Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Dumbass numbers question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jim1932, Oct 31, 2013.

1. OK… been wondering on this for a while… how do you decipher the numbers on the side of a hot rod? I am thinking the number Id's the car and the letters are the class?

Attached Files:

2. chromeazone

chromeazone

I would say yes, but too many tracks, strips and hot rod organizations to have commonality for determining anything!! They could mean anything from birthdays to girl friend's bust size!

3. I guess the question goes to the guys with numbers on the car. Are they historical? or likE "32 B" for a deuce

4. squirrel

squirrel

depends on the car....and what type of racing it did, or is trying to look like it did.

You can look up the classes for current land speed racing cars here

5. metal man

metal man

This is NHRA from 1959

Maybe someone else can make the image larger. I don't know how, but if you click on it a couple of times you can read it.

Attached Files:

6. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    are these the dumbass numbers you speak of

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not sure about the XF but the GR would be for gas roadster.

8. PLEASE!!!! I did NOT say dumbass numbers….I twas a dumbass QUESTIOn for me not knowing what they meant. I am not criticizing anyone for putting them on, wanting to understand them in case I wanted to put them on.

9. metal man

metal man

HaHa, I would have never even thought of it that way. I think you were very clear about it, and Steve was joking.

10. OK so put up…. what does the C/G 777 mean? :D

11. metal man

metal man

C/G = C gas . Which was 11 to 12.99 pounds per cubic inch.

12. So did they weigh the car? how did they know the LB's pr inch?

13. metal man

metal man

They weighed the car, and measured the bore and stroke.

14. XF is flathead Ford in SCTA. So the roadster in your picture is in the flathead powered gas roadster class.
    I think the "B" is from the old days when the size of the engines was from A to D, with D being the biggest.
    I hope this helps you.:)
    Lars

15. So where does the number come in? Were you assigned a number that was the same at every event? I know when I raced in the 70's they used shoe polish to put the number and class on the window but you got a new number every week,

16. squirrel

squirrel

depends on where you're racing. Land speed racing numbers usually stay with the car. Drag racing numbers used to change every weekend. Now they stay the same in some places, but change at others.

17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

At Bonneville the letters refer to engine displacement.

AA 501+ ci
    A 500-440
    B 439-373
    C 372-306
    D 305-261
    E 260-184
    F 183-123
    G 122-93
    H 92-62
    I 61-46
    J 45-31
    K 30.5-under

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah come on now, it' pretty lame to shoe polish numbers on your car when you go to Bonneville in a car that is obviously not a race car so people will take photos of it.

Speed Gems pretty well nailed it on the class thing.

These days though it seems the "thing to do", for the poser crowd is to paint numbers on your rod when you go to Bonneville so people might think you have a "real" race car.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

For any modern number, like a current Bonneville car, you need the appropriate rulebook.
    For a number based on nostalgia, you need to decide on a year and find either the rulebook or reasonably similar cars in ancient magazines.
    Class breaks changed frequently (remember, through the '50's and '60's bigger and bigger displacements were becoming available), obsolete engines got separate designations, and less frequently equipment rules changed. Don't just copy anything current you see...there are many highly incorrect cars classed as gassers, etc.

20. That is right, but they used to be:
    A Class....0-150 Cui
    B Class....150-250 Cui
    C Class....250-350 Cui
    D Class....350 Cui & over
    Lars

21. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

For the particular car you have pictured those are the numbers and class when it was run at Bonneville. Car was driven from upstate NY then transformed to meet safety requirements (roll bar cage installed), run on the flats, transformed back and driven home! Yes it is a "Bones' car", flathead power! I have had the privilege to ride in it and drive it on the way to Bville '12. The rest of above info should answer general questions.

22. But the "B" must refer to the old engine class system. I doubt that it has a flathead with 439-373 cui. Thats a pretty big flathead.
    Lars

23. It is always a learning experience. I was assuming drag race numbers, most responses are speed run numbers.