Register now to get rid of these ads!

El Mirage November 9th-10th, finally gonna make it, 40 years later!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stormin' Norman1, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Geez, the weather is colder than I thought it would be at this time of year.

It didn't even freeze last night at 53 degrees latitude where I live. I'll have to pack the wooly's it sounds like.

Thanks for the info. I saw the weather link on the SCTA website but never paid much attention. I for sure would have come under dressed.

Norm

2. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

Man I need to make it out there one day hopefully soon..
    Have fun please post some pic's

3. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Oh yeah, starting to get excited. All the better when you have some contact with fellow HAMBERS.:)

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

At the November it can get cold in the early hours.
    I'll be there saturday.

5. I'll be there Fri, Sat and Sunday. The weather say it supposed to be nice. 70s day 35 at night!!!!!
    Doug - Look me up I will be in a butt ugly 94 Ford F250 with an Ugly camper on the back. Will be in and around the SDRC area. I will have SDRC "Patrol" stickers on the doors.

6. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

I live in Alberta and am not fond of being cold, so we'll dress for cool temps.
    I want to be walking around checking it all out.

70's good, 35 is a little cool. Big temperature swing.

7. Yup that's the High Desert for ya

8. firingorder1

firingorder1

That's one of the things about here at this time of the year. Today in Riverside it was 82. To drop to 47 tonight and back to 85 tomorrow. Big temp swings are the norm. But you'll still have a great time. Don't get too close to the cars. There's a possibility you could get shanghai'd into being a crewman. A few years ago I lost my crewman and pressed two Swedish tourists into service.

9. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Yeah, been to L.A. before at this time of year but didn't realize there was such an altitude difference at El Mirage. I knew temps are pleasant in L.A. area at this time of year.

Checked your profile to see what that bike is you have. I see you are running a "hack" and is that a Norton single or a Matchless. I had a 500 Norton years ago and also a Triumph 500.

If someone needed a hand it would only add to the vacation.

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

11. firingorder1

firingorder1

12. OK, one day . one day,

13. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

I've been hanging out in the staging lanes to take pics for years and have never had a problem. Guess it just look like I know what I'm doing? :D

14. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Seems odd that the speed limit would only be 25 mph on the start of a long stretch of highway. Probably a trooper sitting a mile down catching spectators trying to set there own land speed records coming off the grounds.:(

15. Mike

Mike

The picture is deceiving,
    That is actually the access road for the lake. It is laced with speedbumps every 200 yards or so. It was all wash board dirt road until afew years ago.

16. Cool story.

Aint no salt, justa buncha dust.

The family might not wanna hang too long.

It's a low-key event. You can get close to everything except them running down the course. Bring some binoculars?

Now I might go.

17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Right....this is not the highway.
    At the end of this road is a BLM office and you'll need topay $15 to access the lake bed. Just follow the guy in front of you but stay to his side so you don't eat his dust. It's several miles to the course o the dirt and on the lake bed and then another mile to the starting area.
    I've been going for 40 years and it's more contained than it used to be but it's not such a mess as it used to be either.
    I remember when we used to go out there and have huge bonfires and shoot rifles, shotguns and pistols while getting shitfaced and BBQing steaks. Glad they don't let guys like me out there anymore. Seriously, we were a hazard to our own health. The common practice of secretly putting large unopened cans of pork & beans in the bonfire and see who would be splattered with the exploding cans was a good laugh about every ten minutes.
    Back 40 years ago it was the "wild west" out there. It's much more civilized today with areas for radio-controlled models, family dirt bike riding, land-sailing, etc.
    Bring water, paper towels, food, etc., cameras, some layers of clothes because it could change 35 degrees in temperature quickly.
    It's a good crowd out there, too. It's laid back and everyone is really friendly and helpful.
    Keep your speeds slow when going by the pits because of dust and there's always a bunch of people on dirt bikes zooming all over, so when I can't tell what direction they are going to go at any second, I just stop until they go around me.
    Courtesy is the key out there just like at Bonneville. When in doubt, yield to the other guy.
    It's great fun out there. I always have a great time.

18. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Interesting engine chioice, but you have the records so it must work well in this application.

An endless highway with speed bumps every 200 yards, now that's a nightmare.:eek:

I was wondering about the salt. Don't see the white coating on the tires like those at Bonneville. Glad to know, and nice to have some knowledge of the area before I arrive.
    Talked to the wife and it's likely now that her and the daughter may stay in San Diego. This may be the way "to live the full experience", with "no motorhomes or hotels" and, "sleep in the dirt", to be more "traditional:D"

Thanks for the tips and good idea with the binoculars.

Sounds like a lot has changed over the years, perhaps for the better.
    I don't know how someone didn't lose an eye in those days, couldn't do that now. Actually I couldn't keep up anymore.
    Thanks for the great info. I'll be an expert and blend right in with all the knowledge that I now have. Likely will come without the family and stay in the car or a tent, just for the "experience".

Norm

19. Norman,
    Are you planning on driving a car to the lakebed? You may want to be prepared for the food situation.

Others,
    It's been a handful of years since I've been there. Is there still a temporary food stand at the race events?

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

yes

21. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

However, it's there for breakfast and lunch, not dinner. Wayno

22. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Maybe I could bring a can of pork 'n beans and throw it in the fire.:D:eek:

23. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

It would be bad form not to invite Mazooma. Wayno

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

HA!,
    Wayno...see you bright and early saturday morning

[​IMG]

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Weekend Forecast

Fri Nov 8

[​IMG] 71<sup>°F</sup>
    35<sup>°F</sup>
    Sunny

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>0%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> WSW at 7 mph </dd></dl>

Sat Nov 9

[​IMG] 67<sup>°</sup>
    34<sup>°</sup>
    Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>0%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> SW at 9 mph </dd></dl>

Sun Nov 10

[​IMG] 65<sup>°</sup>
    33<sup>°</sup>
    Mostly Sunny

<dl><dt>Chance of rain:</dt><dd>10%</dd></dl> <dl><dt>Wind:</dt><dd> SW at 8 mph </dd></dl>

26. jpm49c

jpm49c

Well if all goes as planned the first trip for the Bill (Sparky) Smith's "Wild Weasel a TRUE belly tanker". We just fired up the engine Sunday for the first time..

Attached Files:

27. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Thanks again for the weather info. Looks like good weather. Just busy getting business stuff finished and packing. Flying out tomorrow at 6:00pm for San Diego. Will likely head up to the lake bed early Saturday morning, maybe Friday afternoon. Got the names that replied to the thread be great to meet everyone.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  28. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

29. See you at the Rod Riders BBQ. You can also say Hi in staging. We'll be there for our fastest run yet! ;)

30. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

US TOO! New motor, trans, gearing, my hired rider is injured so I get to run her this weekend:D Its been a long break.
    See you there Tim!