Register now to get rid of these ads!

Misconceptions of old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, May 16, 2011.

1. 117harv

117harv

Sadly this is the mentality of some, if it's old or has less than perfect paint it's just so much junk:cool::(

Attached Files:

2. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

door slamming, #1 here as well. I've had two passenger side door windows cracked from "slammers"

3. Joatha

Joatha

I would take that as a serious compliment.

Stolen shamelessly from some Georgia Tech history....
    The expression has its origins in the late 19th century and was used originally to refer to the makeshift motorized vehicles constructed by Georgia Tech engineers employed in projects in the jungles of South America.<SUP> </SUP>The Wrecks were constructed from whatever the engineers could find—mostly old tractor and automotive parts—and were kept running by the engineers' ingenuity and creativity. Other workers in the area began to refer to these vehicles and the men who drove them as "Rambling Wrecks from Georgia Tech."

Signed
    A Ramblin Wreck from Georgia Tech (class of 91)

PS My 1930 Model A Sport Coupe is going to be a hot rod version of the real Ramblin Wreck car.

4. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

Our 1957 F100 has a 1969 "429" in it. Get asked all the time.."Why would you put such a big engine in it?" Then they try to slam the doors!!!! Geezzzzzzzzz

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

How about that when you park a couple next to your garage, you are abandoning them, or otherwise creating a junk yard. Thats the claim one of my neighbors made to the city regarding my '52 and '59 Studebakers.

...when I recieved the notice, I just fired up both (legal and fully papered) cars, drove them around the block and parked them on the street in front of the house. So now instead of only having to see them when she goes down the alleyway, she can look at them every moring when she walks out to her piece of shit Kia.

6. hoodprop

hoodprop

Do you have a hood for it.

7. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Both the '52 sedan, and '59 Truck are complete and operational, to include hoods.

...but the truck could use a new hood since the front lower edge has some rust through and someone in the past got rid of some bracing, so it's a bit wobbly when you open it.

8. Putputboom

Putputboom
    from Fresno

I absolutely hate when people slam my doors and have two shattered windows on my 1950 fordor to prove it. Another one I hate is when people ask when I am going to put new rims and tires on it. That being said I have brand new red steelies and firestone whitewall biasplys that cost more than the whole car.

9. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

As stated here many times... People are always giving advice and comments on old cars. They also seem to do it to old people. I have recently taken to telling them that as soon as I turn 65 that I am going to start drinking and smoking

They just do not know how to respond to that one.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Man, maybe it's because my 55 Chevrolet wagon is painted, but I never get ragged on. Most people just smile when they walk past, sometimes with a "nice car" added on.

I shot the last person that slammed my doors, cleared up that problem right away!

Ha!

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yes,some do slam doors,or worse,fling them open against the door check.
    But,in my opinion,some of you have shitty attitudes like every person is supposed to be an expert on cars.People ask me dumb questions and I try to give them answers they can understand.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That old Dale Krutz cartoon still sends shivers up my spine! The last two cars I have had hit (the Falcon wagon and the Plymouth) have BOTH been by septuagenarian female drivers in P.T. Cruisers, who BOTH without skipping a beat said exactly THAT!!!

13. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I have heard "you ruined that" "it would of been worth a lot of money if you restored it" and my personal favorite with my rusty 46 chevy truck that really doesnt have a good piece of sheetmetal on it "I cant believe you aren't restoring that truck" I had it lettered a few years ago with the shop logo and it gets more attention out front of the shop than it ever would with shiny paint.

14. Pretty ironic for the guy called HOODPROP :D

15. 72Gremlin

72Gremlin
    from Illinois

cool!!

16. The gas mileage comments get me the most. My 47 gets better gas mileage with a 4bbl 340 than my 2002 Dodge ram with a little 3.7 v6.

17. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I do buy new cars when I need a car, but I then drive them until they are worn out . But it always cracks me up when I'm at the pump filling up my well worn Focus when someone pulls up in their $40,000 SUV , puts in $5 worth of gas then leaves.

18. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I'm amazed by the gas mileage comments I get from people, my 66 Tbird with a 390 in it gets better gas mileage than my wifes Buick Rendezvous with a v6. As far as reliability I would rather have an old car than a new one, at least when something goes wrong in an old car its obvious what the problem is or will let you know something is up before it totally breaks, it seems with new cars the check engine light comes on and then suddenly the whole car blows up requiring a massive amount of dealer specific tools to repair it.

19. ^^ Gas milage comments are the best. "What kinda mileage does it get?" I always answer: "I get 25 smiles per gallon" Then I get the dumb look.

If I wanted gas mileage I would drive some cookie cutter POS from overseas. I drive an antique because it's fun!

20. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

When the conversation turns to golf I usually tell em "I'm not old enough for golf" (I'm 64). A lot of awkward looks since I'm usually 10-20 years older than them.

And I did try to keep my stick on the ice growing up in Detroit. Coach would yell "keep your stick on the ice, your not waving a flag out there".

21. 59 brook

59 brook

gas mileage questions all the time and they are shocked that my big ol pig gets what there suv is getting or better . and the greatest one is " my buddy had one and anything over 80 and the rear would lift off the ground. trust me it just don't lift

22. junk

junk

I love it that if you don't have shiny paint it's automatically a "Rat Rod". Drives me nuts. Can't a person drive a project?

23. 327Eric

327Eric

Mostly I get the greenies commenting on it being bad for the environment. I explain that much of my car has come from other cars, which are most likely off the road, and that by repairing my older car, no matter what the mileage it gets , it will never emit more pollutants or use more energy than what was used to crush the donor steel or car, process, ship, melt, remanufacture,rebuild, and reship the components that make up their new Prius, and that in the grand scheme of things, my old car is more environmentally friendly than their hybrid. I also walk to work, so my old car puts out less pollution in a year, than their prius does in week. ( I don't drive it enough, my bad)

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Racing, Hot Rods, Old Cars, The "Car Hobby" is like many things in life. You Get It OR you Don't. I Gave up trying to explain or justify my passion years ago to anybody that does not understand it and the silly questions will always be there, I just smile and nod. John

25. Very true! I don't care what people think, I don't expect everyone to be knowledgeable about cars. I don't see any reason to be a jerk to people in general. As for stupid comments and rude behavior, I've seen and heard plenty of that from the car community over the years!

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I get the same damn thing frequently with my cars. I have run completely out of patience with these folks! I was rolling up Central the other day In the "Bucket of Ugly" when a wimpy lookin' twenty something shouted at me "Does that thing pass emissions?" I replied "who cares". HE apparently cared ALOT!!! I drove almost six miles out of my way to stay right of his door and dump it in neutral every few blocks to let my open pipes ring right in his window. You'll never educate these idiots, but they are easy as hell to annoy!

27. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

I'm not as old as some of the guys on here. I'm 30 I grew up around alot of my dads old timer buddy's. I learned real quick that if you slammed a door on their cars your ass walked home. No joke.

As far as the dependability of these cars my 59 is all original I drive it almost daily. It gets 22 mpg. And I haven't broke down in over 2 years. Knock on wood. Earlier this year a few of my buddy's and I decided to attend lone star round up. We drove a 56 Chevy and 48 Chevy coupe from Ontario cal to Austin Texas made it there and back. So if that's not dependable i don't know what is.

28. SherrillHotrods

SherrillHotrods

Im agreeing with 1954fordkustom I also am part of this later gen of car builders im 29 and and my heart is set on how those older guys did things some people back in the day jus had to make due with what they had so their cars had to be dependable cuz thats all they had. If it weren't for the early gen guys us younger guys wouldnt have anyone to look up too. I have a 52 Chevy 3100 runs all day everyday all original except the motor it has a later in line 6 cyl. But I belive ruins the real builders from the hobbyists is hotrodding is everywhere these days too many tv shows making it look easy and now tom dick and harry are throwing these "rat rods" together and thinking there nice machines till they sell it and the next person who huys it crashes it cuz it wont stop or frame breaks.

Attached Files:

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I laughed my ass off at your response and agree with you 100%!:D