was a truly amazing experience!!
    The chop in my opinion is perfect,it flows so well.
    Matt you are a master at what you do-Thanks again mate!!!
    P.S great to catch up with you in L.A the other week!!

25. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Haven't looked at this thread for awhile! Rich it was a blast and thanks for the hospitality and making a dream for the wife come true!!! Any updates? Or concentrating on the A???