Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wanted to find missing Von Dutch striped 51 Mercury glove box door/lid.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 mercules, Nov 1, 2013.

1. 51 mercules

51 mercules

user68578_pic82284_1244428978.jpg user68578_pic82287_1244428978.jpg Wanted to find missing 51 Merc Von Dutch Striped glovebox lid/door.I know its a long shot!A few years ago I acquired a 51 Merc,I found out some of the history of it through the HAMB & 00mack I found out it was owned by Phil Sauers (Surfboards by Phil)surfboards to the stars,it was also owned by Benjamin Abrenillo.I also found out it was styled by Dean Jeffries and the dash was striped by Von Dutch.When I got it was pretty complete,Except it was missing the flathead,bumper guard taillights which Matt Townsend recreated for me.It was also missing the glovebox lid that was striped by Von Dutch.When I talked to Phil Sauer he said he spent the day with Von Dutch and Von Dutch striped the Tree of Life on it.As of yet I don't have any pictures of it.Here are a couple of pictures of the dash now.I know it's a long shot!Any leads or info would be greatly appreciated.I would be willing to buy it back(finders/reward) so it could be put back where it belongs.Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  2. Can't be of help on the glovebox door, but man would love to see more pics on the car.

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I have a bunch of pic's in my profile titled "Merc Barn Find".

4. will check them out ,,, That will be my next car(49-51 Merc.) if I ever sell my 35 Ford 5w.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Wasn't there a dark green Dutch striped glove box door on Ebay a few years back, 2009? Might of even been a discussion of it on here as well but I can't find anything. Seem to remember little stick figure people or something.

6. Good luck, Greg. I hope you find it.
    JimSig

7. Bad thing is it could be hanging on a wall somewere like a bar and no one knows what it is actually is.Lots of luck.

8. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Was thinking the same thing. May well have been a victim of the whole Von Dutch thing going global as a cult trend .
    Hope you have luck finding it as it would be cool to have it back where it belongs.

Paul.

9. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thanks guys!You're probably right that it's hanging on a wall somewhere.My 51 Merc been in so=cal the whole time.I'm hoping it's still in so-cal ,omewhere.

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Talk about a needle in a hay stack!! Ill keep my eyes open Greg!

11. 51 mercules

51 mercules

You're right!It's worth a shot!Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  12. I don't suppose there is a picture of the dash that shows the glovebox in the mag article is there? Would make it easier to identify on someone's wall if there was a pic of what it looked like. Worse case scenario, you could always have it copied. Ron Myers copied the Von Dutch striping of the Hirohata Merc onto my dash. Came out great.

13. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Unfortunatley there is no pic of the dash in the magazine article.I wish there was.

14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

15. You know, here's a funny thing,
    I was watching Devil at Your Feet while eating supper tonight
    and there was a scene in where I believe it was Vern Hammond from the Burbank Choppers
    held up a glove box door that was on a shelf, color and style of striping looked very similar.
    just sayin'

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

17. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I'll have to get that dvd and check it out.Thanks!

18. Here's a crappy cell phone picture of that scene.
    I'm not convinced it's it, top corners seem too square for one thing.
    Sorry

Attached Files:

19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

No prob!Thanks for posting the pic!

20. Vern's on the HAMB. Send him a PM and ask him about it.

21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thanks!What does he go by on here!

36 Master deluxe likes this.
  22. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

24. Any news on the glove box door yet. Sure would be great if this it. Really needs to be back on that Merc. Hope things work out well

25. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Thank you.No news yet!

26. Model T1

Model T1

Good luck. Anything is possible. Another fairy tale---- Reminds me of when I bought my 1946 Mercury coupe minus right tail lite and the glove box door. Everywhere I checked I was told I'll never find the glove box door. That spring we made our regular trip back to central Illinois to visit from here in Florida. My friend and his wife we went to high school with has several old Fords and Mercurys. 39 Merc convertable, 40 Merc 4-dr, 46 Ford convertable, and more junk. I remembered the 47 Mercury 4-door that was sitting behind his pole barn for years with a real MMII added. Damned, when I asked Jim said he'd sold it to another friend who still sells at swap meets. Quick phone call and off we were 25 miles north to Peoria to see what was left. Body and running gear gone. Wife joked and handed me $100, telling me not to spend it all. Got my right tail light complete plus two NOS lenses in boxes! Dug deeper in the old Ford van used for storage. The glove box was there, minus the Mercury script. Oh well. It was gonna be a mild custom anyway. Dug deeper yet. Wrapped in bubble wrap was the chrome back piece and the Merc script in mint condition! Picked up several other little parts plus all of the 47 Merc 4-door stainless trim and figured it would take the $100 bill. Trim was free so I took it. Something like $50 total! On the way home I joked with Jim I still had $50 left for car parts. Few days later we went back to look around. I ended up with hood, floor boards, dash and junky instruments, rear side tip out windows which also fit coupe, Both bumpers with the wing tips and center guards, etc. Good only as cores. Plus enough other 47 Merc crap to fill my Chevy van. $50! We couldn't sleep in it on the way home! Just proves don't give up. Someone has just what you need. If you find photos of that glove box and another lid you can have it duplicated, or close.

27. dmac620

dmac620

Doesn't look like Verne has logged on since May of this year. You may want to send him an email through his profile. If he doesn't log in he won't see your PM.

28. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Good Idea.Thanks!

29. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I thought I would try here!I found out the history of my merc here.You never know!

30. Model T1

Model T1

It's always interesting reading about the history of cars. Thanks.