Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sbc flywheel flat spot fix

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by olds vroom, Nov 2, 2013.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

So I've discovered my flywheel has a flat spot and is a real hassle to get to start if it stops on that spot. I'm thinking an easy fix would be to weld that area and cut new teeth in it . Has anyone tried this ? Any other ideas ? I really don't want to have to change it but if I have to I will.

2. kennkat

kennkat

If this is a standard transmission flywheel you can remove the ring gear (cold) and either flip it over or turn it slightly and and put it back on. I have welded and re-ground teeth before.. on the bench not in the car...

3. olds vroom

olds vroom

It's an automatic power glide

4. upspirate

upspirate

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2

Frank

6. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

replace it. easy job

7. olds vroom

olds vroom

Not so easy in this car

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, not all Powerglides are created equal. Think Iron 'Glide, with at torque tube, v.s. a later aluminum 'glide.

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Can you lift the engine and move it forward? It only takes a few inches to replace the flywheel.

If it's a welded ring gear on a flex plate, you could try cutting out a section and welding a different section in from a scrap flywheel if you have enough room to do that.

10. olds vroom

olds vroom

I'll have to try if the weld fix doesn't work

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Sorry , but this has "Darwin Award" written all over it

12. olds vroom

olds vroom

13. upspirate

upspirate

A friend had a flywheel come apart and blow through the roof of his 56 Chev grazing his skull on the way.

Don Gartlets lost half a foot when his clutch exploded cutting the car in half.

Granted these were standard shift flywheels, but how lucky do you feel when revving yours up??:eek:

safety first even if it means more work initially.

14. upspirate

upspirate

I hope I don't come off as cocky or an ass, just want you to have fun and be safe

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If he has a motor that will rev high enough to blow up a flywheel, the torque converter would be more likely to come apart in a cast iron powerglide.

16. cryobug

cryobug

Get some long bolts and replace a few of the bell housing bolts with them, that way you don't have to realign the trans and engine back together. Just slide the transmission back or the engine forward along the bolts. Makes replacing a flex plate a lot faster and easier.

17. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

That should work---the cast iron glide is a heavyweight, though,.

18. olds vroom

olds vroom

Thanks for the safty tip upspirate and cryobug that's a great idea. Thanks

19. silversink

silversink

along with the long bolts , a 2x4 fit inside the frame rails to support the tail shaft when you slide it back

20. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Simplest way to repair the problem is to build up the tooth/teeth with a gas MIG welder, good wire, no HF stuff and trim the tooth/teeth back to spec with a hand held abrasive cut off wheel.
    I have done dozens on the car with no returns or problems.. Even my Blazer beater has it done..:D

21. Replace it. You don't want an unbalanced flywheel by no means.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used that trick many times. You only need enough room to get a ratchet and socket or torque wrench and socket between the crank shaft flange and the torque converter.

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Stop hitting the starter while the engine is running. :)

24. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Thats what I tell customers. I bought the Blazer CHEAP because of the flex plate and a plugged PCV. :D

25. MBog

MBog

This really works, I went as far as to grind a socket down so I didn't have to move everything so far away from each other...

26. fordflambe

fordflambe

Are you sure the flywheel is the complete problem? Chevy starters will deflect away from the flywheel to the point that Chevy installed an additional support bracket on the nose of the starter motor. You should consider installing one of these if you don't currently have one installed. Also, if you have never shimmed the starter, the clearance between starter pinion and flywheel may be just enough that the starter is barely engaging the teeth of the flywheel when you try to start the engine. This will cause pre-mature wear on the flywheel teeth.

I have been able to salvage "bad flywheels" by shimming the starter (to the flywheel) and installing the bracket on the nose of the starter. There may already be a thread here that talks about properly shimming Chevy starters............

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

He's missing teeth on the flywheel. Starter shims, brackets or a quick fix isn't going to help.

28. fordflambe

fordflambe

Regardless, once he has his current problem repaired, he should still consider setting proper clearance and the brace...........just my 2-cents

29. That's why god invented garage music and beer.