Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gas overflowing out filler neck

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Grey81z, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Grey81z

Grey81z
    from Orlando

My dad has a 1940 Ford 1/2 ton traditional rod with and 8ba flathead in it. Last week we were at a show and after the truck got filled up and sat on the show field, gas started pouring out of the fuel neck all over the fender. It has an original style 14 gallon tank. What could cause this? I'm pretty sure it sounds like the vent. Also when filling up, you have to pump very slow. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this or had the same issue?

2. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

An original '40 tank vents through the filler. That design can lead to having to fill it slowly. I have a '40, and experience having to fill it slow, or find the right angle for the nozzle to prevent the pump from kicking off.

As for running out, it sounds like you filled it up, and the gas warmed up at the show, expanded, and ran out.....

3. There's your answer in a single post. Well done.

4. Yep, don't fill it so full. Leave some room for expansion and you'll be fine.

5. Grey81z

Grey81z
    from Orlando

Is there any other solution other than not filling it up that far? It has happened once before when the tank wasn't full and was at 1/2 tank. Any modifications that maybe someone else has done

6. You may need a new gas cap. The gasket (if it's cork) may be dried out and not sealing well. If it's rubber it could be dried out and cracked. Get a new one from Drake or Carpenter and as said above, try not to overfill.

7. 2racer

2racer

You are too close to the Bermuda Triangle, messes everything up...

8. Needs driving.:rolleyes:

Sent by a Western Electric Dial-up Modem