Register now to get rid of these ads!

El Mirage November 9th-10th, finally gonna make it, 40 years later!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stormin' Norman1, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Forty years ago for a as special project in the 4H club I belonged to I researched and wrote (what amounted to a binder full of material) on the history of the automobile and auto racing. Much of the material came from books and Magazine articles like Hot Rod or even Popular Mechanics which sometimes covered events like land speed racing at Bonneville. One of the places (events) I researched and wrote about was El Mirage and the ( Southern California Timing Association) SCTA.

Forty years ago also happened to coincide with the 25th Anniversary of Hot Rod magazine so they ran a features of the history of El Mirage dry lake area and the formation of the SCTA. I used information from the articles for my project which was also part of the hot rod and custom scene where so many important cars in history came from, that I wrote about.

However, to a 15 year old farm kid from Alberta, Canada these places where fantasies, places I could dream about, kind of like the playmates in Playboy magazine I would sometimes get hold of but never think of seeing in person.

Fast forward 35 years through all sorts cars and bikes, jobs and businesses and personal shit and I come full circle back to the interests I had when I was 15 years old... traditional rods and customs and the kind of stuff that is covered here on the HAMB.

So finally after watching a video and seeing pictures of the 65th Anniversary of Hot Rod magazine and seeing some of the cars that were featured 40 years ago and discussed in my history project I decided to make a trip to "the salt" and see what it is that I wrote about so many years ago.

My plan is to be there for the 9th and 10th of November but haven't decided whether to rent a motorhome or hotel it for the event. So I was hoping that if anyone had ideas what is best way to stay, to see the racing or what else to do in Southern California for 10 days it would be much appreciated.

Stormin' Norman

2. firingorder1

firingorder1

Well, I was going to say El Mirage gets cold at night in November. But I'm a SoCal wuss. 70 and I'm reaching for a sweatshirt. A motorhome is the handiest as you can arrive on Friday and stay right in the heart of the event. There are hotels in Victorville and Adelanto which is nearby. But were it me I'd opt for the motorhome. There are various auto museums in SoCal that are well worth a visit. I'm sure others will post here with plenty to do while you are here.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

There ya go! Happy Trails, Gary

4. good luck because the last 2 months were cancelled because of the weather! Best time is the season opener in may!

5. Gonna hit up the Playboy Mansion while you're here too? Just sayin,haha....might as well take care of all your dreams.

6. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Thanks for replying all the info I get will be useful.
    Looking at the weather link on the SCTA website I can see that it may not be the best time of year to go and there is the risk of cancellation, however this is the time I have available to go. Like to go in a motorhome but will check out the hotels in the towns you mentioned.

7. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Hey, Dreams really do come true in California. Maybe if I can get the wife to agree.:D

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I will never forget the November snow storm at El Mirage. 12 degrees. I go in my pickup and sleep out. I'm not kidding about snow blowing perpendicular to the ground. It can be cold there. Water froze in the race car. My truck didn't know what to think and didn't want to start. And my Plymouth pulled out the center main bearing web. I didn't care. I was happy to go home.

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'll be there.....!

10. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

DONT JINX IT!:mad: We WILL be out there running, out of the 6 events this year we've ran 2. I dont know what I'd do if I had to wait until May? Look for the Lance Speed Racing banner and stop in and say "hey", our pits are always open to stragglers. Bill are they gonna let you run?

11. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

oh yeah, and to live the full experience, no motorhomes or hotels, sleep in the dirt, thats more traditional:D

12. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Running or a spectator?

Yeah, I heard the event in October was canceled, but I'm hoping this one is a go. I will keep my eye out for your banner and stop by and say "hey". I guess spectators are allowed in the pit area?

Ha Ha, Been there done that. Too many years on a bike. Could bring a tent, the daughter would be into that...might have trouble with the wife.

13. firingorder1

firingorder1

Last report was the lakebed is looking good. One our club guys was out testing. If the weather holds it should be a good meet.

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

15. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

17. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Doug, you can take a picture of my Tank if it'll make you feel better. Wayno

18. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Looks like nice work, hope it helps. I Will keep me eye out for slow moving
    photographers at the starting line who may be in pain. I was reading the SCTA website and couldn't figure out if the public was allowed into that area or not.
    Norm

19. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

You can wander the pits and watch from the start line but to be IN the start line you need credentials. Once again look any of us up and we can get you handled.

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

To be in the staging lanes or on the starting line you need to be with a race car or have a verified affiliation with the media...and you have to sign the waiver of responsibility

21. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'll be there but I'm not running. Plenty of gas and oil but no money.

22. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

Come visit the Rod Riders camp we have a bbq on Sat night.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. 1953girlracer

1953girlracer
    from Redlands

you must be official pit crew to a race car and there are no real media passes at El Mirage. Anyone can get real good shots from the side or father down the track by the timing tower.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

I'll keep a lookout for your camp.

25. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

26. mad-cad

mad-cad

Norm ,we'll be dragging our off topic diesel truck down to El Mirage to make a few passes, swing by and introduce yourself. Look for the white Dodge truck covered in black decals, sticker charged is the term used !
    see ya there
    Tim

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You can get plenty close enough to touch them. I wouldn't. But you could.

28. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Cool, a diesel. And a fast one. I'll be sure to stop by.

Norm

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

30. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal