Register now to get rid of these ads!

oil around spark plugs flat head

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hardlucktattoo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

I have a 50 Chrysler Windsor I have some oil around 3 of the plugs the others looks good and dry what causes this and can it be fixed thanks and help would be awesome

2. daddio211

daddio211

3. I guarantee that it didn't come out past the sparkplug. (if the plug is tight) Someone probably poured oil in the recess around the plug by accident, or they were trying to keep the plugs from seizing in the holes, and ran out of oil before they got some in all the recesses.

4. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

I just replaced the plugs and after a hour of running the motor I see some oil mainly around the back plug but all have some almost like its being blown out around the plug

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

Any more suggestions

6. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

OK question I have to ask, does the motor smoke while running? if oil coming up thru the plug, than smoke has to coming out the pipes! Now maybe you have something else above the head that is leaking? Is the oil filter above the head?

7. Possible wrong type of sparkplugs?..tapered seat vs washer type?
    Not familar with a '50 Chrysler flathead, but maybe someone else can chime in on what it should have.

8. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

No other leaks alittle smoke when first started but that's it

9. 35desoto

35desoto

The type of plug that should be in the engine is a J series champion or equivalent. 40FORDPU asks a good question - these engines should have a short reach flat washer type of sparkplug - any taper seat plug will not seal properly. Oil coming out of the engine to the sparkplug area is a sign there is wear in the engine and there is oil in the combustion chamber which under pressure is leaking out. Its not a terminal condition but one that indicates the engine has wear and will eventually need a rebuild. I've seen them in this condition run for ages so there is no immediate need to panic

10. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

cool ill do a search and see if i can find a part number its hard enough finding parts for this car and most of these fools at the auto parts stores dont know what im talking about when i say a 50 lol

11. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I too have a 1950 windsor and I feel your pain about calling a parts store. When I get home tonight I will take a few pictures of the spark plugs in mine. I agree that there should be no oil coming up around the spark plugs, as there is no oil in the combustion chamber with the exception of a trace amount of oil from the piston rings. Any more oil than that, especially seeping up around the spark plug threads tells me you have some internal parts that are worn.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

In the offending cylinders have the plug threads been helicoiled?

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How did the plugs look that you took out? Were they soaked with oil? If they were you could have a real bad oil burner. High mileage Chrysler flatheads are prone to breaking pistons. You might not know it unless you do a compression test, they will continue running and not even make any noise.

Check the plugs for oil and do a compression test. "perfect" compression is 120 PSI but over 90 is acceptable. If compression is low squirt some oil down the cylidner, if compression comes up you have bad rings, if not you have a bad valve or broken piston.

14. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

According to the Champion site you should have RJ12C plugs.

oldbanger71 likes this.
  15. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

rings are shot .

16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It doesn't really matter if the engine is pushing oil, it shouldn't come out around the spark plugs. The plugs aren't sealing correctly. I've seen it in Continental flatheads. The washer on the plug should seal against the flat surface of the head around the thread. Because the plugs sit in a hole, there is often dirt around them that should be cleaned out with compressed air before removing the plugs or it can get into the seat area preventing the plug from sealing. Rust buildup can also cause sealing problems.

You would have to remove the plug to look at the seals on the plug and the seats in the head. Below is a link to the Time-Sert site with a video showing how the seats are cut. They have a set to recondition the seats without installing a thread insert but I don't know if they have the correct size for those plugs. You could call them with the plug number.

http://www.timesert.com/html/howtosp.html

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

18. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

The more damage / wear you have on the cylinder wall or rings the less compression you will have. So the less chance you would ever have of pushing anything out around the plug threads. If you think this is a internal problem, how much oil do you think you will be pushing out once you fix it and the compression is higher???? It has to be either the wrong type plug or the threads are messed up. Think about it. JC

19. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

I'm the 2nd owner of the car motor only has 60k it runs smooth no knocking or ticking I think the plugs I pulled off the car was the one that came in the motor only 3 have oil coming out not standing oil just wet looking I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Take the plugs out and look at them. If you don't know what black greasy oil looks like and feels like, post a picture.

They should be dry and colored tan or brown unless they are new. In which case they will be white.

If they are soaked in gas or oil it is a bad sign.

21. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

I'll post a pic in the morning

22. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

[​IMG]
    This is what I got

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've seen oil wells that didn't pump that much oil!!!!!!!!! You've got an engine job to do!!!!

24. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

I think the car has run for a hour in the past 5 years I should have it where I can drive it soon I'm gonna see of it clear up some if not I think I'm gonna have to see how much a rebuild is

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

That sure looks like oil to me. You definitely have a problem. How is the oil on the dip stick? There is just a chance someone put in a few gallons too much. Does the oil or spark plug smell like gas?

26. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Try add ing a qt. of Marvel Mystery oil to the pan and get a few hunderd miles on it and see what you got. sounds like some stuck oil rings.

27. Diavolo

Diavolo

I was going to say MMO as well. Since it's not been run very much for a very long time I would hold off on making any judgement calls with regard to major work. Get it running, run something like Marvel in it and drive it enough to shake the cobwebs out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this little oil problem resolved itself once the engine had a chance to get a few long heat cycles thru it.

28. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

I changed the oil today it had the factory oil filter and of course the oil was black only time the car ran was onto trailer and off with that old oil I'll go pick up some mmo tomorrow

29. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

When adding the mmo should I drain some oil out before adding it

30. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

No not really I got this car from its og owner it has never had a oil change I'm guessing unless the dealer did it