Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The one year#5K challenge!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jim1932, Nov 2, 2013.

1. OK first off I expect to get my ass kicked in this….

First time car builders… what can we build in 12 months with $5k?
    Selling of residual parts increases the amount you have to spend. NO REPOP…NO RAT ROD. This is the as a 18 year old in the 40's or 50's could build. I got the idea from a $150 Burns intake I found on craigslist. I want to build an A 4 banger around this one purchase.

Who is in???:D

Is there an east coast event in 12 months that we could target? Good Guys Charlotte?

2. That's gonna be a tough one but not impossible.

The major problem is finding a good complete car to start with,,but I think you can forget the early 30's. cars & trucks.HRP

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do the buy low sell higher parts thing to gather more funds, time consuming but it has been done before . In theory you could ( maybe) build a car for very little , with lots of bartering and loads of luck.

4. Clark

Clark

The race of Gentleman is the beginning of October....the coolest event you could plan for especially with a banger.

Now I'm an optimist and have built several cars on the cheap and quick....999 was built in 6 days on a budget of $999.....

BUT!!! you have a lot going against you. Buying stuff cheap is all about buying it when it comes to you....not when you need it and when you're on a deadline you have no time to wait for deals.

Second...being a first time builder you lack the experience to get it done quick and not make mistakes. Mistakes are OK....they teach us!!

Your first mistake is the banger....not cheap by any means!! Rebuilding one will blow your whole budget! Your only chance is to find a runner...even better find a complete A chassis with a running motor and build around that.

I've always lived by ....if someone says I can't do something ....that makes me want to do it more! Go for it!!
    Clark

5. OK, my goal… maybe unrealistic, is a Model A 4 banger…..
    I may have a head start, I recently bought a "barn" full of parts including transmissions and several motors for $500. I am hoping one of the motors is rebuildable. I am already a grand in with a burns dual intake and two uncle Max 81's…… But that is a Damn good start!

6. Ok this is all new to me but the Race of Gentlemen seems perfect! maybe they can have special class if there are enough of us. Needs to be a judging on the over all car, not just who is fastest though.

7. Clark

Clark

I didn't realize you were challenging others. I wouldn't worry about judging and all that....just doing it is winning!

I'll be building a car for the ROG, a little banger powered roadster or modified. Will be less than $5k for sure.

Hope to see you there
    Clark

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like a great learning experience all around. Good luck with it.

9. Just a good natured challenge to show all the new people it can be done. Not looking to compete against each other at the ROG, just to be recognized would be cool. To be honest. I pulled the numbers out of my butt. just seemed like a good number.

10. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

I sure like your premise. I've seen enough builds with 5000 man-hours and six-figure expenses.
    About the best I've been able to do is eight months, $8000.

11. I think you have to be a real good mechanic and metal man, or a real good scrounger with good luck?

Can you run trucks at the race of gentlemen? Or would that then be the race of redneck? :D (of which I be one)

12. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i did a 33 5 wdw ford for the race of gentlemen this year and we started the build on august 6th and were in jersey on october 3rd but my budget was 10k

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822721

and a little off topic and again twice the budget at or a little above 10k this one was built from may 5th 2012 to july 17th 2012

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799323

now these are much different builds then you are referring to but i posted them here to show that anything is possible with the right amount of "get it done" attitude and the right network of friends for help and parts .

i too am building at least one ROG car for 2014 . one will be a 27 modified with either a banger (i have a line on one) or the 8BA i have here waiting to go in something !! and i have a couple other options as well and may do another car if time permits ! both of these cars will be under the 5k budget you mention and will only have original ford or pre war or early during war aftermarket parts going into them .

i say go for it , get it done, and drive the wheels off it !!

13. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have to agree, If you're thinking classic hot rod, you'll spend at least a year just gathering parts with a 5k budget; and you'll spend tons of time rebuilding and repairing parts that others gave up on. Still, one hell of a fun way to spend 5k.

14. they did something similar to this at the Syracuse Nationals this year it was called the backyard build off not sure of the rules, a buddy of mine is competing this year.

15. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Built this one 2 years ago for 2700 . Asking around and putting the time in to find sweet deals. 5k will build you a nice little rig.

Attached Files: