Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone have photos of a stock 32 with 16" wheels?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jim1932, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Thinking of putting 16" wheels on my 32 Tudor with a stock suspension. I don't have one to mock up with. does it look OK?

2. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Jim,

I know your asking about 16s, but if you look at my avatar on the Barn, those are 17s on the Woodie.

3. I have line on 17 wires. I am partial to Artilleries.

4. Jim,

I wouldn't go 17, hold out or 18 or go 16. My preference would be 16 inch Kelsey's. Remember 600X16 will probably be too big for your fender well. You will have to let some air out and carry a tire pump. Has anyone tried 550X16 or 500X16 in the wells?

Charlie Stephens

5. Sorry, didn't mean to say I would run the 17" just that I knew where some were. I definitely think the 16's would be the way to go. Surprised that there may be clearance issues. I see them on lowered Deuces all the time. No idea what width though.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Charlie is talking about the welled fenders for your spare. I've seem hundreds of '32s with large tires on 16 inch wheels, and there is NO clearance problem until you lower it a lot.

Look on the Arizona Deuce Day threads for pics of a tan sedan. Mostly stock with 16 inch wires. I think all '32s that have a non-stock wheel look goofy unless they are lowered.

7. Hows this?

Tim's car has 16's HRP

[​IMG]

8. I don't have a fender spare, just the one on the back. Trying to go traditional which is?? "wide 5's"?

9. That is not a lowered front axle????

10. Yeah,I guess I missed that part of the post,,you probably need to ask this question on the Ford Barn. HRP

11. alchemy

alchemy

The stock 18" wires kinda fill up the wheelwells. When you switch to 16"ers there will be more space around the tire. If the car was already high as a stocker, it will look even more like a 4x4 now. Are you a hot rodder or a restorer? Put in some reversed eye springs and a dropped front axle.

Here's a not-overly-lowered '32 tudor with 16" wheels:

Attached Files:

12. pumpman

pumpman

Don't know if this will help, it's a roadster but this is what it looked like on the stock running gear before I changed it. 650x16 front and 890x16 rear.

Attached Files:

13. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

Here is an old more door I had with stock suspension and 16x4. The stock springs really needed to be re arched but it's gives you an idea.
    Jim

Attached Files:

14. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

Another angle

Attached Files:

15. R Pope

R Pope

FYI, most 16" wires were sold to re-equip pre-'35 Fords with tires that were more available up into the Forties and even later. There are way more sets of 16" wires than there ever were actual '35 Fords.

16. guffey

guffey

DSC03821.JPG

40 spoke Kelseys

17. Seems like it would depend on the height of the sidewall. I am kinda threading the line between hotrod and restored. Mainly looking to put a more modern looking tire rather than the skinny stock ones. I really looking for bolt on rather than messing with the suspension.