Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flashback '57 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bdamfino, Sep 17, 2008.

1. krupanut

krupanut

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383346006.279291.jpg
    It lives! Runs really good too. Just turn the key, don't even have to touch the gas.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. krupanut

krupanut

Brizio is sending the last of the smooth knock offs God bless him!
    I'll tell y'all the low down of the car and it's condition when I can sit at a keyboard. It makes more seance when you get the whole story.

3. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Great news on the knockoff. Can't wait to hear the ol girls tale. Thanks for posting krup.

4. krupanut

krupanut

Okay guys here's the short version.
    The owners Dad bought the car from the fellow that won in back in 83 and drove it.
    drove it allot!
    Some time years ago he took it to Gary Howard to fix some rust issues it was having and took it home in primer I believe fully planing on repainting once the funds were collected.
    He unfortunately became ill and the car took a back seat to life. After he passed away the car had been almost forgotten until his son found it in a storage building on their ranch.
    The son has an emotional attachment to the car in its present condition because this is the way he remembers riding in it with his Pops when he was young.
    I can understand that.

It runs like a bat outta hell by the way! pulls HARD! and gets driven...allot.
    It was a pleasure to work on.

5. krupanut

krupanut

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383868431.055239.jpg

Just Gary and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Great retirement home for it.

7. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Glad to hear the current caretaker uses and really cares about the car. Thanks again krupa for shareing and posting. Hope this ain't the last we hear about the ole girl.

8. Hope he comes around to going back to orange at some point. Maybe show him the original build article in HRM?

9. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

18 - Copy.jpg
    Best I could do with what I got.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Zuber

Zuber
    from Poconos

A few more from the past.....

Attached Files:

Just Gary likes this.
  11. Always loved the painted upper grill bar.

12. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Never seen the program or the first pic. Gorgeous! Thanks for posting.
    Might wanna do an intro.... some folks mite fuss. Welcome aboard Zuber.

13. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

I never was big on the painted upper bar. That said, this car wouldn't be the same without it.

14. Zuber

Zuber
    from Poconos

The fist photo was just cut from the program image, but it is at a different angle than the June 84 issue. Here is the cover of the 1984 Super Nationals program. I was at a local car show and while the wife and daughter were checking out some crafts there was a guy selling old magazines and found it in his pile.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for the welcome. Always loved old cars since I was a kid. Had no time for them while my wife and me raised our kids. Now they are in High School so I have a little free time on my hands and getting back into this hobby. Have a 67 chevelle that I owned for the past 20 years, restoring on a 64 Chevelle SS conv now and have a 57 chevy lined up for the next project. <o:p></o:p>

Attached Files:

15. Zuber

Zuber
    from Poconos

Attached the wrong file, here is the correct one....

Attached Files:

16. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

Hey Guys - I am pleased to announce that I am the new owner of the Flashback ‘57! At this point, I have done nothing to the car, I’m about to order tires. I am experienced with model A’s and 32’s but not with anything with such a big body. Trying to come up with a plan for the car, all thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Attached Files:

17. Congrats! But man, that poor car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would take it back to magazine condition and enjoy it.

18. Taking it back to the way it was built would be the best thing for it. It's special because it was a magazine build, and a super cool one. It's not like you ended up with the Green Machine '55. HRM did such a nice job, how would you improve it? Possibly a chrome hood bar. Sorry, to a '57 geek the painted chrome bar screams '80's monochrome! I remember the article stating an onlooker commented there wasn't any black paint on it anywhere.
    Attention to detail made the car a real standout.
    So happy it lives!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  19. Anderson

Anderson

This is not a car I had seen before, but man I certainly see a lot of things I am sure inspired my dad when he was building my ‘57.

From what it looks like…other than louvers, wheels/tires, and some engine work, this thing is a stock ‘57?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    chevy57dude likes this.
  20. Filled hood bullets

Just Gary likes this.
  21. Zuber

Zuber
    from Poconos

Hi ATX,
    Keep us posted on your progress. This car is so cool. Would love to see more photos please.

Just Gary likes this.
  22. a bloke

a bloke

I remember seeing that car in HRM at the time, and thinking it was really clean. I like the filled hood.
    Let us know how it's going.

Just Gary likes this.
  23. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd sure like to see or hear of some updates on this one too. I remember when Hot Rod was doing the build, still have every issue of that build around here somewhere. The only thing that missed the mark on that build, in my eye's, is the grille bar and the painted hoodbar and fender extension's, but I'd still own it if I had the chance! Nice car, and it's still sportin' the dual quad's!!! :cool:

lumpy 63 and Just Gary like this.
  24. ATX

ATX
    from Austin, TX

Hey Guys - I’m thinking about selling the flashback ‘57. Would trade for ford hot rod, project or not. If anyone is interested make me an offer or come check it out.

25. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, I was just a bit late.

26. willishotrods

willishotrods

Well thanks to my new friend ATX I’ve become the new owner of the Flashback 57. I’ve always been a 57 Chevy guy and have several so this car fits my collection perfectly. I remember the build of it well. I’m currently tracking the car’s history for all these decades and will have much more to share.

Attached Files:

loudbang, wheeldog57, SS327 and 5 others like this.
  27. willishotrods

willishotrods

Some of the cars ink

Attached Files:

Deuces, SS327, chevy57dude and 3 others like this.
  28. CONGRATULATIONS!
    Its traditional theme (lots of chrome, HP and a stock-ish interior) was a refreshing change from monochrome, pastel colors and tweed interiors of the time.
    What are your plans for it?

chevy57dude, 427 sleeper and Sharpone like this.
  29. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a KILLER score!!!
    I still have every issue of the build that Hot Rod did! Love It!!! :cool:

Just Gary and chevy57dude like this.
  30. I'm kinda digging the primer.
    How about ''Flashblack''?

427 sleeper likes this.