Register now to get rid of these ads!

NO 3 x 2 DEUCE INTAKES FOR GEN2 SMALL BLOCK CHEVY'S! WHY? NEED HELP SBC EXPERTS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRENT, Nov 2, 2013.

1. BRENT

BRENT

Hey Guys, I'm about to embark on installing a (I think) a GEN2 SBC (came out of a 1992 or 94 full size GMC pick-up SBC motor in my shoebox. The question I have is I would love to put a 3 deuce intake with some 94's but I'm spooked about ordering a intake because they seem to cut off at the 88 year...why won't it not fit the newer motors?

Is it due to the angle of the heads? If so I have a set of .202 heads from a 1969 SBC will these work and bolt up to the newer block and fix the problem? allowing me to run the 3 deuce? Or is the all a bad illusion and nothing is different from the older 1955 to 1988 GEN1 version

Need your help SBC experts

Thanks guys

Brent

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

3. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

My bad, I didn't read your post closely enough. Vortecs started in '96. Wish I had an answer for you

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. BRENT

BRENT

No problem man I'm just as confused too. I seen those as well. It just seems like a real grey area between those years and was wondering if anybody could shed some light.

I appreciate your help though, thanks

Brent

5. sloppy_J

sloppy_J

The angle of the 2 center bolts are the difference. One is at an angle and the other is 90°. I have seen people drill the holes out on the manifold to make them fit. Dont know 1st hand how well that works..
    The early heads will bolt up and will likely perform better than the tbi heads. Vortec heads will not accept earlier intake manifolds, the bolt locations are different.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  6. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

You would have to either run the earlier SBC heads or keep the heads that came on the '94 and modify the center bolt holes of the intake like sloppy j said. Is the engine a 305 or a 350? If it's a 305, I don't think the 2.02 valves from the early heads will clear the bores. I would recommend going with Rochester's on an SBC tri power, but if you're dead set on 94's, they will work. The Rochester is more at home on a GM engine. If you're wanting to use the 94's because they look vintage, you gotta remember you've got accessory bolt holes on both sets of heads and potentially center-bolt valve covers....94's may look a little out of place.

7. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

If you swap heads, be careful of the combustion chamber sizes. If they're different, this will change your compression ratio, which may or may not be a good thing!