Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 348/409 thoughts? memories? like? dislike?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wombat barf, Oct 24, 2013.

1. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

kinda like flat heads

Sent from my DROID RAZR using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. :eek:

3. oldskooljc

oldskooljc
    from Fresno CA.

LOVE mine just picked it up this winter. It came withe a pretty cool Rpu also. I am a converted nailhead fan so much that I am looking for another one put in my street driven Rpu. jim

Attached Files:

4. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Most of them wher boat anchors but man oh man some were verv fast but you cant keep rods in them

5. Larry T

Larry T

I don't think you have much trouble with rods now days ------ better rods and LOTS lighter pistons.

And they can make lots of horsepower for boat anchors.

6. Tom Kochtanek

Tom Kochtanek

Big Mac comments: "Interesting thread. I have a 348 tri power motor that needs rebuilt. I also have access to some 409 heads and have heard there's a good stroker combo you can build from the two. Is the intake manifold different on a 348 from a 409? I would love to put the 348 in a future roadster/coupe project. Any build tips/suggestions?"

Check to see if your heads on that tripower are the 1147s, they were the performance cylinder heads for the 348. When the 409s came into full production in 1962 (not counting the very rare 1961 409s) the cylinder heads were improved in terms of performance (I speak of the 690 castings, and later the 583 casting of 1964-5). The most commonly found heads are the so called "truck heads" with the 333 castings. They can be modified for performance and are readily available (people really did use them as door stops when prices were lower). The 333 heads run around $100 - $200 per pair, while the 690s and 583s are more like $1500 - $2000 bare. For that price you can purchase aluminum Edelbrocks with full valves and springs.

Want to wake up that 348? Slip in a 409 crank, use BBC connecting rods (off the shelf) and custom pistons. Great bottom end. Give it a good set of breathing heads and a performance intake and you can get 400 horses on up depending on your wallet.
    Call it a cheap stroker setup! No grinding required.

Have fun with your build!

Tom

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

had a 63 ss 409 when I was in the marine corps 1966 yeeah im an old guy. liked the looks of the engine but wasn't real impressed with the performance. sold it when I went to Vietnam and when I got back I bought a hemi super bee dodge,. that car impressed me

8. TV

TV

I remember when I was just out of high school and was working at an upolstury shop, and a friend came by to show me his new 409/ 4 speed chevy, he took me for a ride and scared the sheet out of me. I can remember the telephone poles going buy like a picket fence. i wnted one of those so bad I could tast it. --TV

9. Tom Kochtanek

Tom Kochtanek

The Sun was out today, so I took the '62 SS out for a spin. She has had the "Beach Boy" options (four speed, dual quad, positraction 409) transplanted into her engine bay. Runs strong. I try to take her out every day that the weather complies. She has a "sister car" parked next to her, a 1962 Belair 2 door sedan, that also has the dual quad 409 setup. Main difference is this one has the Turbo 350 automatic. Both sound great, are very reliable, and are fun to drive. I prefer the four speed version, but my knees appreciate the automatic. Both are 3.36 rear ends, so they're mostly cruisers.

I like 'em enough to want another one! My current project in waiting is a 1961 Belair Sport Coupe (2 door "bubbletop") that has a stroked 348 awaiting it's restoration. Used the 409 crank with some BBC rods and .060" over custom Ross pistons. 380 cubes of fun, I hope! Vehicle was born with a 348 3 speed, but this engine is not the original. Should be fun if I can afford to front for the restoration.

Enjoy!
    Tom

Attached Files:

10. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

Only thing vs. the more common motors is that they were only produced for 8 years and in never in really large quantities (unlike other early big blocks like nailheads, big block Pontiacs and FE Fords). This means cores are tough to come by and therefore expensive. 409's are through the roof and 348's in useful condition are going up fast. This seems to be getting worse as renewed interest in these motors has resulted in the production of great new pieces like the Edelbrock aluminum heads and all the stuff from Lamar Walden.

You can't just throw one together for a couple hundred like an SBC - so you may as well build it right and that can get expensive. Summit sells a re-ring kit for Chevy 350 for $85 (rings, bearings, gasket set). I paid $120 for the gasket set for my W motor.

On the other hand, there probably isn't a more visually impressive motor for a hoodless car this side of an early hemi.

Here's mine - .40 over 348 block, 396 BBC forged crank w/mains turned to fit (3.76 stroke) 409.5 cubic inches -----forged rods, custom forged pistons 10:1, custom cam grind, oversize ss valves, new springs, guides, screw in studs, guideplates, roller rockers, etc, etc.

I probably put more money in this motor than all the smallblocks I built over the last 40 years combined. It was nice to do it right for once and to know it was worth it because I have something unique that will be a source of pride for years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  11. SycoSteve

SycoSteve

my 348 going in my Merc.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

12. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

My first experience with one was my buddy had a 59 Impala convertible with one in it in 69 (I know it didn't come with a 409) He gave me the motor to put inmy 59 Anglia that I had put a sub frame and axle in,my father wouldn't let me put it in because he called it a boat anchor.I think he was more afraid of me having a running motor in the car.I was only 15.Then in 73 another good friend of mine was going in the Marines and gave me his immaculate red on red 63 ss 409 340 horse 4 speed Impala.It needed a clutch disc,back then I had a 62 nova with a 350 4 speed that would blow the doors off it,and I was a simpler person (1 car) well anyway it was at his brother's house and he went in to the service, his brother would call and ask when I was coming for it,well one day I said to my buddy that was giving me the other 409 we need to go pick that up Jack is getting stale. Well we finally get around to going there and as we were coming down the block I could see his driveway and the car was gone.He got tired of waiting sold it for $175. I now have a 348 and a 62 409 QB motor I may put one in my 55 I also have a 61 Bubble Top which may get one.I am thinking of boring and stroking the 348 to 427 inches we'll see.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013